Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dennis Pogson

Default paraffin refigerator?

heftenfleunter wrote:
Ahoy, I'm reading the Hiscock's account of their early '60's
Wanderer IV journey in which he describes their refer unit as "a
paraffin unit which costs pennies a day and makes no noise". Man, that
sounds good to me. Even makes ice. Since they're English paraffin is
similar to kerosene? What's the scoop? The solutions for small
sailboats I've seen were 12vdc and sucked an easy 5 watts while
rattling for hours.

There are butane gas refrigerators which burn a flame, so I guess the
paraffin ones work on a similar principle. Must confess I've never seen one.
In the UK, "paraffin" tends to refer to the highly-refined version of
kerosene, the latter being used for cleaning purposes in garages and
workshops.

Dennis.