BoatBanter.com

-   -   Buying a Sailboat on EBAY...Opinions (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/46827-buying-sailboat-ebay-opinions.html)

Mic July 31st 05 04:56 PM

Buying a Sailboat on EBAY...Opinions

Has anyone bought a sailboat on EBAY or know of someone who has?

Any opinions on the prices sought and got selling sailboats on EBAY?

Would you buy a sailboat on EBAY? If not, why?

Is EBAY a good place to sell a boat, if yes, why. If no, why?

kth August 2nd 05 02:32 AM

I've sold a powerboat on EBAY before. I was surprised how easy it was.
I listed the boat locally for a few weeks and then tried EBAY (it sold
pretty quick). I would say just be careful...inspect the boat before
bidding and get it surveyed 1st if you're serious. I am a surveyor and
have inspected boats listed on EBAY; some match the seller's
description, but many do not (or hidden damages are found).

I was surprised at those who bid on my boat, only one person came out
to see it and the ultimate buyer never saw the boat until the day he
picked it up!!! In my particular case, I was proud of what I listed
for sale and confident it represented the condition I claimed it was
in. Some sellers could misrepresent (either knowlingly or not) which
could leave the buyer in a bad situation...good luck-

~^ beancounter ~^ August 2nd 05 02:49 AM

i have bought and sold a few boats on ebay, it is easy...i
sugg you plan on just using ebay to find a "motivated seller"...
then, go and spend some time at the boat, get a survey,
take it out, etc...

Gogarty August 2nd 05 05:30 PM

In article ,
says...

Has anyone bought a sailboat on EBAY or know of someone who has?

Any opinions on the prices sought and got selling sailboats on EBAY?

Would you buy a sailboat on EBAY? If not, why?

Is EBAY a good place to sell a boat, if yes, why. If no, why?

A friend of ours bought a Morgan 30 on eBay for $2,300. He had to put
some work into it but he is way ahead.

~^ beancounter ~^ August 7th 05 03:03 AM

i just bid $5k on a 1986 ericson 38 (thrashed from what l@@ks like
the hurricane).....anyone on the west coast want to split it w/me
if i win?? $5k purchase, $20k materials, a few hundred "sweat
equity" hours...and one has a nice sailboat...richard / colorado

~^ beancounter ~^ August 9th 05 12:02 AM

for anyone l@@kin for a project that could
yield a) good sailing b) $ profit (if ya got the time)
the below notes refer to a 1986 ericson 38 on
e bay right now...no reserve..$5k.....

------------------------ebay snip---------------------
This boat was swamped and sank in Hurricane Marilyn in 1995. She has
been in storage in Villa Marina, in Farjado on the back lot since then.
Termites ate a lot of the non-teak wood below. About 50% of the
cabinetry has been rebuilt and the original teak doors and drawers are
ok. She needs some one who is willing to spending real time rebuilding
the rest of the woodwork and putting in new electrical and plumbing.
The rigging needs to be installed and there may be some parts to be
purchased. Depending on the amount of expertise you have in boat
restoration it should take about $5,000 to $10,000 worth of additional
parts. The topsides deck is in almost new condition. the motor is
probably not worth rebuilding but for $300 a Perkins 4-108 50 hp/ with
transmission can be had. The boat has a valid Virgin Islands
registration. The boat is sitting on a free mooring and my suggestion
would be to buy a Honda 2000 generator, bring down your wood working
tools and rebuild it here in Paradise. The seller has started the
process of rebuilding but has taken on other projects and just wants
out of the deal. Please do not email for additional information. For
additional information call Gady or you can call me Loren Fletcher at
340-998-2318

Jere Lull August 9th 05 06:54 AM

In article .com,
"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote:

[...]

Oh Wow! Sounds like the boat my surveyor offered to give me for free.
After admiring the beautiful lines and obvious pedigree, I looked a
little closer and said, "I'm not sure it's worth that much." I passed.

I suspect $10k may be required just to get it to float, never mind the
rotted cores and interior that obviously needs to be completely rebuilt
from the keel up.

--
Jere Lull

DSK August 9th 05 11:47 AM

------------------------ebay snip---------------------
This boat was swamped and sank in Hurricane Marilyn in 1995....
..... The seller has started the
process of rebuilding but has taken on other projects and just wants
out of the deal.

Now, that's a really stellar recommendation.

Jere Lull wrote:
Oh Wow! Sounds like the boat my surveyor offered to give me for free.
After admiring the beautiful lines and obvious pedigree, I looked a
little closer and said, "I'm not sure it's worth that much." I passed.

I suspect $10k may be required just to get it to float, never mind the
rotted cores and interior that obviously needs to be completely rebuilt
from the keel up.

Replacing all the wiring & electrical equip't would cost more than $10K,
the plumbing probably close to that. This boat (and many many more that
were damaged in hurricanes) is landfill fodder. After sinking, then
sitting for ten years on the back lot, I doubt there's anything left
worth salvaging.

Last fall, a cruising group that my wife & I belong to had a dinner talk
by a marine insurance underwriter who is also a former surveyor... great
stuff. He talked about differences in policies, what some of the
technical terms of coverage really mean, and most entertaining, a long
series of hurricane damage pictures.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

~^ beancounter ~^ August 10th 05 07:29 PM

i heard that.....i bet the presentation from the ins agent was very
interesting....

the ebay E38 biddin' is now almost up to $6k, one day left...Puttin a
"pencil to paper", i guess (the hull) it would be worth up to $10k...If
one
added a "reserve" account w/ $50k avail for parts and equipment...Plus
a few hundred man/women hours...grin.....

A "finished" e38, 1986, even w/a "clouded title" (ie: ttled "in
storm/sank/re built") ... Would fetch, i woulkd guess $75k

someone is going to have a nice, big project on their hands...but,
when you watch a e38 under way, say under the gldn gate bridge..w/full
sails.....its a thing of beauty.....

i am done now....back to work....

DSK August 10th 05 10:40 PM

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
the ebay E38 biddin' is now almost up to $6k, one day left...Puttin a
"pencil to paper", i guess (the hull) it would be worth up to $10k.

How ya figure that? Somebody might pay that much, guess that makes it
"worth" that.

...If one
added a "reserve" account w/ $50k avail for parts and equipment...Plus
a few hundred man/women hours...grin.....

If you had the time, the skill, and the money, why not buy a boat that's
in better shape? Spend your time sailing and don't take the gamble
that there's something left out of your figuring up costs... actually
it's not a gamble, there is *always* something!

A "finished" e38, 1986, even w/a "clouded title" (ie: ttled "in
storm/sank/re built") ... Would fetch, i woulkd guess $75k

Again, how do you figure that? Not meaning to be insulting, look at
Yachtworld.com... asking prices in the $65K range, much lower for just a
few years older. Between the boat's history and the 'cloudy title' you
might be lucky to sell in the $50K range assuming it was a magnificent
restoration. The fact is that the boat market is a big time buyers
market right now, and probably will be for the forseeable future.

A good friend of ours bought a boat from an insurance company, on a 'too
good to be true' deal... it was. It was almost free, and took relatively
little restoration (mostly rebuilding the cabin). By now it's been for
sale almost six months, and it looks like he's going to have to accept
less than half his original asking price, if he gets an offer that good.

The trick is to learn from the mistakes of others. You'll never live
long enough to make them all yourself ;)

someone is going to have a nice, big project on their hands...but,
when you watch a e38 under way, say under the gldn gate bridge..w/full
sails.....its a thing of beauty.....

Yep... although I like the older E39 flush deck better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/itemZ...cmdZViewIte m

Fresh Breezes- Doug King