SailBlogs

Default sailing blogs

Announcing a blog system for anyone interested in crusing, racing and
all things sailing-related. It's called SailBlogs and is at
http://www.sailblogs.com.

There are currently over 150 members creating sailing-related blogs,
with more joining every day. many are world cruisers, circumnavigators
or racers.

If you've considered starting a blog, or looking for a blog host that
is more in tune with sailing, than we'd like to invite you over for a
look. The blogs are free and getting started is very easy.

Advanced features include posting via email/sailmail/satphone, map
tracking, photo galleries, RSS feeds and more.

SailBlogs is an outgrowth of the X-Journal system that is used by
expeditions. When we became interested in sailing, we realized that
sailors and cruisers share many of the same issues as expeditions -
slow or no internet connections, remote locations, sometimes harsh
conditions - as well as an interest to share thier adventures. We took
some of the best features of XJournal and made SailBlogs.

Thanks a lot, and we hope you enjoy SailBlogs!

http://www.sailblogs.com

Larry

SailBlogs info a sailblogs dt com wrote in
. net:

Thanks a lot, and we hope you enjoy SailBlogs!

http://www.sailblogs.com

Any spyware, adware, crapware or spam to go with that?....(c;

Yeah, right.....

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email:
Read about them he
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...3&view=printer
SailBlogs

On 2005-07-10 16:04:34 -0500, Larry said:

SailBlogs info a sailblogs dt com wrote in
. net:

Thanks a lot, and we hope you enjoy SailBlogs!

http://www.sailblogs.com

Any spyware, adware, crapware or spam to go with that?....(c;

Yeah, right.....

No. Seriously. Not even pop-up ads. If you sign up for a free blog, it
has ads on the side. If you upgrade, there are no ads. I run a pretty
tight ship (ok, bad pun) and I don't like that crap any more than the
next person.

They system, which is based on software I developed for expeditions
called XJournal, is pretty ideal for long-range boats as well. It was
most recently used by a team attempting to cross the arctic in the
summer (One World Expedition).

I am a sailor myself and planning on cruising (someday). I tried to
develope the system with the features I would want if I were cruising.

Have a look - there are some cool stories being told...

Cheers,

- tim, sailblogs sysadmin

Larry

SailBlogs info a sailblogs dt com wrote in
. net:

- tim, sailblogs sysadmin

I'm still confused. What does the blog do that this newsgroup doesn't do,
other than the obvious content control you exercise over its posts? Anyone
posting here, uncensored as it is, gets worldwide coverage and forever
Google storage of every article.

I can see a blog if the blogger is some kind of news source. I read
several. But blogs like this look more like browser-based, censored
forums. Why not just post here?

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email:
Read about them he
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...3&view=printer
SailBlogs

On 2005-07-10 19:37:56 -0500, Larry said:

SailBlogs info a sailblogs dt com wrote in
. net:

- tim, sailblogs sysadmin

I'm still confused. What does the blog do that this newsgroup doesn't
do, other than the obvious content control you exercise over its posts?
Anyone posting here, uncensored as it is, gets worldwide coverage and
forever Google storage of every article.
I can see a blog if the blogger is some kind of news source. I read
several. But blogs like this look more like browser-based, censored
forums. Why not just post here?

It's not exactly apples for apples. Yes, in both cases you're posting a
note to the world for all to read, but with a blog you're sort of in
control of the whole space. It's a personal web page, really. It allows
you to orgainze and present your view of the world, and in the case of
sailblogs thats generally from the helm of a sailboat.

You can have your collection of photos, links, along with, and choose a
color scheme that suits you. The audience is not necessarily the whole
world, or all people that read the newsgroups. You can choose only to
give the URL to people whome you wish to keep informed of your
progress. You can even go so far as to lock your journal from visitors
with a password. You can choose to accept comments from visitors or
not, something you'd not be able to do here.

I also have people setting up blogs to put in information from cruising
that happened two or three years ago. They've taken time to organize
their notes and photos and putting it together with the blog system
makes for a nice package to tell/share their story. So while you can
get old posts from google, its not quite as simple to find all the
stories by one particular person as it would be just to read their
journal.

A good example is this: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/symphony/

No, it's not me and I don't make extra money by driving traffic to it.
It's an example of a good journal documenting a Great Lakes cruise from
duluth to the carribbean.

--
tim

Jere Lull

In article , Larry
wrote:

I'm still confused. What does the blog do that this newsgroup doesn't do,
other than the obvious content control you exercise over its posts?

It's quite different, being primarily one author's ideas and others'
comments. Sometimes, the comments are suppressed and go only to the
author.

In many respects, it can be a multi-media journal that doesn't require
the author to hand-code web pages. It's pretty cookie-cutter, but that's
sufficient for this sort of thing.

Though I don't know about Sailblogs, often a blog can be updated from a
simple desktop executable, so July 10th's remarks can retain that date &
time until the author can actually upload the individual entries.

--
Jere Lull
SailBlogs

On 2005-07-11 00:05:07 -0500, Jere Lull said:

In article , Larry wrote:

I'm still confused. What does the blog do that this newsgroup doesn't
do, other than the obvious content control you exercise over its posts?

It's quite different, being primarily one author's ideas and others'
comments. Sometimes, the comments are suppressed and go only to the
author.

In many respects, it can be a multi-media journal that doesn't require
the author to hand-code web pages. It's pretty cookie-cutter, but
that's sufficient for this sort of thing.

Though I don't know about Sailblogs, often a blog can be updated from a
simple desktop executable, so July 10th's remarks can retain that date
& time until the author can actually upload the individual entries.

This is a pretty good description. With SB, you can control the dates
of every entry which allows you to build a journal of something that
happened in the past, or post-date messages, too. You as a blog owner
can decide to allow visitors to comment on your posts.

I've been working on a desktop app to go along with it. For the other
system, XJournal, I created a widget that works with a program called
Konfabulator on Mac and Windows. I'm also looking at making a widget
for OSX Tiger.

As for those who choose to use the blog system, the basic seneario
could be something like this:

- They have made the choice to go cruising and are leaving their "regular" life
- They want to stay connected to their family and friends
- They want a single place to post their experiences, show a map of
where they've been, and display photos from their trip
- They want to keep a record of their travels for their own satisfaction
- and thay want to share their adventure with anyone else who cares

If one were to post a daily travel journal here, for example, some
might be interested in what you're doing, some might think you're an
idiot and some might wish you'd stop. You're kind of forcing the
journal on an audience. With a blog, those that are interested can come
to your space to read the journal, which those that are not interested
can ignore it.

--
tim

Jere Lull

In article ,
SailBlogs tim @ sailblogs dt com wrote:

If one were to post a daily travel journal here, for example, some
might be interested in what you're doing, some might think you're an
idiot and some might wish you'd stop.

Perhaps daily updates might be a bit much, but I thoroughly enjoy
reading synopses of others' trip logs here.

I regularly note the more detailed trip logs that are pointed to from
posts here. Am currently sorta enjoying the voyage of Bumfuzzled, in a
train-wreck kind of way.

Having a ready source of blogs of this sort at sailblogs.com is a good
idea. Are there other sites for this sort of thing?

--
Jere Lull
Geoff Schultz

Jere Lull wrote in news:jerelull-7101F1.19240811072005
@news.verizon.net:

Having a ready source of blogs of this sort at sailblogs.com is a good
idea. Are there other sites for this sort of thing?

There's www.7knots.com

-- Geoff