BoatBanter.com

-   -   Detriot Diesel 6v92's start popping at 1900 rpm (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/47815-detriot-diesel-6v92s-start-popping-1900-rpm.html)

[email protected] August 31st 05 02:52 AM

Detriot Diesel 6v92's start popping at 1900 rpm

I have a set of 6v92's in my sea ray 540 sundancer the port engine
starts popping at around 1900 r.p.m.'s anybody had any experience with
these engines that might know what could casue this problem? Thanks

Jason Armstrong

Tim August 31st 05 04:35 AM

Only things I can think of, would be a proken or wekened valve spring,
a cam shaft missing a lobe, or a bad injector.

for a detroit you need a qualified mechanic. they're not hard to work
on, just kind of googly seeing they're 2 cycle and don't have an
injector pump. If a person pulled off the valve covers. you can tell a
lot of things.

Tim

Gary G September 28th 05 07:43 AM

On 30 Aug 2005 18:52:08 -0700, wrote:

I have a set of 6v92's in my sea ray 540 sundancer the port engine
starts popping at around 1900 r.p.m.'s anybody had any experience with
these engines that might know what could casue this problem? Thanks

Jason Armstrong

I'm informed that the Detroits are better than the Cummins. Mostly
based on cost of replacement parts. What is your experience in this
context?

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916.791.8191
gary@microtechnics dot com

[email protected] September 28th 05 10:30 PM

I love my detriots.. I actually have decided to see my 1998 540 sea ray
sundancer if anyone is interested i'm willing to sell it at wholesale