Jeff

Default Swinging too much at anchor

Charles T. Low wrote:
I'm a little late getting to this.

never too late for an anchoring discussion

I also disagree with using two anchors. That will reduce swing considerably,
but can leave you (so I am told) with quite a mess when you wake up and find
yourself facing the other way.

I think this problem is a bit over stated. I've double anchored a
number of times and never had a serious problem. And I rig a bridle
on my cat, so I have 4 lines from the bows to get dangled. A few
times its taken 10 minutes or so to unravel, but its never been more
serious than that.

Two things help in my situation. First, I always clear it out as soon
as possible. Obviously, if you let it go for a dozen tide or wind
shifts, you could have a mess, but one twist isn't a problem. Also,
my secondary anchor is light, a Fortress FX23, which is about 14
pounds, with maybe 20 feet of chain. This is easy to "man-handle" to
unwind it.

Read Hinz's book, The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring. It covers all
these points and much more in considerable detail.

====

Charles T. Low
www.boatdocking.com

====

"richard" wrote in message
ups.com...

a couple of years ago I asked for suggestions to improve my anchoring
skills and this group came though. I now anchhor much more and with
much more confidence. but I have a question. When I am at anchor with
my 25 foot power boat (four winns) with not a deep Vee, I tend to swing
at anchor more than anyone else around me. This weekend for example, I
was anchored in Cuttyhunk and as some of you may know, there is not a
lot of room. I thought about a second anchor in the stern but decided
(thankfully) not as the wind did change 180 degrees in the night and I
would have been the only one not moving. Does anyone have any
suggestions how to keep a boat like mine from swinging to much? Someone
suggested a bucket on a roap behind the boat( a sea anchor, I
believe)Any other thoughts
again thanks as always.
By the way, we left Boston on Thursday after work and spent the night
in Scituate, on Friday we went though the Cape Cod Canal and Buzzards
bay, lunched in New Bedford and spent the night in Cuttyhunk. Saturday,
we went to Vineyard sound, Woods Hole, Red Brook Harbor and Pocaset,
spend the night in Onset (where I worked as a drummer in a blues
band)Sunday we went back though the Canal and stayed in Duxbury. Monday
we got up early to go home to Boston only to find that the weather was
too rough for us. We headed back to Plymouth, thinking that if we get
straned there, there is busses and trains to Boston. went to an
internet cafe and check out several weather sites and decided to
continue home late evening when the wather was better. It was a
bueatiful ride home. thank godness for electronics and back ups and
general smarts and good luck. we made it home very safely.

Dennis Pogson

Capt. JG wrote:
"Charles T. Low" [withoutUN] wrote in
message
wsgroups.com...
I'm a little late getting to this.

A side-issue is that of anchoring etiquette. Although not always
practised properly, many boaters do adhere to the policy of first in
getting priority. So, if you anchor somehow, with lots of swing or
little, or with a stern anchor or not, then boats arriving after you
have to give you room. But you have to accommodate boats which were
there before you.

Now - I went and had a friendly talk once with a guy who was there
ahead of me but not anchored according to that little bay's
"convention" (Central Grenadier, Thousand Islands, bow and stern
anchors in close to the beach, single anchors out in deeper water),
so making it difficult for the rest of us, and he was reasonable, so
there's no harm in trying to work things out.

I disagree, BTW, with anchoring by the stern. This will probably
reduce swing, but is only good in a boat such as yours for very calm
conditions. Waves slapping against a big flat transom are not nice.
A displacement hull will handle this much better.

I also disagree with using two anchors. That will reduce swing
considerably, but can leave you (so I am told) with quite a mess
when you wake up and find yourself facing the other way.

Read Hinz's book, The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring. It
covers all these points and much more in considerable detail.

====

Charles T. Low
www.boatdocking.com

Many years ago, I watched a guy down in the BVI anchor his Mooring
405 by the stern. He ended up with the mooring line caught between
the rudder and the keel. He was obviously having a problem, so my
friend and I dinghied over to help. His explanation was that he
wanted to watch the sunset (whatever). Clearly, this guy didn't have
a clue. It took us about 1/2 hour to free it up. The upside was that
he gave us about five bottles of liquor for our help, and his
girlfriend was damn cute. Turned out he was a power boater who
thought sailing would be cool... never raised the sails during the
entire week apparently.

My granny told me the sun never set on the British Empire. *vbg*

Garland Gray II

Jeff,
On my old cat I used the Bahamian moor frequently.
Since neither anchor was all chain, I was able to use a knot described maybe
10 yr ago in Multihull Mag. This tied the two rodes together, and then the 2
tails were the legs of the bridle.
Worked well. If interested, I can try to describe it.
Primary on my present cat is all chain, so I have to do it differently now.

Fortress Anchors Real Name General 23 September 3rd 05 04:17 PM
land anchor vs fluke anchor for anchors set directly on beach Laura Cruising 5 June 3rd 04 01:20 PM
Anchor rollers John Kenison General 5 February 23rd 04 08:38 PM