rhys

Default Old Autohelm 800/1000 schematic/diagram

Google told me that Steve of "Good Intentions" appears to have once
had old Autohelm schematics. I have a working tiller pilot that
strongly resembles the one in this manual

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/S...H800Analog.pdf

and I have a second one in superficially better shape that isn't
working and has the sound of small pieces moving inside the casing.

So my plan is to fix the non-working one, or scavenge parts. The best
way to do either is with a schematic. So if anyone can guide me to
one...

One puzzle is that I could have sworn the units were called Autohelm
1000s. They are pre-interface with anything, and work simply with an
"off/calm/rough/vane" switch, and a compass heading dial. But the
AH1000 manual on the Raymarine site shows a push-button (more recent)
model, with the only "dial" tiller pilot being the AH800. Mine has the
standard two-pin 12 v plug and mounts on the starboard locker top and
just "sits" on a pin on top of my tiller, around the mid-point. It
works so well that I see no need to change it, particularly if I can
revive or scavenge its twin, disposed at the "free stuff" locker at my
boat club.

So hailing Steve, or anyone with a lead on how to troubleshoot these
old machines.

TIA,
R.
Steve

You are correct, Some where I have a file with a schematic from a fellow who
"Reverse Engineered" the Autohelm circuit boat. I think it was for the AH
and not the much older Combi units.

I can't find that file on this computer and it should be on another that is
not on line right now. I will try to recover that file and post it for you
in the next couple days.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:11:00 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

You are correct, Some where I have a file with a schematic from a fellow who
"Reverse Engineered" the Autohelm circuit boat. I think it was for the AH
and not the much older Combi units.

I can't find that file on this computer and it should be on another that is
not on line right now. I will try to recover that file and post it for you
in the next couple days.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Thank you, sir. I saw your handle on some 2003 posts on other forums
(thanks to Google), but apparently you don't have the big page of
scanned tiller schematics any more. I confirmed today that both the
working and the dead models *are* Autohelm 1000s but the layout of
both is very close to the Autohelm 800 manual I was able to download,
i.e. with a two pin 12 V connector, a SS yoke mount, a four-position
control and a largish compass rose heading control.

Hope this helps, and thanks.

R.
Steve

Ok!

I fired up an old computer and managed to recover a bunch of old files that
use to be on my ole Ingrid website.

I created a separate Autohelm FTP directory on the site and uploaded a
bunch of stuff.
http://www.hctc.com/~esteve/INGRID%2...tohelm%20Info/

I suspect, what your looking for will be in the two Word files.

AHcontrol head CCT1.doc AHcontrol head CCT2.doc(the second file is a small
portion of the schematic that was cropped off during some process.)Any
thanks for this schematic should go to some cruiser who reverse engineered
this system some years ago. It was forward to me about 6 years ago.

I hope this will help.

BTW. I will be closing (what is left of) this site. I recommend downloading
all or anything you want. I will eventually set up a new site but not sure
where or when this will happen. In the mean time All are welcome..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

rhys

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:49:59 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I hope this will help.

Help? It's a gold mine...exactly what I needed. A few hours and a
couple of test leads should help me scavenge or repair the other
Autohelm 1000 as I am guessing that the only difference between the
old 800 model and my two examples is output power. Also, your PDF
scans of the manual for the 800 is superior to the Raymarine one,
which was indifferently done. Even the text file is helpful, esp. if I
farm out the Frankenstein aspects of the job to someone brighter than
me with a soldering iron.

BTW. I will be closing (what is left of) this site. I recommend downloading
all or anything you want. I will eventually set up a new site but not sure
where or when this will happen. In the mean time All are welcome..

Thanks so much, Steve. I d/led the stuff of interest to me, but I
would highly recommend this folder to anyone with older Autohelm
models. Electrons are cheap, but a new autopilot can cost thousands
when sometimes it's just a tiny part that's on the fritz.

R.

Junior Member

Hi, I have Autohelm 1000 that was very good companion for a number of years, but has developed a fault recently. Would you still have the schema documents? I'd rather save the old one I have than buy a new one. I like the old design and there is a cost thing as well...

Cheers

Milan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Autohelm 4000 Richard Lane Electronics 1 October 17th 05 05:26 PM
WTB: Autohelm 4000 control head in Washington state Richard Lane Marketplace 0 October 16th 05 12:35 AM
Autohelm 4000 Richard Lane Electronics 0 October 15th 05 02:21 PM