krj

Default perkins water flow direction

I finally got around to installing a new hot water heater. The heat
exchanger connections on the water heater are labeled in/out. On the
perkins 4-108 there is a riser on the head water jacket and a connection
on the exhaust water jacket. Which one is "out" of the 4-108 that goes
to the "in" on the hot water heater? The hoses were removed sometime ago
so I don't have that as a guide.
krj
Larry

krj wrote in
:

Which one is "out" of the 4-108 that goes
to the "in" on the hot water heater?

I think out on the 4-108 is the one on the head. It's been a while. Why
not just hook 'em up to the water heater and start the Perkins. Which ever
one gets hot FIRST is the out of the engine to hook to the in on the tank.
You can always just swap the hoses on the tank if you got it backwards.

--
Larry
mickey

I believe the one out of the head is the "out" as well. I did this two
years ago. A word of warning; my heat exchanger was pre-plumbed with
barbs for a smaller diameter hose than the perkins coolant hose. I
believe the lower flow rate may have adverse effects in cooling the
engine. My boat was intalled with a by-pass and a cock, which I can
fully open to allow full water flow through the water heater system.
When the cock is closed (all coolant is diverted through the water
heater), the engine keeps a higher temperature. Usually, I keep it
"cracked" or open. Of course, remember that you will have to bleed
the coolant system every time you play with those hoses if your water
heater is installed higher than the engine.

mickey

krj

mickey wrote:
I believe the one out of the head is the "out" as well. I did this two
years ago. A word of warning; my heat exchanger was pre-plumbed with
barbs for a smaller diameter hose than the perkins coolant hose. I
believe the lower flow rate may have adverse effects in cooling the
engine. My boat was intalled with a by-pass and a cock, which I can
fully open to allow full water flow through the water heater system.
When the cock is closed (all coolant is diverted through the water
heater), the engine keeps a higher temperature. Usually, I keep it
"cracked" or open. Of course, remember that you will have to bleed
the coolant system every time you play with those hoses if your water
heater is installed higher than the engine.

mickey

Thanks to Larry and Mickey for the info
krj

Larry

krj wrote in
:

Thanks to Larry and Mickey for the info
krj

Now, where you gonna put the 200 gallon water tank so we can all take hot
showers offshore?.....(c;

One of Lionheart's finest features is the huge 200 gallon water tank in the
keel. Oh, those showers feel SO good, either in the head or in the cockpit
with the hand sprayer....after a hot day sailing in the SC sun.

It's 96 this afternoon in Charleston....whew!

--
Larry
krj

Well, I have a 112 gal tank under the cabin sole and an 80 gal under the
"V" berth. So I guess we will have to take a couple fewer showere than
on Lionheart.
krj

Larry wrote:

krj wrote in
:

Thanks to Larry and Mickey for the info
krj

Now, where you gonna put the 200 gallon water tank so we can all take hot
showers offshore?.....(c;

One of Lionheart's finest features is the huge 200 gallon water tank in the
keel. Oh, those showers feel SO good, either in the head or in the cockpit
with the hand sprayer....after a hot day sailing in the SC sun.

It's 96 this afternoon in Charleston....whew!

Larry

krj wrote in
:

Well, I have a 112 gal tank under the cabin sole and an 80 gal under the
"V" berth. So I guess we will have to take a couple fewer showere than
on Lionheart.
krj

Excellent! So many boats have those tiny tanks you're afraid to wash your
hands. Good luck with your new hot water system.

--
Larry