catwithhat

Default ESPAR exhaust silencer

I have a sailboat with an ESPAR D4 diesel forced air heater. The
heater works find and inside, the noise is acceptable. However,
outside, the exhaust noise is such, that I'd be embarressed to turn the
heater on at a quiet dock or anchorage. My boat doesn't have an
exhaust muffler/silencer installed, nor and intake silencer. Has
anybody on this list have experience with those? Are they effective?

Thanks much
Cat

Evan Gatehouse

catwithhat wrote:
I have a sailboat with an ESPAR D4 diesel forced air heater. The
heater works find and inside, the noise is acceptable. However,
outside, the exhaust noise is such, that I'd be embarressed to turn the
heater on at a quiet dock or anchorage. My boat doesn't have an
exhaust muffler/silencer installed, nor and intake silencer. Has
anybody on this list have experience with those? Are they effective?

Thanks much
Cat

Yeah, they help a fair bit. Without them, Espars always
sound like a small gas turbine.

Evan Gatehouse