Don White

Default Hughes 36 sailboat

Anyone familiar with mid seventies Hughes 36 sailboat?
Not much to be found on the net.
From what I can gather...
some Hughes boats came in 'kit' form. You would buy the hull and
finish yourself.
Came equipped with Atomic 4 gasoline engine
Sell for less tham most other comparable boats, but could be good
deal because of this fact.
Any insights would be appreciated...as a friend is thinking of
purchasing one.

Don White

"Don White" wrote in message

Anyone familiar with mid seventies Hughes 36 sailboat?
Not much to be found on the net.
From what I can gather...
some Hughes boats came in 'kit' form. You would buy the hull and
finish yourself.
Came equipped with Atomic 4 gasoline engine
Sell for less tham most other comparable boats, but could be good
deal because of this fact.
Any insights would be appreciated...as a friend is thinking of purchasing
one.

Doug...
I can't remember what port you sail out of. Does your friend have his
listed somewhere we can view the specs??
Evan Gatehouse

Don White wrote:
Anyone familiar with mid seventies Hughes 36 sailboat?
Not much to be found on the net.
From what I can gather...
some Hughes boats came in 'kit' form. You would buy the hull and
finish yourself.
Came equipped with Atomic 4 gasoline engine
Sell for less tham most other comparable boats, but could be good
deal because of this fact.
Any insights would be appreciated...as a friend is thinking of
purchasing one.

Most (all?) build in the early eighties were factory boats.
Lots of chopper gun work in my parents Hughes 31. Average
construction quality, decent woodwork. I know of the 35 but
not the 36.

Evan Gatehouse
Ryk

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 03:48:05 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Anyone familiar with mid seventies Hughes 36 sailboat?
Not much to be found on the net.
From what I can gather...
some Hughes boats came in 'kit' form. You would buy the hull and
finish yourself.
Came equipped with Atomic 4 gasoline engine
Sell for less tham most other comparable boats, but could be good
deal because of this fact.
Any insights would be appreciated...as a friend is thinking of
purchasing one.

I'm sitting here on my 1979 Hughes 35. All factory finish. Original A4
that runs fine. Bought for CDN$40K in 2001. I'm very pleased. Check
that you find the berths comfortable. They are short and narrow. Fine
bow and narrow stern mean it's smaller than you might think for the
length. The fore-triangle is big (14.5x44) so the stock winches are
probably too light. A pair of Lewmar 35STs works well for me.

Ryk

Don White

wrote:

Anyone familiar with mid seventies Hughes 36 sailboat?
Not much to be found on the net.
From what I can gather...
some Hughes boats came in 'kit' form. You would buy the hull and
finish yourself.
Came equipped with Atomic 4 gasoline engine
Sell for less tham most other comparable boats, but could be good
deal because of this fact.
Any insights would be appreciated...as a friend is thinking of
purchasing one.

I'm sitting here on my 1979 Hughes 35. All factory finish. Original A4
that runs fine. Bought for CDN$40K in 2001. I'm very pleased. Check
that you find the berths comfortable. They are short and narrow. Fine
bow and narrow stern mean it's smaller than you might think for the
length. The fore-triangle is big (14.5x44) so the stock winches are
probably too light. A pair of Lewmar 35STs works well for me.

Ryk

On another newsgroup I was describing the bulging hull shape. (pregnant
whale was the best I could do.) A couple of poster said the correct
term was 'tumblehome'. Sound familiar?
Gordon Wedman

wrote:

Anyone familiar with mid seventies Hughes 36 sailboat?
Not much to be found on the net.
From what I can gather...
[...]

Hard to say without seeing the boat.
"Tumblehome" means the deck is narrower than the widest part of the hull so
you have an initial outward curve from the rail to the widest part of the
hull and then the curve goes to the keel. Mainly for aesthetics I believe.
Not seen too much on newer boats as it reduces interior space.

As for Hughes 36's, there is a fellow writing for Cruising World, "Fatty"
Goodlander, who has completed one circumnavigation in his Hughes 38 and is
now on his second. I don't think he's reported any serious problems with
his boat however I don't know if he's modified it.

Ryk

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:39:42 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Ryk wrote:
length. The fore-triangle is big (14.5x44) so the stock winches are
probably too light. A pair of Lewmar 35STs works well for me.

That should have been 46STs -- I was typing in the dark.

On another newsgroup I was describing the bulging hull shape. (pregnant
whale was the best I could do.) A couple of poster said the correct
term was 'tumblehome'. Sound familiar?

Yes, there is significant tumblehome. Some of us think the shape is
graceful ;-)

Ryk