Evan Gatehouse

Default Urgent ! Can anyone understand these safety data ?

wrote:
I've got this report from Tayana for the Vancouver 460 Pilot
but don't know how good it is.

http://tayana46.tripod.com/safety.htm

If anybody can understand the Righting Arms vs Heel curve and
the numbers on this web page please let me know.

The consensus here seems to be that Tayanas in general are safer
bluewater yachts but I don't know if the pilothouse makes this
Vancouver 460 less stable or more dangerous.

Thanks again for your help.

I can understand this stuff. The stability of this boat
sucks to put it politely.

I've met Robert Harris. He's a good guy who has designed
some nice boats (the Vancouver 27/42 come to mind). But
this doesn't seem like one of the better built ones.

- Angle of vanishing stability of 110 degrees is pretty low.
I wouldn't go offshore in that sort of boat. Even fat
cruising Beneteaus manage better than 115 usually.

- the displacement is really quite high but it is to be
believed because they actually calculated it based on
measured drafts

- the ballast/displacement ratio is overly low, meaning a
tender boat with not enough stability

- the calculated GM is low (not a good thing; should be 3-
3.5' min.)

- the VCG is high (not good) at 1.32' above DWL. I suspect
the pilothouse is contributing to the high VCG

- the righting arm curve is ugly. The area under the 0 part
of the curve should not be nearly the same size as the
portion above. Maybe they were not including the pilothouse
in the calculation but I think it is there (see the bump in
the curve at ~70 degrees).

to be an ideal offshore boat. Due to the size it won't be
knocked down or rolled easily, but if it does, it will take
a lot of wave action to re-right her and she will likely to
be upside down for quite some minutes. I would look elsewhere.

Evan Gatehouse

Gary

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I think the stability curves are wrong. If you plug the numbers into
the formulas at US sailing you get a much higher AVS. 110 degrees just
doesn't make sense. Not only that but the 460's keel, although
seemingly a little light, is bulbous with the weight quite low.
Something is wrong with that graph.

Gaz
Evan Gatehouse

Gary wrote:

I think the stability curves are wrong. If you plug the numbers into
the formulas at US sailing you get a much higher AVS. 110 degrees just
doesn't make sense. Not only that but the 460's keel, although
seemingly a little light, is bulbous with the weight quite low.
Something is wrong with that graph.

Gaz

I didn't find the formula at US Sailing's site but...How do
you find AVS without using a sophisticated stability program
that knows the shape of the hull?

The US Sailing formula may give an indication of ultimate
stability (the capsize screening formula) but that is a very
simple rule of thumb.

The inclining experiment data, which does determine the VCG
of the real boat, is plugged into a stability program
(GHS/Autohydro etc.) that gives the stability curve.

Robert has retired fairly recently but he should be able to
help you with your questions.

Evan Gatehouse

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
Gary wrote:

[...]

Thank you very much for your help. The dealer said he was
going to call Robert Harris for me regarding my concern.
If his design isn't as bad as the report suggests he'll probably
be happy to explain to me why I shouldn't worry too much
about the stability of this boat.
Gary

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
Gary wrote:

[...]

Try he http://www.sailingusa.info/keelboat.htm
Under sailing calculators in the right find angle of vanishing stability.

The problem with the inclining data is that it only takes hull shape and
weight distribution into account. It doesn't allow for things like
pilothouses or foam filled masts. I still think the curve is wrong and
Tayanas claim of an AVS of 0 is probably correct.

Evan Gatehouse

Gary wrote:
Evan Gatehouse wrote:

Gary wrote:

[...]

O.k. I'm a polite guy on usenet but you sir are totally
wrong and beginning to **** me off. I'm a naval architect.
I do this stuff for a living.

The stupid calculator only is used to give an ESTIMATE of
the AVS.

An inclining experiment establishes the VCG of the boat in a
real world test. It does NOT calculate the AVS. For that
you need software that does take into account the shape of
the hull and the pilothouse. GHS and Autohydro DO that!
You could model a foam filled mast as part of the model if
you wished. They are far more trustworthy and are accepted
by USCG for stability calculations of commercail vessels

Here's the formula from US Sailings site. Note that in the
last line, the formula says the AVS = 110 + .....

This says that the AVS is ALWAYS going to be = 110. There
are lots of boats that are 110!

From US Sailings web site:
" This formula gives an estimate of the angle of vanishing
stability or the angle the boat can heel and still right
itself. This formula does not fully take into account the
vertical position of the center of gravity (VCG)."

Screening Stability Value ( SSV ) = ( Beam 2 ) / ( BR * HD
* DV 1/3 )

BR: Ballast Ratio ( Keel Weight / Total Weight )

HD: Hull Draft

DV: The Displacement Volume in cubic meters. DV is
entered as pounds of displacement on the webpage and
converted to cubic meters by the formula:

Displacement Volume in Cubic Meters = ( Weight in
Pounds / 64 )*0.0283168

The Beam and Hull Draft in this formula are in meters.
These values are entered in feet on the webpage and are
converted to meters before SSV calculation.

Angle of Vanishing Stability approximately equals
110 + ( 400 / (SSV-10) )

Gary

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
Gary wrote:

Evan Gatehouse wrote:

Gary wrote:

[...]

From US Sailings web site:
[...]

Glad I'm getting to you Nav Arch. You do seem to have a grasp on the
above formulae but fail to explain why the boat has an AVS of 110 in the
graph and yet the designer and builder both claim it has a much greater
AVS. In fact the extremely high AVS of the Tayana Vancouver 460 is
discussed in many places around the net. There is no way the AVS is 110.

If you really are a Nav Arch and do this for a living, then do it for
us. Work out the numbers using your program and the data available and
give us your results (which are still only an estimate). As a Nav Arch
it should only take you a couple minutes. Right????

You also earlier said :
"- the ballast/displacement ratio is overly low, meaning a tender boat
with not enough stability "
A Nav Arch would know that initial stability is more than lots of
ballast. A raft has no ballast and is not tender. Wouldn't you say
that you are jumping to conclusions by not taking into account hull form
and the location of the ballast?
In other articles on the net, they also talk of the boat as "stiff" and
"stands up to her sails well".

Your turn.

Gaz
Gary

Gary wrote:
Evan Gatehouse wrote:

Gary wrote:

Evan Gatehouse wrote:

Gary wrote:

[...]

Gary wrote

You also earlier said :
"- the ballast/displacement ratio is overly low, meaning a tender boat
with not enough stability "
A Nav Arch would know that initial stability is more than lots of
ballast. A raft has no ballast and is not tender. Wouldn't you say
that you are jumping to conclusions by not taking into account hull form
and the location of the ballast?
In other articles on the net, they also talk of the boat as "stiff" and
"stands up to her sails well".

Your turn.

Gaz

Okay, my turn again. I just googled you and see you may be a Nav Arch.
So why don't you calculate the AVS?

I am quite confident (and I am not a Nav Arch) that the boat will have a
better stability curve than is represented by the one posted.

If it doesn't, and it has an AVS of 110, I wouldn't touch it for
anything but coastal wandering. It will surprise me because the AVS
claims for the 460 are 0 degrees on all the Tayana websites and the
other Harris boats are so seaworthy.

Really though, since we are not doing the buying, this is just an
interesting discussion. No need to get ****ed off.

Gary