BoatBanter.com

-   -   Float switch alert. (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/45253-float-switch-alert.html)

Roger Long June 23rd 05 06:03 PM

Float switch alert.

I've just discovered that the West Marine rolling ball float switches
and the Rule 27D 1100 GPM (And possibly similar models) are not a good
combination. If mounted on a common base, the Rule does not draw the
water down far enough to reliably turn the switch off. It's a near
thing though. I have a dual set up. One works and the other doesn't.
A little motion from wake or sea seems to trip the switch off but you
can't always count on that.

I'm going to put a couple thick nylon washers under the float switches
which I am pretty sure will take care of the problem.

I've noticed that the rolling ball switches seem to need either a
little jerk or nudge or be at maximum travel before switching on or
off. Mercury certainly does work better but I hate to buy the stuff.

--

Roger Long

Larry W4CSC June 24th 05 04:05 AM

"Roger Long" wrote in
:

Mercury certainly does work better but I hate to buy the stuff.

Stop by and I'll give you a jar. You'll have to help me pick up the one in
my storage shed. It must weigh 200 lbs. Mercury is heavy!

--
Larry

You know you've had a rough night when you wake up and you're outlined in
chalk.