Gordon

Default sheet knot

What's the best knot for attaching the sheets to the jib? Gotta be
something better than the "pesky wabbit around the tree and down the hole"
knot.
Thanks
Gordon

--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Lauri Tarkkonen

In "Gordon" writes:

What's the best knot for attaching the sheets to the jib? Gotta be
something better than the "pesky wabbit around the tree and down the hole"
knot.
Thanks
Gordon

If you can keep both sheets together then a knot known as lark head or a
cow hitch. Look: http://www.ehow.com/how_13480_make-larks-head.html

In the picture it is done around a stick, you make it in the clew
cringle.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Lew Hodgett

Gordon wrote:
What's the best knot for attaching the sheets to the jib? Gotta be
something better than the "pesky wabbit around the tree and down the hole"
knot.

I don't know the name of the knot, but I got it from Cruising World
article a long time ago and it is simple.

You need one piece of line for both sheets. If a single sheet is say 35
ft, you need a 70 ft piece of line for example.

Find the midpoint and double the line, then measure back about 18" and
seize together with some mason's twine forming a loop.

You need a piece of 3/4" line about 24" long which you feed thru the
loop on the sheet you just created, then double it back on itself and
seize the ends together with more mason's twine.

Feed the sheet loop thru the cringle, then feed the end of the seized
3/4" line thru the loop.

Pull the loop taut and you are good to go.

SFWIW, I used the above for many years, making up a separate set of
sheets for each sail. It was just simpler that way.

HTH

Lew
Brian Whatcott

On 26 Jun 2005 20:45:23 GMT, (Lauri Tarkkonen)
wrote:

In "Gordon" writes:

What's the best knot for attaching the sheets to the jib? Gotta be
something better than the "pesky wabbit around the tree and down the hole"
knot.
Thanks
Gordon

If you can keep both sheets together then a knot known as lark head or a
cow hitch. Look:
http://www.ehow.com/how_13480_make-larks-head.html

In the picture it is done around a stick, you make it in the clew
cringle.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

If it's important that the sheet not slip, you can do better than the
larkshead. Even a round turn and 2 half hitches make a more
stable attachment

Brian Whatcott Altus OK.
Capt. JG

"Gordon" wrote in message
What's the best knot for attaching the sheets to the jib? Gotta be
something better than the "pesky wabbit around the tree and down the hole"
knot.
Thanks
Gordon

--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Perhaps, but the bowline is an extremely useful knot. This is what we teach.
Perhaps there are better, but it is worth teaching. If you have to change
sails, you either need to have another long line available to tie a lark
head or you have to untie the one you have on the old sail... seems like a
lot of wasted time. I would rather just know the bowline and do it right.
Disclaimer: we use the lark on at least one of our boats.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

PyroJames

wrote:

What's the best knot for attaching the sheets to the jib? Gotta be
something better than the "pesky wabbit around the tree and down the hole"
knot.

There is, learn to tie it without using the rabbit approach.

A Buntline Hitch http://www.dirauxwest.org/knots/buntline.htm

Not if you ever want to get it undone again.
PyroJames
Would arsonists please try to control themselves for the duration of the emergency.
Gordon

"Gordon" wrote in message
What's the best knot for attaching the sheets to the jib? Gotta be
something better than the "pesky wabbit around the tree and down the hole"
knot.
Thanks
Gordon

I posted the question above a few days ago and a strange thing happened. I
got an email from a web site called TravelNewsGroup.com that said I had
gotten a reply to my question and to click a link to see the reply, which I
did. There was actually 3 replies!
When I go back to usenet, these replies still do not show up there! Whats
going on???
Somehow, it seems, this web site is hijacking usenet messages and this
****es me off. Anyone else run into this?
BTW, the usenet provider my ISP subscribes to is always having problems.
Is there another one open to all that I could set up to use?
Thanks all
And thanks for the replies to the sheet knot question
Gordon

MMC

I agree with advocates of the bowline for the following reasons: 1) it will
not come untied until you want it to, 2) when you want it to- you can untie
it, and 3) it devalues the breaking strain of the line less than other
knots. In this I mean that if a line is put under heavy strain, it will
break at the knot before it reaches it's stated breaking point because of
the bends required to form the knot will break first.
I'm a firm believer that a boater only needs 3 knots; bowline, clove hitch,
and square; along with a good idea of when to use each and the ability to do
so quickly.
MMC (Navy coxswain, Navy and commercial diver, sailor, and all around nosey
*******)

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:36:43 -0700, "Gordon" wrote:

What's the best knot for attaching the sheets to the jib? Gotta be
something better than the "pesky wabbit around the tree and down the hole"
knot.

Are you really having trouble making a bowline? Sure, you can use other
knots to tie sheets to the jib. But they're going to be just as "pesky"
and if you're a sailor, you should know how to make a bowline quickly
anyway.

Steve

Rich Hampel

Definitely a Buntline .... unlike a bowline it wont shake loose. If
tied properly it will be small/compact and will be much smaller than a
bowline. Yes yu will have to probably cut it off to remove it; buy a
few feet of extra line.
In that same vein, the best is to eyhe-splice the line directly to the
clew or alternatively use a single length and use a
'stangler/constrictor' hitch or a simple clove hitch in the middle.

wrote:

What's the best knot for attaching the sheets to the jib? Gotta be
something better than the "pesky wabbit around the tree and down the hole"
knot.
Thanks
Gordon

FS: 1983 "Americas Cup" Litho Sheet in Ontario Canada J.R. Sinclair General 0 May 23rd 05 11:33 AM
Knots on the Web Mic Cruising 4 May 18th 05 03:08 AM
FS: 1983 "Americas Cup" Litho Sheet J.R. Sinclair ASA 1 April 23rd 04 12:20 PM
What's wrong with a Stopper Knot?? Steve Cruising 78 April 20th 04 03:48 AM