Gordon

Default Led Light Fixtures

I want to replace all my old fixtures with new led types. 6 spots and 3
puck style ceilings. Where to purchase at a decent price?

Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

DSK

Gordon wrote:
I want to replace all my old fixtures with new led types. 6 spots and 3
puck style ceilings. Where to purchase at a decent price?

Define "decent" price. We just replaced our cabin dome lights with
halogen bulb models, which are brighter and consume slightly less
electricity. They were about $20 each which is much cheaper than any LED
version I've found.

Defender usually has pretty good prices on stuff they carry, once you
find a particular light you want, hunt around for all the suppliers and
see who discounts it the most.
http://www.defender.com/

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

*JimH*

"Gordon" wrote in message
I want to replace all my old fixtures with new led types. 6 spots and 3
puck style ceilings. Where to purchase at a decent price?

Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

I would try a hardware store first, such as Lowe's or Home Depot.

If you want to go the marine store route (most likely more expensive) try
www.boatfix.com.

boatgeek

http://www.theledlight.com/dcbulbs.html

The bulbs are very bright. The MR16 is much brighter than the 10 watt
halogen it replaced (probably the equivalent of a 15 Watt Halogen and
consumes 1/12th the energy).

Cost around $32. More expensive, but 30,000 hour.

DSK

boatgeek wrote:
http://www.theledlight.com/dcbulbs.html

The bulbs are very bright. The MR16 is much brighter than the 10 watt
halogen it replaced (probably the equivalent of a 15 Watt Halogen and
consumes 1/12th the energy).

Cost around $32. More expensive, but 30,000 hour.

Thanks for the link. Those look pretty cool. I wish I'd seen them before
we bought the halogen dome lights.

DSK

Larry W4CSC

"Gordon" wrote in
:

I want to replace all my old fixtures with new led types. 6 spots and 3
puck style ceilings. Where to purchase at a decent price?

Gordon

You don't have to replace them. Let's skip the markupmen and get them
straight from the source:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Superbright has some really cool LED bulbs, strip lights and other fixtures
the RV and boat shops just don't have. Look around and pick some for
yourself.

I think two LED light strips would be great fore/aft along a cabin
overhead. One white for normal lighting. The other RED for night vision
protection at sea. You can even put a DC controller in series with them to
use as a dimmer....

rhys

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 20:51:23 -0400, Larry W4CSC
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote in
:

I want to replace all my old fixtures with new led types. 6 spots and 3
puck style ceilings. Where to purchase at a decent price?

Gordon

You don't have to replace them. Let's skip the markupmen and get them
straight from the source:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Superbright has some really cool LED bulbs, strip lights and other fixtures
the RV and boat shops just don't have. Look around and pick some for
yourself.

Holland Marine here in Toronto sells something very like this for
$13,99 Cdn. each (the dual contact bayonet mounts found in a lot of
old boats). At that price, and considering the exchange, they are
cheaper for me retail than online...G

They are visible even in full daylight and went straight into the
V-berth which is where we have the most light usage for reading in the
evenings.

You have to like the bluish white light and the fact that LED "bulbs"
are not "area lights" but "spots". Luckily, I do...I use a "caving
headband" with three LEDs to read in bed at home without disturbing
the wife.

Aside from the low draw, the main advantage to me is that I can keep
the old 20 gauge wire strands throughout the boat without tearing it
out due to line loss or overheat worries. That saves a lot of hours.

I am keeping a big old 12 V incadescent for the overhead cabin light
and the nav and galley lights, but I may switch every other light to
LED, including some currently unlit areas in lockers and whatnot,
because it's cheap to wire and the draw is tiny.

I figure in two years or less there will be cheap(er), dependable and
sufficiently bright LED nav lights for mastheads and elsewhere. The
current prices are way too high. This means no more 12 gauge to the
masthead, and a far better shot at conduiting the rattling wires.

R.
Larry W4CSC

rhys wrote in
:

read in bed at home without disturbing
the wife.

I used to be married. I remember that.....(c;

It's almost like living alone, except you can turn the bathroom light on
full brightness without hearing all that bitching at 4AM....after she's
gone.

Peter

Try these addresses http://www.spectrumled.com/ and
http://www.superbrightleds.com/ I have dealt with both these companies
and can recommend each. Especially interesting is the 12VDC 1156/T10
PCB LED Lamp offered by Superbright. You can remove the bayonet base
from this lamp and wire it direct (observing polarity).

Peter

Gordon wrote:
I want to replace all my old fixtures with new led types. 6 spots and 3
puck style ceilings. Where to purchase at a decent price?

Gordon
--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb? padeen General 8 November 16th 03 03:06 PM
Red over green mast light for sailboat Lee Huddleston Boat Building 4 September 15th 03 04:57 PM
Lightbulb? Here? Clams Canino General 4 August 7th 03 02:22 AM
Light air tips - older J24 Tim Gale General 0 July 8th 03 01:08 AM