Tony

Default Epoxy fuel tanks

Hi
Anyone know if there is a special epoxy to use for diesel fuel tanks or just
any ordinary epoxy?
Im in the UK btw
Tony UK

Lew Hodgett

Tony wrote:
Hi
Anyone know if there is a special epoxy to use for diesel fuel tanks or just
any ordinary epoxy?
Im in the UK btw
Tony UK

The epoxy used to coat the inside of tanks is a solvent based, two part
product commonly known as "tank resin".

It is a totally different product than laminating resin.

Lew

Tony

Hi Lew
Yes, I realise that ordinary laminating (polyester) resin is no good and
that most epoxies are two part products.
So is what you are sayin is that there is a special type of epoxy called
'Tank resin' which is not like the normal epoxy which I may buy at the local
chandlers?

Tony UK

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tony wrote:
Hi
Anyone know if there is a special epoxy to use for diesel fuel tanks or
just any ordinary epoxy?
Im in the UK btw
Tony UK

The epoxy used to coat the inside of tanks is a solvent based, two part
product commonly known as "tank resin".

It is a totally different product than laminating resin.

Lew

Lew Hodgett

Tony wrote:
Hi Lew
Yes, I realise that ordinary laminating (polyester) resin is no good and
that most epoxies are two part products.

I was referring to epoxy laminating resin, not polyester.

So is what you are sayin is that there is a special type of epoxy called
'Tank resin' which is not like the normal epoxy which I may buy at the local
chandlers?

Yes, tank resin is a solvent based product.

May or may not be able at a retail chandlery in the UK. I don't know.

Lew
Peter Hendra

Gentlemen,
I built both my water tanks as well as the two diesel tanks from cheap
(rough finish - best) half inch construction plywood and simply used
the same ordinary epoxy resin and glass cloth (one layer of 11 oz
cloth to the inside) I used to clad the hull and decks. I did apply
epoxy filler fillets in the corners before glassing. I also glass
taped the outside edges for extra strength but only resined the
outside.

We launched the boat in 1993 and the tanks have not leaked a drop of
diesel and we have done quite a bit of pounding about the seas since.
I did apply about three coats of resin and sanded lightly between
coats.

One of our 27 gallon (imperial gals) water tanks leaked a year or so
ago from one of the top joins. It has only a single side to side
baffle and the sloshing of the water in the half empty tank must have
opened up the joint. Repaired now but I should have glassed the inside
and outside joins of the top more heavily - with chopped strand mat.

Peter
N.Z. yacht Herodotus

Matt O'Toole

Tony wrote:

Hi
Anyone know if there is a special epoxy to use for diesel fuel tanks
or just any ordinary epoxy?
Im in the UK btw
Tony UK

There's an article about this at the WestSystem/Epoxyworks website
(www.epoxyworks.com/indexprojects.html). I can't link directly to the article
because the site uses frames. The Gudgeon Bros. book has stuff on the subject
too. WestSystem can supply the correct resins, etc. I've built one tank like
this and AFAIK it's still going strong, 20 years later. Using the white pigment
really helps while inspecting the tank for flaws, as well as subsequent
maintenance (should that be necessary).

You may want to look into various regulations and insurance requirements before
doing this. Also, with the amount of labor involved, a polyethylene tank starts
to look pretty cheap.

Matt O.

Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Boat Building 7 February 19th 04 08:00 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Marketplace 0 February 19th 04 04:48 PM
Homemade water tanks. Backyard Renegade Boat Building 11 October 27th 03 01:07 PM
diesel fuel tanks P.C. Boat Building 2 August 22nd 03 04:10 AM