Gary G

Default Leaseback experience

Are there any affirmed opinions about lease back of power boat
yachts in the WA area? I'm thinking 39' Carver, Ocean Alexander,
Tiara, etc. of ten years of age or less. Twin Diesels. Full
electronics.

Basically, is this a losing experince/investment? Considering that we
might use the boat two times per year, the rest of the year is on
charter.

Newbies seek to know.

tnx,

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com
Evan Gatehouse

Gary G wrote:
Are there any affirmed opinions about lease back of power boat
yachts in the WA area? I'm thinking 39' Carver, Ocean Alexander,
Tiara, etc. of ten years of age or less. Twin Diesels. Full
electronics.

Basically, is this a losing experince/investment? Considering that we
might use the boat two times per year, the rest of the year is on
charter.

Newbies seek to know.

tnx,

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

Generally I have always thought if it was such a great deal
that the charter company would invest its own money in it.

Say you needed to rent a car for a few weeks a year. You
make a deal with a taxi company where you buy the car, they
use it as a cab most of the year for five years, and when
the term of the agreement is over, they give you a 5 year
old cab. Wanna go for that deal....?

5 year old charter boats are generally candidates for new
engines, windlasses, stoves, due to general use & abuse etc.
etc. Also in the WA area, the charter season is short so
your income might be pretty low.

Evan Gatehouse
Gary G

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:37:52 -0700, Evan Gatehouse
wrote:

Generally I have always thought if it was such a great deal
that the charter company would invest its own money in it.

Say you needed to rent a car for a few weeks a year. You
make a deal with a taxi company where you buy the car, they
use it as a cab most of the year for five years, and when
the term of the agreement is over, they give you a 5 year
old cab. Wanna go for that deal....?

5 year old charter boats are generally candidates for new
engines, windlasses, stoves, due to general use & abuse etc.
etc. Also in the WA area, the charter season is short so
your income might be pretty low.

Evan Gatehouse

thanks for the reply.

I see what you are saying. I'm not sure that the context is
the same between a boat and a car. I dunno.

If we were going to own a boat, at this point in time, we
would not use it regularly. Ship Harbor Yachts in Anacortes
seems to do a fine job of maintaining the inventory that they
have. their oldest is about 1988 and the newest is 2004. I really
did not see much difference between these...albeit different makes
and sizes.

I'm looking at Tiara, Ocean Alexander or an old 40' Tolly.

Where are the hidden gotchas?

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746