Earl Colby Pottinger

Default My name is Earl Colby Pottinger

For some stupid reason a number of people insist I am the same person who
wants to cross the ocean in a MacGregor 26.

Why, I don't know. A simple google search would show that I have posted here
before for years. Not everyone's idea of an ideal crusing boat is a big
monster that needs thousands of dollars to buy, plus docking fees, and/or
plus a trailer and the car powerful enough to move it safely-.

I am a person who has been camping about southern and northern Ontario for
almost two decades. And I don't mean camping where the local store is a ten
minutes walk away from the camp site. Since I bought/built-up my cabin I
find I would like to see the landscapes you don't find in Ontario.

I also find that I am not a winter person, so why not put the canoe on top of
the truck? Add some outriggers and go exploring elsewhere [South].

For some reason a number of people seem scare to move around the Bahamas in a
canoe, they however will not say why the Bahamas is so dangerous. And as for
the number of small islands, I have real doubts that every single piece of
land is private property or that if it is that a nice, polite inquiring can
not find someone who is willing to let you camp overnight as long as you
clean up before you leave.

How strange, a cruising advice group that tries to discourage a person
without giving good reasons.

Please note, the main question I asked from the very beginning was never
touched/answered on how to transport the canoe to the Bahamas and back.

Earl Colby Pottinger

I also note that the only people who show any encouragement seem to be
Florida fans, no wonder all the SnowBirds go there.

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Jan

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:37:02 -0600, Earl Colby Pottinger
wrote:

[...]

As a fellow Ontarian I can empathise with your desire to leave during the colder
seasons.g Somehow I must have missed your earlier posts re a canoe with
out-riggers. How can this rig be overly dangerous? I seem to recall reading
that the Polynesians did just this years ago, and crossed vast tracts of ocean
doing so.
I think the main thing about such a venture is the confidence you have in
yourself at being able to manage such a trip. As canoes are not my favourite
form of transport, I wouldn't do it, but I'm not you.
Do you have any means of jury-rigging a sail of some sort to make the going a
bit easier? Or are you planning in paddling the whole way? The main problem I
could see would be making enough head-way to cross the Gulf-Stream, but no doubt
if one started far enough south, that could be overcome. If it's a dream you
hold, go for it. There will always be nay-sayers to discourage you. Regarding
transport to the Bahamas, if you don't intend making the whole trip by sea, have
you explored the costs involved in air-cargo? Or even deck-cargo on a
freighter, if such things travel in the Bahamian waters? Even arranging with
someone who has a vessel large enough to carry the canoe and the bits and pieces
on deck?
I am assuming you will have some navigation devices, such as charts and compass
and the ability to use them.g
My apologies if you have already covered these points.

Jan
"If you can't take a joke,you shouldn't have joined"
d parker

"Earl Colby Pottinger" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry. I missed the memo that said "give positive advice only". I gave you
a suggestion for your transport probelm and you chose to ignore the thread
mid conversation. Asshole! I think you need to try "alt.poor.little.me" in
future.

DP

Gary

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote:
[...]

Earl, good luck. You want to take your canoe to the Bahamas? Get the
guy with the MacGregor 26 to tow you. He's up for an adventure too.

I think you'll find that the oddballs in the Caribbean far out number
the oddballs in northern Ontario and people won't want some bum in a
canoe crashing on their beach. They buy places on islands to get away
from that kind of stuff.

Gaz
A very experienced N Ont camper and world cruiser.