beaufortnc

Default watermaker pickling - how long does it last

Hi,

We bought a 8gph watermaker in the Spring and got quite a deal,
remanufactured by a highly reputable company.

I'm now close to installing, and in my research, I've read several
places that the pickling process is only good for 3 months or so.

This was never relayed to me, and I'll admit I wasn't experienced
enough to know better.

It's now been about 8 months and the pressure vessel's been in storage
all of that time.

Q: Am I screwed? Is the membrane ruined and if so, why?

Thanks,

Mike.

Bil

On 18 Oct 2005 16:51:22 -0700, "beaufortnc"
wrote:

We bought a 8gph watermaker in the Spring and got quite a deal,
remanufactured by a highly reputable company.

I'm now close to installing, and in my research, I've read several
places that the pickling process is only good for 3 months or so.

This was never relayed to me, and I'll admit I wasn't experienced
enough to know better.

It's now been about 8 months and the pressure vessel's been in storage
all of that time.

Q: Am I screwed? Is the membrane ruined and if so, why?

If the membrane has remained wet, the membrane may still be
functional. If the membrane has dried, then its functionality will
likely be quite impaired.

According to one manufacturer of the RO membranes, membranes age as
they sit unused. And the warranty is running too. So when I bought my
membranes, that manufacturer offered me the option of having the
shipping of the membranes delayed until after I had finished
installing the rest of the RO system and was ready to quit coastal
waters.

Pickling, adding a food preservative (eg sodium sulfite) to stop
bacterial and fungal growth on the membranes and in the pressure
vessel, is widely regarded as being effective for at least 3 months. I
know of several RO systems, on yachts, that have been pickled for 1
year or more. When left for a long time, the preservative leaves its
mark on hoses (especially PVC ones), bronze fittings, and stainless
steel.

Given the option, I prefer not to pickle my RO membranes and instead
to flush them frequently (the frequency depends on ambient temperature
- in the tropics, I flush every 3rd day), with unchlorinated fresh
water.

Cheers
Geoff Schultz

"beaufortnc" wrote in news:1129679482.731542.179180
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Hi,

We bought a 8gph watermaker in the Spring and got quite a deal,
remanufactured by a highly reputable company.

I'm now close to installing, and in my research, I've read several
places that the pickling process is only good for 3 months or so.

This was never relayed to me, and I'll admit I wasn't experienced
enough to know better.

It's now been about 8 months and the pressure vessel's been in storage
all of that time.

Q: Am I screwed? Is the membrane ruined and if so, why?

Thanks,

Mike.

I left my boat in the Caribbean for hurricane season for the past 5 years
and pickle it for 5+ months. It's worked fine. I would prefer to re-do it
every 3 months, but that isn't an option. The real answer will be firing
it back up and seeing what kind of output you get.

-- Geoff
chuck

Yeah, the pickling chemicals tend to be hard on parts of the watermaker.
Flushing with distilled water every 2-3 weeks is what Village Marine
recommends. If that is not an option, then pickling is your only other
choice and there may be some adverse consequences. I don't think there
are hard and fast data available to support an assertion that after x
months of pickling the WM self-destructs. Lots of variables, many of
which are beyond your control.

Chuck
Glenn Ashmore

Be sure to flush with fresh product water or distilled water. The residual
chlorine in tap water will eat membranes quickly.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"chuck" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Yeah, the pickling chemicals tend to be hard on parts of the watermaker.
Flushing with distilled water every 2-3 weeks is what Village Marine
recommends. If that is not an option, then pickling is your only other
choice and there may be some adverse consequences. I don't think there are
hard and fast data available to support an assertion that after x months
of pickling the WM self-destructs. Lots of variables, many of which are
beyond your control.

Chuck

Glenn Ashmore

I wouldn't worry. New membranes are packed with a mix of inert distilled
water and preservative. They do have a shelf life but it is a lot longer
than a year or two. While the membrane may have lost 2 or 3% of its capacity
you don't need to worry about pickling until you have exposed it to the
bacteria in seawater. Even then it is very common to leave watermakers
pickled for 5 or 6 months while on the hard. Also there are acid washes
that can be used to restore some capacity to older membranes.