Default Should I buy a Tayana, Beneteau, Hunter or something else ?

First I wanted to buy a Tayana Vancouver 460 because I like
the pilothouse design. Then I went to look at some Beneteaus
with cast iron keels and this made me worry about Tayana's
fiberglass keel getting damaged if I go island hopping in the
South Pacific or sail to my Lanta Island property. Then today
I talked to a Hunter salesman and he said that lead keels are
the best because they can absorb energy if I hit something
and are easier to repair than fiberglass.

If you were in my position would you just go ahead and get
a Tayana and not worry too much about the keel ? I need to
have 3 sleeping cabins and would like a boat that can be set
up for singlehanded sailing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Capt. JG

"MMC" wrote in message
Naw, I'd get the Macgregor 26.
wrote in message
nk.net...

First I wanted to buy a Tayana Vancouver 460 because I like
the pilothouse design. Then I went to look at some Beneteaus
with cast iron keels and this made me worry about Tayana's
fiberglass keel getting damaged if I go island hopping in the
South Pacific or sail to my Lanta Island property. Then today
I talked to a Hunter salesman and he said that lead keels are
the best because they can absorb energy if I hit something
and are easier to repair than fiberglass.

If you were in my position would you just go ahead and get
a Tayana and not worry too much about the keel ? I need to
have 3 sleeping cabins and would like a boat that can be set
up for singlehanded sailing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Talk to Jim, if he gets back alive.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

G&G

Skip all of them. Get a Catalina.
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"MMC" wrote in message
Naw, I'd get the Macgregor 26.
wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

"G&G" wrote in message
. ..
Skip all of them. Get a Catalina.
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"MMC" wrote in message
Naw, I'd get the Macgregor 26.
wrote in message
nk.net...

First I wanted to buy a Tayana Vancouver 460 because I like
the pilothouse design. Then I went to look at some Beneteaus
with cast iron keels and this made me worry about Tayana's
fiberglass keel getting damaged if I go island hopping in the
South Pacific or sail to my Lanta Island property. Then today
I talked to a Hunter salesman and he said that lead keels are
the best because they can absorb energy if I hit something
and are easier to repair than fiberglass.

If you were in my position would you just go ahead and get
a Tayana and not worry too much about the keel ? I need to
have 3 sleeping cabins and would like a boat that can be set
up for singlehanded sailing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Talk to Jim, if he gets back alive.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Which one?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Scotty

"Capt. JG" wrote ...
Skip all of them. Get a Catalina.

Which one?

The Island.

"Armond Perretta" wrote:

Before you spend a nickel on boats or tropical islands,
check to see if your medical insurance already includes
psychiatric.

Good luck, buddo, 'cause you're sure gonna need it.

I've already spent more than $300,000 on my island property
and will be sailing there with a clinical psychologist :-)

"Scotty" wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote ...
Skip all of them. Get a Catalina.

Which one?

The Island.

The Island 310 with 4'4" draft is nice but too small for me.
I would like to have 3 staterooms and 2 heads or at least
2 staterooms plus a work room or utility room for my cat's
litter boxes.

What do you think about the Morgan 440 with 4'11" draft ?

http://www.catalinayachts.com/yachts...ct=model&id=74

A salesperson in Marina del Ray just told me that the new
Hunters (2000 or newer) are also very well built and good
for ocean crossing but they still don't have a good name
because the earlier models were not that good.

Beneteau lured Bobsprit's "type" Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 2nd 05 11:43 PM
Good advice - get rid of that Beneteau . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 2nd 05 11:31 PM
Group for Beneteau Capt. Rob Cruising 3 November 2nd 05 01:25 AM
Beneteau list [email protected] General 0 November 1st 05 02:24 PM
Any sailboat similar to Tayana 460 Pilot ? [email protected] Cruising 0 October 22nd 05 10:55 PM