Mic

Default WHICH ANCHOR IS BEST

LINK:

http://www.bajaseafaris.com/anchor.html

" One of my favorite subjects is anchors and anchoring. I've
owned, used or seen just about all of them in action. Some of you
might say, if you haven't used brand X type of anchor, how can you
judge it? Well, I also don't have to touch a flame on a stove top to
know I'll get burned! I watched someone else do it. Likewise, I've
seen a lot of anchors that really do the job, and some that would make
great decorations in a garden."

There is nothing like the discussion of achors. And I am not trying
to created one now. But the above link regarding such is above
average and relative to practical experience.

Wow, another quasi-religious discussion to get into on a seriously
arcane topic. OK, I love my Delta and anybody who puts a CQR on their
bow is just posing as a serious cruiser.

I do not yet see the usual rant and rave of the rbc, so I'll head it up---
I use a [brand A, model 1] and it is perfect for every boat in every
condition imaginable to mankind.

Anyone who uses or proposes or suggests anything else is a nincompoop
landlubber.

Why can't we all just get along?

http://www.bajaseafaris.com/anchor.html

" One of my favorite subjects is anchors and anchoring. I've
owned, used or seen just about all of them in action. Some of you
might say, if you haven't used brand X type of anchor, how can you
judge it? Well, I also don't have to touch a flame on a stove top to
know I'll get burned! I watched someone else do it. Likewise, I've
seen a lot of anchors that really do the job, and...........

Cuz that wouldnt be fun

Larry

J wrote in
:

Why can't we all just get along?

Usenet isn't any fun unless each thread evolves into a knock-down, drag-out
flamewar like the kids have in the sandbox at the park....

The same people will hold their thoughts, on the dock, in punching
range....(c;

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email:
Read about them he
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...3&view=printer

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 19:00:00 GMT, J wrote
(with possible editing):

I do not yet see the usual rant and rave of the rbc, so I'll head it up---
I use a [brand A, model 1] and it is perfect for every boat in every
condition imaginable to mankind.

Anyone who uses or proposes or suggests anything else is a nincompoop
landlubber.

Why can't we all just get along?

Yeah? Well I use Brand B, model 2 and it's even better. In fact,
it's so damn good, you don't even need a rhode. You just drop it
overboard and there it stays. Forever.

Your mother wears army boots.

Popeye the Sailor Man

http://www.bajaseafaris.com/anchor.html

" One of my favorite subjects is anchors and anchoring. I've
owned, used or seen just about all of them in action. Some of you
might say, if you haven't used brand X type of anchor, how can you
judge it? Well, I also don't have to touch a flame on a stove top to
know I'll get burned! I watched someone else do it. Likewise, I've
seen a lot of anchors that really do the job, and...........

Peter Hendra

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:17:09 GMT, Rosalie B. wrote:

wrote:

Wow, another quasi-religious discussion to get into on a seriously
arcane topic. OK, I love my Delta and anybody who puts a CQR on their
bow is just posing as a serious cruiser.

We have a CQR on the bow (came with the boat), and a Danforth on the
stern (also came with the boat) but we've never used either of them,
altho they are rigged ready for use. We love our Super Max, and
that's all we use.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html

Seriously,
I use a 60lb CQR with 90 metres of 10mm chain and have 150 metres of line if I
need it. I have a danforth as a kedge and a spare 40lb CQR. For 5 years cruising
we had the 40lb plow which was fine. The 60lb was bought to ensure a good
night's sleep. We always put out 5 to 1 in scope and power backwards to ensure
the anchor digs in, the chain being marked every 5 metres. We found the best way
to mark the chain was to thread one foot lengths of different colours of 5 or 6
mm (1/4 inch) braid in and out of the chain lengths.- better than ties and
easier to see than paint at night.

I have often wondered about the fortress. I envy its light weight but am
concerned about the holding power. I have often noticed that the CQR sometimes
does not dig in at all but lies on its side. Therefore the only thing holding us
in the spot is the weight of the anchor and the weight and caternary of the
chain. If there is any current or wind the CQR will anchor in though.

Can anyone advise why the weight of the fortress is not a factor for concern? I
would love the light weight to load in the dinghy when using it as a kedge.

Also, what is a "Supermax" ?

Thanks

Thanks

I heard you guys are gonna do it at recess! Fight!! Fight!!