Default Havana: No Water Birds

No one I have read re Cuba has noted the complete absence of any and
all water birds in Havana harbor. I was there on a visit on my boat in
2000 and at the end of the first day, while walking along the harbor's
edge, I noiced there were no pelicans, sea gulls or any other water
bird. Were they all poisoned or eaten?

Jim Carter

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Probably eaten. A friend of mine is married to a Cuban woman, quite a

fox,
actually. She says there is mass hunger, always, in the
country...especially now that the Soviet Union isn't pouring money into

the
Commie pot.

Did you notice the mass unemployment or government slavery?

I was in Cuba last Feb., for my two weeks of winter holidays. There is no
"mass hunger" in Cuba. Tourism is now the number one source of income for
the Island. There also is no mass unemployment or "government slavery".
Everyone that I met was quite happy and content. There are lots of various
types of birds near the Havana Harbour.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield

To Jim Carter:

From what I saw in Cuba, you spent too much time in resort(s). Yes,

there is widespread unemployment -- in the cities and especially
countryside. See the tiny unpainted wooden huts, without running water
or electricity in rural areas? Too, you seem to suffer from "sahib
sickness," a condition that afflicted the Brits in India, whose
contacts with the indigenee (natives) was limited to their servants,
all of whom appeared to be well mannered and well fed. But that was not
the reality in India, which surprised the Brits after WW II when the
Indians revolted.

Jim Carter wrote:
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Probably eaten. A friend of mine is married to a Cuban woman, quite a

fox,
actually. She says there is mass hunger, always, in the
country...especially now that the Soviet Union isn't pouring money into

the
Commie pot.

Did you notice the mass unemployment or government slavery?

I was in Cuba last Feb., for my two weeks of winter holidays. There is no
"mass hunger" in Cuba. Tourism is now the number one source of income for
the Island. There also is no mass unemployment or "government slavery".
Everyone that I met was quite happy and content. There are lots of various
types of birds near the Havana Harbour.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield

Jim Carter

To Anchorlt:
I have traveled to Cuba every year for the last 11 years and my brother has
been in Cuba for the last 18 years. I have been all over the island and
that includes the interior. My brother lives in Pinar Del Rio. There is
no unemployment in Cuba at all. It is not allowed to be unemployed. If a
person has no job, the government will find a job for the person. A job
which best suits the person.

Yes, there are tiny wooden houses in the country side. These are the same
type of homes that are in many of the neighboring islands. The Dominican
Republic, Bahamas, Haiti, Jamaica, Puerto Rico all have these same type of
homes for the poorer people.

In Cuba there is FREE education, health care, transportation and subsidized
food programs. No one in Cuba sleeps in the streets like in some United
States cities. Literacy in Cuba is 100%. What is the literacy rate for
the USA?

I do not suffer from "Sahib sickness". You seem to suffer from a lack of
first hand knowledge of Cuba.

Jim Carter
"The Boat"
Bayfield