Gary

Default Urgent ! Can anyone understand these safety data ?

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
wrote:

I've got this report from Tayana for the Vancouver 460 Pilot
but don't know how good it is.

http://tayana46.tripod.com/safety.htm

If anybody can understand the Righting Arms vs Heel curve and
the numbers on this web page please let me know.

The consensus here seems to be that Tayanas in general are safer
bluewater yachts but I don't know if the pilothouse makes this
Vancouver 460 less stable or more dangerous.

Thanks again for your help.

I can understand this stuff. The stability of this boat sucks to put it
politely.

I've met Robert Harris. He's a good guy who has designed some nice
boats (the Vancouver 27/42 come to mind). But this doesn't seem like
one of the better built ones.

- Angle of vanishing stability of 110 degrees is pretty low. I wouldn't
go offshore in that sort of boat. Even fat cruising Beneteaus manage
better than 115 usually.

- the displacement is really quite high but it is to be believed because
they actually calculated it based on measured drafts

- the ballast/displacement ratio is overly low, meaning a tender boat
with not enough stability

- the calculated GM is low (not a good thing; should be 3- 3.5' min.)

- the VCG is high (not good) at 1.32' above DWL. I suspect the
pilothouse is contributing to the high VCG

- the righting arm curve is ugly. The area under the 0 part of the
curve should not be nearly the same size as the portion above. Maybe
they were not including the pilothouse in the calculation but I think it
is there (see the bump in the curve at ~70 degrees).

ideal offshore boat. Due to the size it won't be knocked down or rolled
easily, but if it does, it will take a lot of wave action to re-right
her and she will likely to be upside down for quite some minutes. I
would look elsewhere.

Evan Gatehouse

I think the stability curves are wrong. If you plug the numbers into
the formulas at US sailing you get a much higher AVS. 110 degrees just
doesn't make sense. Not only that but the 460's keel, although
seemingly a little light, is bulbous with the weight quite low.
Something is wrong with that graph.

Gaz