Denis Marier

Default Selling my boat w/engine or not?

Last year I spent 3k in having the 1GM Yanmar rebuild on my 27 Mirage 1982
This summer on the day of my birthday the crankshaft broke at 2200 RPM.
Now I am face with either replacing it with a new engine or sell the boat as
is.
In Canada the value of my boat is between 20 to 26K with a running inboard
engine.
A new diesel can cost me anywhere from 6600.00CAD to 7800.00 adding the 15%
HST plus labor cost for installing.
By the time I am finish installing a new engine I am afraid that I will top
up $10000.00 CAD.
I was already on the market looking for another larger boat. Then the
question is will I recuperate my money when selling my present boat. Any
comments and suggestion from other sailors will be appreciated.

Bowgus

My opinion ... start by listing as is at say $16K ... a buyer may come along
with expertise and/or access to a used engine. My opinion ... no point
putting $10K into anything ... especially an '82 boat ... with only the hope
of getting it back.

"Denis Marier" wrote in message

[...]

Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:05:44 GMT, "Denis Marier"
wrote:

Last year I spent 3k in having the 1GM Yanmar rebuild on my 27 Mirage 1982
This summer on the day of my birthday the crankshaft broke at 2200 RPM.
Now I am face with either replacing it with a new engine or sell the boat as
is.
In Canada the value of my boat is between 20 to 26K with a running inboard
engine.
A new diesel can cost me anywhere from 6600.00CAD to 7800.00 adding the 15%
HST plus labor cost for installing.
By the time I am finish installing a new engine I am afraid that I will top
up $10000.00 CAD.
I was already on the market looking for another larger boat. Then the
question is will I recuperate my money when selling my present boat. Any
comments and suggestion from other sailors will be appreciated.

Hmmm... if the boat with an honestly advertized broken engine would
make more than about $14 grand, you would be wise to go this route.

You could try selling with a limit set at this level?

Brian W

Larry

"Denis Marier" wrote in
:

Last year I spent 3k in having the 1GM Yanmar rebuild on my 27 Mirage
1982 This summer on the day of my birthday the crankshaft broke at
2200 RPM.

I know you just want rid of it, but what did the diesel shop that took your
money say about it? Crankshafts break because piston rods break, or
something, like seawater which doesn't compress much, stops the piston from
going over the top. An 8HP diesel breaking its crankshaft on its own seems
a bit crazy to me. Hell, it doesn't have another cylinder firing to do the
breaking! That engine or installation must have been screwed up by the
engine shop....and THEY NEED TO FIX OR REPLACE IT!

--
Larry