Roger Long

Default No lifejackets on Maine MOB vessel

According to the paper this morning, the crew discovered at sea that
all the lifejackets were gone. They were presumably pilfered.
Prefloats are not part of the boating culture the way preflights are
in aviation. This is a good example of why they should be.

The lack of communication from the son was also reported to be because
of low batteries. Sea and wind conditions were pretty gnarly and we
all know how much more likely engine problems are in rough conditions.
A charging problem might easily go undetected on a shorthanded boat in
this weather.

An emergency battery that can be easily switched into the radio
circuit is something I'm going to install. It may be a dry cell set
that won't self discharge and can be completely isolated from the rest
of the system. With our little diesel, it might even start the engine
in a pinch.

This accident is starting to sound a lot like many aviation accidents,
experienced pilot, challenging weather, high work load. A couple of
not immediately critical items (lifejackets, charging problem?) get
over looked and things snowball.

--

Roger Long

imagineero

pre/post floats are the norm for every coastguard operation i've seen,
and having been involved in it its also something i do on my own boat.
I dont actually have a checklist with numbers on it, but i've got a
steady routine i go through with my boat. Checking the bungs, fuel
levels, rigging and sails is about it. Im the only person to use the
boat so i dont frequently go through all the items in storage, but i do
remove them all and check them about once every other month. More to
be able to remember what there is than anything else i guess.

As far as the batteries go... you can easily add an extra battery to
your existing one but put an isolator on it. This acts like a one way
switch, the battery can be charged by the charging system
automatically, but if the voltage in the system drops the battery will
be disconnected.

Roger Long

A true emergency battery should be as far above the waterline as
possible. While an isolated battery such as you describe would be
perfectly acceptable, I think there is a lot to be said in simplicity
for a dry cell set. Anything you charge may vent, overcharge, self
discharge, sulfate, etc. Dry cells replaced at proper intervals would
be very reliable and give you more flexibility to locate them above
the radio so you can be transmitting up to the last minute.

I don't know myself which way I will go but it's food for thought.

--

Roger Long

MMC

Roger,
What accident are you reffering to? All we are getting on the news down here
in sunny FL is hurricane doom and gloom.
MMC
"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

MMC

What about those self contained jump start things? Handle on top, cables,
one's I've seen are yellow.
I've thought about using one with a trolling motor for dinghy propulsion.
MMC
"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

Rosalie B.

"Roger Long" wrote:

According to the paper this morning, the crew discovered at sea that
all the lifejackets were gone. They were presumably pilfered.
Prefloats are not part of the boating culture the way preflights are
in aviation. This is a good example of why they should be.

Also if they had the habit of WEARING the life jackets when underway,
they would have discovered it before they left.

The lack of communication from the son was also reported to be because
of low batteries. Sea and wind conditions were pretty gnarly and we
all know how much more likely engine problems are in rough conditions.
A charging problem might easily go undetected on a shorthanded boat in
this weather.

An emergency battery that can be easily switched into the radio
circuit is something I'm going to install. It may be a dry cell set
that won't self discharge and can be completely isolated from the rest
of the system. With our little diesel, it might even start the engine
in a pinch.

This accident is starting to sound a lot like many aviation accidents,
experienced pilot, challenging weather, high work load. A couple of
not immediately critical items (lifejackets, charging problem?) get
over looked and things snowball.

grandma Rosalie

Roger Long

"barry lawson" wrote in message
What would a lifejacket have done?

Good point. In this case, nothing. The poor kid couldn't even use
the radios to call for help so it's pretty unlikely that he could have
maneuvered a 41 foot sailboat in 30 plus mph winds back to pick up
anyone.

--

Roger Long

Jim Carter

"barry lawson" wrote in message
What would a lifejacket have done?

If he had a life jacket with a harness and the harness was clipped to the
life lines, he would not have been lost over the side. Most people that I
know use the safety harness and life jackets when they are off shore. I
always wear the Mustang SOS inflatable life jacket when I am on the Great
Lakes.
Jim