Thom Stewart

Default which is better for single hand cruising?

Excuse a Lurker jumping in on this one;

Single handing is a subject dear to my heart!

I sail a 29 foot Gulf. It has a 2 Cyl. diesel. A real love/hate
relationship;
The good; Fuel Internal tank. Consumption about 3/4 of a quart at 2400
RPM/ Hull speed of 6 & 3/4 Knots. Aux; Electric generation ( Enough to
power a 1200 Watt invertor for Microwave oven. A hot water heater, a Red
Dot hot water cabin heater/ using less fuel than a diesel space heater
and no "Charlie Noble" Dependable; far and away that of an outboard or
even a gasoline inboard of low horse power

The bad; a damn space HOG on a 29 foot boat. Internal tankage, water
intake for cooling, Exhaust system/ heat exchanger, muffler, fuel lines
both fill lines and motor lines, Transmission coupling, shaft, packing
gland. shaft, shaft strut and Cutlass bearing and prop in the water AND
worst of all NO damn room for to do maintenance on a boat under 30foot.
Changing oil. anti-freeze coolant, Filter replacements.

After 17 years I just had to replace a Cutlass Bearing. Had to drop
rubber to pull shaft. Had to remove engine manifold to uncouple shaft

Comment: Would I trade my 2 Cyl 18hp Universal for a outboard or even an
inboard gasoline engine? Not on your Life would I!!

Now; about the Rudder,

I have a Balanced Spade on a stainless shaft controlled by and inside
and a cockpit mounted helm. both wheels. I can't think of anything else
I would rather have. A balanced rubber beats any barn door hung off the
stern on pintles. I can lock either wheel with a simple turn of a knob.
I still have full rudder control at 30 degree heel (The joy of a Spade)
I can back without any rudder whip (Joy of a balanced spade)

These are my choices and the reasons for them. There my choices, yours
may be different and you reasons just as sound. I can't fault your
choice.

Happy Sailing

I'm back to my hole just lurking.

Ole Thom