Chip Chester

Default On board self-built Genset

So here's a question that's been taunting my one remaining brain cell...

With the galvanic corrosion/sacrificial anode war raging continuously,
might there be a way to harness some of that energy for electric power
generation?

It obviously won't be enough to run your AC and fridge, but could it light
LED's, trickle charge low voltage batteries, or be put to some other use?
Sort of like a potato battery for boats. You would, of course, have to
feed it sacrificial hunks of metal, but the fumes wouldn't likely kill you.

Another thought was using Peltier junctions which, if I recall correctly
like temperature differentials, between hot engine and cold water to
produce power. Granted, the differential varies over time, but with
the ballast requirements in most sailboats, it seems rows of these down low
would not introduce too much of a weight penalty.

Or perhaps a little "clockwork" generator that rides on your anchor
line/chain
to turn wave action into electricity. No good in dead calm, but you could
always jump up and down on the deck...

Of course, this post is unencumbered by any real scientific analysis,
so it could be used as ballast as well...

Back to lurking.

"Chip" in landlocked Columbus

Doug Dotson

My ENTEC West is the smallest I have ever come across. Works very well.

Doug

"Roger Long" wrote in message
.. .
That makes me wonder. What is the smallest and lightest diesel engine
available?

There used to be some model airplane diesels but I don't mean that small

--

Roger Long