Default GRIB/Sailmail/FaxViewer

OK,

Way new to this. Got a call from the Pacific Ocean today. Friend is
located at 36N 144W. On the SSB he hears about GRIB files. So, I find
them at Globalmarineweather.net and download a few to see if I can help
him.

In short order, I find I either have to buy a bunch of software, or
install Sailmail & Viewfax.

I did.

Now, ViewFax doesn't recognize the GRIB files as a valid format.

When I check the properties of the emailed GRIB files, I see a "BZ2"
extension.

So, I go to the DOS prompt (yeah I know, real archaic) and rename all
of the *.grb.bz2 files to *.grb.

Now FaxView sees the file, but when I open it, all I get is a chart of
the whole world with NO weather info on it. Doesn't matter which file I
open (ie 36N144W.24hr.grb, CentralNPacific.wind.24hr.grb) etc. They all
seem the same.

What's wrong with me?

Thanks!

Paul

"GRIP" should read "GRIB". I thought spell-checking was off. I hope it is
now...
-Paul

"Paul" wrote in message
By the way, the world chart you see is built into Viewfax. Viewfax is
incorrectly interpreting the file you renamed and trying to display it on
top of its internal chart. As others have mentioned, you can get the
grips from saildocs.com in the appropriate format. send an email to
(topic, body ignored) for the formatting details. The
newer versions of Sailmail have built-in query-formatting capabilities.

Many other charting programs have native grip-viewing capabilities, also,
but viewfax is pretty simple and good.

-Paul

Tom Shilson

There is a free GRIB viewer named GrADS which I have downloaded and just
started to play with. Does anyone have experience with it?

The June, 2005 issue of Sailing World magazine has an article by Peter
Isler on GRIBs and weather. It gives several resources including
saildocs.com.

tom
of the Swee****er Sea
St. Paul, MN

Update,

First, thanks for the quick replies.

Since I'm here on dry land, I get the GRIB files on my regular internet
connection. They are named "Pacific.wind.24hr.grb.bz2". That tells me
they are compressed. I'll get the decompressor and see what happens.

My friend is rather technologically challenged in the computing area.
His SSB is probably 15 years old or so and he doesn't own a computer
anywhere.

Where does one find GrADS? I'd ike to give it a shot.

Thanks!

Jon Gauthier

Glad that you finally figured out that a file with a .bz2 extension is
compressed. WindowsXP can recognize .zip files, but .bz2 (bzip2)
orginated in the Unix world and is supported in all Linux distributions.

WinZip (nagware) supports it, but you can go with an Open Source version
like gzip from the GNU (http://www.gzip.org/#exe) or bzip2
(http://www.bzip.org/downloads.html). Though both were developed for the
Unix world, they've been ported to Windows.