Jere Lull

Default Barnacles on inboard shaft

In article .com,
"boater435" wrote:

The guy that said something about being over zinked. Seemed to
think that a small amount of electrosis might help with barnacles.

We were told not to zinc the shaft for that reason, but I was always too
chicken to trust it. Right now, our shaft and prop are completely
isolated electrically from the rest of the boat: rubber drive saver to
the transmission, strut not bonded. The only problem is that it's a
bronze prop and stainless shaft. We lose half a zinc every year. When we
switched to a MaxProp, we started losing half of *both* zincs each
season.

Oh, and the growth is incredible, no matter what I do or don't do to the
prop.

I'm half tempted to switch back to a bronze shaft.

--
Jere Lull