Larry

WaIIy wrote in
:

You will get several replies. One thing I would strongly suggest is a
proper waterproof box, preferably "O" ring sealed.

I found out the hard way.

I worry about "a reasonable price", myself. What's "a reasonable price"
when the wife has cut off her finger 50 miles from shore? What's "a
reasonable price" when something is wrong with the kids? What's "a
reasonable price" when Dad is incapacitated, usually the only REAL sailor
aboard who can handle her, the wife not strong enough and the kids not
allowed?

Nope...First Aid, just like the liferaft, ditch bag, GPS-enabled 406 Mhz
EPIRB and other safety equipment is no time to get CHEAP. If you can't
afford good safety equipment...you shouldn't be "out there". Go by the
safety-at-sea shop and buy the right stuff. Take it back to them for
proper refit at the interval they tell you.....just like the liferaft and
flares.

If it's a daysailor/dock condo...disregard this message...(c;

--
Larry
Courtney Thomas

Larry,

Don't believe I used the word cheap anywhere :-) though I don't ascribe to
the view that quality inherently correlates with quality.

Maybe a better way to pose the intent of my question might have been...
a competitively favorable price. I also did not imply anything deficient,
only favorably priced and sufficient. In other words, in the replying
poster's opinion, what is a source for a sufficient kit at a competitively
favorable price.

If a person was so lacking in judgment as to allow price alone to dictate
their choice in this matter, I doubt they would even bother with a kit to
begin with ;-)

But having read many of your previous posts, I assume you are trying to
help those that are so remiss as to be 1st Aid challenged in the first
place, avoid further mishap.

My hope is that I'm not as inept as I apparently appear...

Thank you for your suggestions.

Cordially,

Courtney

I worry about "a reasonable price", myself. What's "a reasonable price"
when the wife has cut off her finger 50 miles from shore? What's "a
reasonable price" when something is wrong with the kids? What's "a
reasonable price" when Dad is incapacitated, usually the only REAL sailor
aboard who can handle her, the wife not strong enough and the kids not
allowed?

Nope...First Aid, just like the liferaft, ditch bag, GPS-enabled 406 Mhz
EPIRB and other safety equipment is no time to get CHEAP. If you can't
afford good safety equipment...you shouldn't be "out there". Go by the
safety-at-sea shop and buy the right stuff. Take it back to them for
proper refit at the interval they tell you.....just like the liferaft and
flares.

If it's a daysailor/dock condo...disregard this message...(c;

PocoLoco

Default Is there a proper 1st Aid Kit that can be bought "off the shelf" at a reasonable price ?

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 03:25:52 GMT, WaIIy wrote:

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 04:07:59 GMT, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

Appreciatively,
Courtney

You will get several replies. One thing I would strongly suggest is a
proper waterproof box, preferably "O" ring sealed.

I found out the hard way.

Tupperware storage boxes are great for a first aid kit. We've used ours for
several years now, with no leaks.

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes
Doug Dotson

West Marine sells a number of them. I can't remember the brand but
they come in different sizes basd upon your style od cruising.

Doug

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
news
Appreciatively,
Courtney

Larry

Courtney Thomas wrote in
news
My hope is that I'm not as inept as I apparently appear...

Thank you for your suggestions.

Oh, sorry....Every time I see safety equipment worrying about price, I
think of all those that have died, needlessly, or gotten lost at sea for
want of the simplest things....

The guys at the safety-at-sea places have the best first aid kits. I'm not
sure I'd be much of a surgeon like the manuals talk about in them,
though....especially flogging about in 12' seas. I can hardly make a
sandwich in those conditions. Me with a knife in the waves is scary!

--
Larry

Meye5

make one up you lazzie ass. it will then have precisely what you want
and need? are you so mindless that you cant do this? you sound like a
mindless consumer. bob, friend to cpt. neil and like minded
fellows of the sea.

scott

I've had a West Marine "400" kit on our boat for a couple of years and it
seems about right for the the sort of problems - cuts, sprains, sea
sickness - we've encountered in cruising a few hours or a day at most away
from an emergency room. The contents are logically arranged and packed in
individual resealable plastic bags and a family doctor who looked through it
was
impressed with the logical organisation and practicality of the manual that
accompanies the kit. For an extended off-shore voyage I would "heavy it
up" with advice from a doctor but for coastal cruising I like it.
Scott

johnhh

Larry, it seems the Coast Guard doesn't agree with your safety over
economics view. Over weight people on the NY tour boat that capsized is on
of the potential causes being considered. Since the population is plumping
up, boat capacities need to be reconsidered.

"Asked why the Coast Guard did not move more quickly on the
weight-per-person calculation, McArdle said: "It has such wide-ranging
implications. You need to address the economic impact on the industry,
looking at the scope. It's not something where we can just say, 'Now
passenger ferries must carry 20 fewer people.'""

"Larry" wrote in message
WaIIy wrote in
:

[...]

Bought another boat -- $120.00 12 ft Starcraft with trailer Real Name General 6 July 3rd 05 06:22 PM
Bought repaired canoe - positioning of seats/carry yoke correct? Guy Touring 2 July 18th 04 07:41 PM
Proper sealant use Dan Boat Building 3 June 28th 04 01:53 AM
bought a GPS Parallax Cruising 11 May 13th 04 10:03 PM
OT Hijacking a discussion, was Bought cool new digital charger....$89? Den73740 Electronics 8 January 31st 04 10:08 PM