BoatBanter.com

-   -   Caught Off Guard by a Squall - what to do? (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/38505-caught-off-guard-squall-what-do.html)

[email protected] May 30th 05 01:08 AM

Caught Off Guard by a Squall - what to do?

I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the
sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

Thanks,
Bob Bramble

Don White May 30th 05 01:47 AM

wrote:
I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the
sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

Thanks,
Bob Bramble

We would turn on the motor and head straight into the wind. The easiest
sail to depower was the genoa. It was roller reefing, so we would roll
it up as fast as possible. Then with the main sheet snugged down so the
boom wouldn't whip around, we eased the main halyard from the cockpit
and one or two crew members would go up on the cabin roof and help the
main fall between the lazy jacks. This was on a Mirage 33.
If we had any idea the winds would gust anywhere near 35 knots, we would
have reduced sail before an emergency happening.

Flying Tadpole May 30th 05 02:01 AM

wrote:
I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the
sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

Thanks,
Bob Bramble

THis is capsize territory. Was there a reason why you couldn't
bear away for a while to give you time to think? (and eg
blanket part of the foresail with the main which opens other
options). I assume that the wind was a bullet of some sort
given it was totally unexpected, so it would pass quickly, and
that implies close quarters to land, but you don't say.

And if really desperate, you could let the sheets go. (which
do you want--a flogged-apart sail or a capsized vessel?)
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
http://www.flyingtadpole.com

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
http://www.flyingtadpole.com

DSK May 30th 05 02:28 AM

wrote:
I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the
sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side.

This happened because when you turn into the wind and the sails stop
driving, the boat stops... which means that water stop flowing past the
rudder and you can no longer steer.

... Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

1- don't "release" the sheets, ease them under control.
2- if you have furling sails, haul in the furling line and reduce sail area.

Don't let sails flog, this causes damage. There is also the risk of a
sheet innjuring crew, or tangling on something and yanking it apart. A
35 knot squall isn't really so bad, but it can be a test.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

[email protected] May 30th 05 03:02 AM

How did this happen? I am sure it is possible, especially if you have
no knowledge of sudden thunderstorms but............
I'd ease the jib sheet while rolling it in and also ease main sheet.
At first sign of a squall, or even thunder, I start engine just to have
it ready.
When the jib is furled have someone go on cabin top and pull down main
even if you are not into the wind but use engine to go into the wind.
However, allowinbg the lines to whip around should not cause real
problems, particularly with the jib sheets, if it does, perhaps you
need to rethink how they are led. I can imagine them getting caught on
the forehatch.
Other than flogging, how can easing the main cause problems? How can
it tangle? Perhaps you tried dropping the main without someone to pull
it down?
If you had gotten the jib under control, allowing the main to flog
should have kept you turned into the wind.
Something is wrong with this scenario, it doesnt seem to fit how my
boat behaves.
Doesnt the boat have weather helm to make it turn into the wind? Mine
does. Under such a situation, she'd turn into the wind so hard you
couldnt hold her off the wind, eventually the heel would be so much the
tiller wouldnt grab and she'd round up into the wind.
Next time, be prepared for sudden winds from a squall, they dont happen
out of nowhere (most of the time). Even thunderstorms imbedded in a
background frequently announce themselves by thunder and then by a
blast of cold wind. When you feel that cold wind, get those sails
down. However, you made it all work and know what to look for next
time.

JG May 30th 05 05:41 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the
sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

Thanks,
Bob Bramble

You might want to consider learning how to heave to. It's pretty simple, and
it will afford you the opportunity to deal with the situation in a calm and
reasoned manner. Every boat is different when it comes to heaving to. The
basic procedure is to immediately tack from a close hauled position without
releasing the jib. This backwinds the jib, which slows the boat down. Then,
you need to ease the main a bit to a lot, depending on the boat. Then, turn
the tiller toward the mainsheet (or the wheel away from it). This
configuration causes the boat to slowly scull back and forth. You will have
an opportunity to reef the main every time the pressure comes off it, as the
jib takes over. After the main is sufficiently reefed, then you can bring
the jib to the other side and start sailing. You could then blanket the jib
with the main on a deep reach and furl it in.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Rosalie B. May 30th 05 01:56 PM

Flying Tadpole wrote:

wrote:
I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the

We have three roller furling sails (cutter rig). I would not regard
35 kts as a dangerous situation, especially if it is just a gust but
we have a bigger heavier boat than you probably do. Uncomfortable
certainly.

We might heave to, but fin keeled boats don't heave to very well. You
need to practice this a bit to see if you can do it. We can, but we
have a modified full keel.

I agree that you ought to turn on the engine to help maneuver the boat
into the wind. Keep in mind that it is just as effective to go dead
downwind as this also takes the pressure off everyone. IME, this is
easier to accomplish than to go into the wind. It depends on how
restricted you were in ability to maneuver.

sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

We have all the furling lines led back to the cockpit so that
everything can be handled from there. If you do not, then that is one
step you can take.

Another step is to keep the radio on so that you will get weather
alerts, and keep on eye out for squalls lines. When you see the big
thunderclouds and especially lightening, turn on the engine and start
to roll the sails in before it gets to you.

THis is capsize territory. Was there a reason why you couldn't
bear away for a while to give you time to think? (and eg
blanket part of the foresail with the main which opens other
options). I assume that the wind was a bullet of some sort
given it was totally unexpected, so it would pass quickly, and
that implies close quarters to land, but you don't say.

And if really desperate, you could let the sheets go. (which
do you want--a flogged-apart sail or a capsized vessel?)

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id1.html

Denis Marier May 30th 05 02:44 PM

If caught Off Guard by a Squall - what to do:
the fastest thing is to let the wind go through by letting the sheets go.

I have been knocked down by a sudden gust of wind several times.
The first time I got knocked down it was on a bright sunny day when a down
spout took over and heavy rain took over with very strong wind.

Every time that it happened I noticed some black clouds and down spouts.
I can usually see the wind coming on the water and the rain starting. With
the strength of the wind the only thing I can do is to let the sheets go and
open up the sails until the blow is over. Usually it lasted 2-5 minutes
max. Any other tactics could damage the mast and rigging. Any sudden
movement of the boom or jibbing may cause severe damages.

Now when I noticed sign of any down spouts forming or unusual black clouds
in the horizon the alert is on and all sails are trimmed or pulled down.
Or better, before leaving the harbor, if I see signs of down spouts forming
I adjust the sails accordingly go bare poles or stay in.

"JG" wrote in message
oups.com...

JG May 30th 05 06:28 PM

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Flying Tadpole wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I've never had any trouble heaving-to on fin keel boats.. rarely sail on
others. In fact, even the small Holders with retractable keels will heave
to. Why do you say that? They may not be hove to with as much stability as
other keel boats, but it usually works sufficiently for a squal. I've never
heard any reports that say they wouldn't do ok in offshore, high wind/wave
conditions either.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Denis Marier May 30th 05 07:15 PM

Heaving-to during a sudden strong gust of wind that struck you by surprise
is questionable. Heaving-to in steady and gradual strong wind has help.
Has anyone had practical experience in heaving to in strong Squalls where
the wind velocity may reach, at time, over 50 kits. In a Squall the
velocity of the wind does not build up it hit you full strength. I picture
myself opening a door and then be struck by a squall without any warning!
The impact is strong and may damage the rigging. Once the boat is knock
down at 90 degrees the sails do not offer any more wind resistance and the
rudder become non operational. The idea is to minimize the wind resistance
so the sudden impact does not produce a 360 degree knock down. In either
case safety harness shall be worn. The other thing to consider is to make
sure that you have a wide enough berth to maneuver.
"JG" wrote in message

Rosalie B. May 30th 05 07:37 PM

"JG" wrote:
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .

wrote:
[...]

I have a video tape on heavy weather sailing in which several well
known sailors (west coast mostly IIRC) went through various tactics to
be used in high winds etc. The last time this question came up, I
went to the tape and copied down the names of these people, but I no
longer have those notes, and am not sure where the tape is either.
You might be able to google it.

They could not heave to effectively in a fin keeled boat so that the
boat would not still be traveling - slower speed but still moving, and
I think they were worried about the boat broaching? - but maybe that
was lying ahull.

Mostly I think because there's not enough underwater to balance the
sails. Now of course this wasn't just for a squall, but a full
fledged storm - they were out in winds that were very brisk with IIRC
breaking wavelets.

I didn't say that fin keel boats would not do well offshore, and I've
never been on a fin keel boat to my knowledge, so I don't know. I was
just relying on what all these big names in sailing said (and
demonstrated) was so.

grandma Rosalie

Rosalie B. May 30th 05 08:26 PM

Rosalie B. wrote:

"JG" wrote:

[...]

I tried to Google the newsgroups on this and finally found where I
wrote about this before, and it was on the world_cruising list and not
a newsgroup.

This is what I wrote and what someone responded to me on

Tue, 21 Aug 2001

...I have a video tape about heavy weather sailing (in addition to the
Pardey's book and another book and a couple of books about sea
anchors/drogues which we have one of, but haven't had a place to try
it yet.)

I think the video tape makes the point that different boats will have
different optimal methods of dealing with heavy weather. The boat in
the video had a fin keel, and when hove too, it was broadside to the
waves, which would not be good. The experts in the video recommended
that such a boat would do better to run before the wind. I made notes
on the tape (watched it twice) and this is what my notes say:

The tape is "Heavy Weather Sailing", and it was narrated by Mark Schrader
(apparently an organizer and racer) and written by Gary Clark and Tim Sevison.

The demo boat named "Segue" was sailed off the northern California coast
and was manned by Zan Drejes (Bear Flag Yacht Services), Liz Baylis (a
competitive sailor) and Allan Little (Merchant Marine Officer and charter
boat captain). They specified that the boat was a moderate displacement
fin keel, spade rudder boat with a roller reefing (headsail) system and
that they were simulating a shorthanded (i.e. cruising and not racing)
crew.

The tape addressed sailing in heavy weather (various aspects), protective
equipment and storm tactics. Various experts were interviewed, and these
included:

Steve Dashew, Warren Luhrs (President of Hunter Marine), John Jourdane,
Olaf Harken, Mike Plant (competitive sailor), Jay Mason (Master Chief at
USCG Motor Lifeboat School) who spoke about seasickness, John Neal
(author), and David Kennedy (owner of Armchair Sailor Bookstore).

Specialists on sails and rigging included Patrick Adams, Steve Taft, Neal
Pryde and Pryde's sails manager Tim Yourteff. I have no way of knowing how
famous or infamous any of these people are as I did not recognize any names
except Steve Dashew.

Among other things, they said: Boats with modern underbodies are capable
of surfing (downwind as an active storm tactic) well in excess of hull
speed, but that older designs are not suited to active tactics. Schrader
reiterated that fin keel spade rudder boats increase steering control with
increased speed. Dashew also said that medium to light displacement fin
keel, spade or skeg rudder boats will steer better at high speeds than full
keel heavy displacement boats. Luhrs felt that the Colin Archer designs
(implied older designs here) were so heavily built that they could handle
heaving to without a problem.

Then they addressed passive tactics - a time when even under bare poles the
boat is moving too fast to steer. Schrader described heaving too, and
asked if a fin keel boat could heave to, so the demo boat tried it. They
ended up hove to with the wind and seas abeam, and Schrader said that
modern boats tend to pivot around the fin keel.

I thought that the boat belonged to Zan, who did most of the helmsman work,
and so I assumed that if he could heave his own boat to that it wouldn't
work well on that boat or on that type of boat.

They did address a drogue once and said it should not be put in from the
bow.

--------

Answer of another list member and

my reply interspersed

I believe I bought that video at a flea market for $5.00 then sold it on e-bay
when I saw what it was. It was mostly paid for by Hunter. Hunter and Steve
Dashew have an interest in light fin keel boats. The video gave me the

I got it second hand too. I mostly discounted what it said because I
know we CAN heave to, and that we DON'T have a light fin keel boat.
So I assumed that the tactics that they advocated would not be optimal
for us. I didn't know the connection with Hunter. But that's why I
was careful to say who they used as 'experts' - because I had/have no
idea who they were.

impression they wanted you to believe Hunters etc. are good blue water boats
because they can out run bad weather. They then wanted you to believe if you
handled the boat like they said it would be safe in a storm.
Some observations. When they couldn't get the boat to heave to they tried
running down wind. This presented the unreinforced sugar scoop transom to the
seas. That was Ok in the approx. 20 knts wind they were in. They were also I
think in the bay. Deadly offshore with a drogue to slow you down. Read the
comments of the coast guard study on that one..

I don't think they were in the bay - they were somewhere off the west
coast IIRC.

It was also my impression that the video was intended to be for their version of
heavy weather which seemed to be about 20 to 25 knts in protected waters. Kind
of a left handed way to get people to buy their boats. Actually might be Ok for
people who just want a spacious boat to sail on the bay. They probable can out
run bad weather and get back to the slip. Some what harder to do on a long
offshore passage.
Anyway I was left with a bad feeling that that video could get someone hurt if
it caused a newbe to believe the boat could do more than it can.

grandma Rosalie

Jonathan Ganz May 31st 05 12:10 AM

"JG" wrote in message
I've never had any trouble heaving-to on fin keel boats.. rarely sail on
others. In fact, even the small Holders with retractable keels will heave
to. Why do you say that? They may not be hove to with as much stability as
other keel boats, but it usually works sufficiently for a squal. I've

never
heard any reports that say they wouldn't do ok in offshore, high wind/wave
conditions either.

I don't think a sudden gust is really a big deal. Clearly, one should
just ease the sheets or release the traveller, and the gust will past,
but if there is a general building of wind, then heaving to is and
does work. I've done it in wind over 30 kts in order to calm things
and reef.

Example, coming out the gate, we found sudden 30kts wind with higher
gusts and 10 foot waves. We hove to, settled things down, reefed, and
went on our way. No big deal.

I guess I'm wondering how one would not see a squall of that magnitude
coming. Obviously, one would not want to heave to in a crowded spot.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

Jonathan Ganz May 31st 05 12:12 AM

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:
"JG" wrote:
[...]

I'd love to see or get a hold of that video! Do you know the name of
it... is it commmercially available?

[email protected] May 31st 05 12:38 AM

Yes, the wind indeed felt like a bullet. It was in the Long Island
Sound - about 1/2 nm from shore. In hindsight, it probably would have
made sense to bear away to a broad reach? I did not for two reasons.
(1) I wasn't sure if that would have made the boat more vulerable to
another knockdown and (2) I was too focused on trying to head into the
wind in order to furl the sails. A number of folks in this thread
mentioned heaving to. It seems to me that would be ok if the jib is
adequately reefed, but not ok as an emergency measure with a full jib.
What do you think?

[email protected] May 31st 05 12:41 AM

I assumed the jib and mainsail can only be furled when in irons. Can
the sails be furled in any other condition?

[email protected] May 31st 05 12:48 AM

The mailsail furls into the mast. It was the mainsheet that got tangled
with the jib sheets. You have a good point regarding the weather helm.
So many things were happening that I don't recall the pressure on the
wheel.

[email protected] May 31st 05 12:51 AM

Thanks for your good tips! Question: Can sails be furled while heading
downwind?

Don White May 31st 05 02:28 AM

wrote:
I assumed the jib and mainsail can only be furled when in irons. Can
the sails be furled in any other condition?

Light winds...

Rosalie B. May 31st 05 06:04 AM

" wrote:

Thanks for your good tips! Question: Can sails be furled while heading
downwind?

We do it.

grandma Rosalie

Rosalie B. May 31st 05 06:06 AM

lid (Jonathan Ganz) wrote:

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:
"JG" wrote:
[...]

Heavy Weather Sailing

grandma Rosalie

Flying Dutchman May 31st 05 07:51 AM

Although much good advice has already been given, there would seem to
be ample room left for confusion. So let me try to suggest a somewhat
more systematic, though not necessarily noncontroversial, process:.

(Step 1 - recovering from a squall-induced broach)
In spite of the best-laid weather awareness and avoidance plans
violent squalls CAN strike out of a blue sky.... During the severe 1997
El Nino, as we were struggling to windward 10-15 NM off the coast of
Maui in very light winds, we were struck repeatedly by strong williwaws
spawned by the huge mountain ranges. With all sails up and no fuel
reserves to fire up the iron genny we were only able to recover from
the resulting broaches by slacking off the sheets, waiting for the
vessel to righten itself and then momentarily running off.

(Step 2 - fully or partially furling the jib)
Afraid to lose in a few minutes what had cost us many hours to gain we
would work feverishly to furl the genoa (after blanketing it with the
furling staysail to reduce friction) and then climb on deck to manually
pull the main down to its third reef points. Even with an experienced
helmsman at the wheel, however, working within the sweep circle of the
boom under these conditions makes one feel like a baseball within range
of Babe Ruth's bat! An uncontrolled gybe is almost certainly going to
become a home run.....

(Step 3 - attempting to "heave to")
Therefore, if at all possible, heaving-to is by far the preferred
solution. Instead of trying to tack through the wind it is often
possible to head up far enough to take the pressure of the headsail
(i.e. staysail or partially furled genoa) and then crank the clew over
to windward far enough to backwind the sail while simultaneously
countering the rudder.

(Step 4 - heading up without going "in irons")
If unable to heave to, IMHO the safest option is to return clew and
rudder to their old position and then to keep turning upwind while
tightening and flattening the partially furled jib (or the staysail)
till your vessel is slowly jogging against wind and waves with the
traveler and boom fully to leeward and the mainsheet just tight enough
to keep the boom from slamming around. Chances are that boom and
mainsail are now pointing far enough into the wind to take most of the
pressure of luff and sail slides while your vessel continues to slowly
sail to windward without the need for starting up the engine. If so,
just go ahead and deep-reef, drop or furl the mainsail.

Have fun!

Henk Meuzelaar
S/V "Rivendel II", Port Vila, Vanuatu

Flying Tadpole May 31st 05 02:02 PM

wrote:
Yes, the wind indeed felt like a bullet. It was in the Long Island
Sound - about 1/2 nm from shore. In hindsight, it probably would have
made sense to bear away to a broad reach? I did not for two reasons.
(1) I wasn't sure if that would have made the boat more vulerable to
another knockdown and (2) I was too focused on trying to head into the
wind in order to furl the sails.

I sail with arcane rigs, so some of what I do isn't
translatable. However, on both the light schooner and Lady
Kate the AS29, turning up into a bullet is a recipe for
capsize and swamping in the one, and knockdown in the other.
The light schooner (a boat requiring crew) as an open and low
boat would already be sailing with her lee rail down. A sharp
turn into the wind would knock her down further, assisted by a
powerful spade rudder tending to act as an elevator plane
because of the angle, both reinforcing the knockdown; also
stop her dead allowing the waves to take her over also.
Bearing away, turning downwind, brings the boat up to level
rather than heeled. While the risk now is driving under, it
allows time to think and possibly come back to the wind a bit
at a higher speed through the water, or alternatively time to
set up and get the crew coordinated to bring the boat to the
wind and heave to to allow reefing. Because the schooner's
biggest sail is the last, it's very easy to drop the foresail
and continue on main and jib--the lazy man's reef!

All of the light schooner capsizes reported to me have in the
end been due to a failure or an inability to bear away when
hit. Including my own efforts.

The 2.5 tons extra weight and huge watertight volume of Lady
Kate means that a knockdown is an irritation and an
embarrassment, not a drama. But, she's single-handed, and a
cat-yawl with all of a catboat's wilfulness downwind with too
much sail up. In her case, when hit, I heave to immediately,
get my breath back, then start reefing. In those
circumstances, I'm usually in a washing machine chop, but no
underlying swell.

A number of folks in this thread
mentioned heaving to. It seems to me that would be ok if
the jib is
adequately reefed, but not ok as an emergency measure with a
full jib.
What do you think?

I think you need to learn how to heave to, and do that as the
standard first step, rrather than attempt head to wind or
immediately relying on motor. Heaving to is both a
convenience AND an emergency measure, and indeed in emergency
circumstances you should be heaving to to reef, not
surrendering control of your boat (which you are doing by
trying to stop head to wind. What happens when the head falls
off?? Or--given the dependence many lay on motors to hold one
head to wind--what happens if the squall or chop kills your
motor?? (Keep the motor as the last resort, not the first)
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
http://www.flyingtadpole.com

Flying Tadpole May 31st 05 02:03 PM

wrote:
snip
So many things were happening that I don't recall the pressure on the
wheel.

One more word. So many things _do_happen when it all goes
pear-shaped. bearing away to begin with gives you that extra
time to get your head together, on an _upright_ vessel, with
less apparent wind!
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
http://www.flyingtadpole.com

JG May 31st 05 05:39 PM

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
lid (Jonathan Ganz) wrote:

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:
"JG" wrote:
[...]

Ah... certainly heard of that one, but never did see it... thanks

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

JG May 31st 05 05:40 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your good tips! Question: Can sails be furled while heading
downwind?

Jib for sure... never had a main furler, so I never tried. I would think
not.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

JG May 31st 05 05:44 PM

"Red Cloud®" wrote in message
On 30 May 2005 16:10:27 -0700,
lid (Jonathan Ganz)
wrote:

I guess I'm wondering how one would not see a squall of that magnitude
coming. Obviously, one would not want to heave to in a crowded spot.

It can depend greatly on the layout where you sail. In the western end of
the
LIS, there is land to the south and west of of you, and that is where most
"weather" comes from in the summer. It can be hard to see things coming,
because
they are hidden by land until shortly before they hit you. In the eastern
LIS,
you have a lot more time to be aware of what is coming in most cases. In
the
summer, almost all forecasts include "chance of thunderstorms". From
around
halfway up the LIS (New Haven) to the eastern end, that doesn't matter so
much,
especially if you have radar. You can see the things coming from a long
distance
and usually sail around them if they are headed your way.

rusty redcloud.

I guess that's true.

Interestingly, the original poster said that after the initial gust was
followed by the "wind ...continuing... to pushing the boat out of irons and
over on it's side." This seems to imply that it wasn't just a gust. The
poster follows with "caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping
around and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but
it was a real scare." So, this implies that it wasn't just a gust. I still
think heaving to would be appropriate after easing the sheets initially to
take off the pressue.

JG May 31st 05 05:45 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
The mailsail furls into the mast. It was the mainsheet that got tangled
with the jib sheets. You have a good point regarding the weather helm.
So many things were happening that I don't recall the pressure on the
wheel.

Is this your boat? I'm not a big fan of furling mains. Never sailed on one,
but it seems like you have to be pointed pretty close to head into the wind
to furl it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

DSK May 31st 05 05:54 PM

A good post, thanks Henk (more below)

Flying Dutchman wrote:
Although much good advice has already been given, there would seem to
be ample room left for confusion. So let me try to suggest a somewhat
more systematic, though not necessarily noncontroversial, process:.

controversy: why do so many people think they should turn on their
engine? Have they all forgotten how to *sail*?

(Step 1 - recovering from a squall-induced broach)
In spite of the best-laid weather awareness and avoidance plans
violent squalls CAN strike out of a blue sky.... During the severe 1997
El Nino, as we were struggling to windward 10-15 NM off the coast of
Maui in very light winds, we were struck repeatedly by strong williwaws
spawned by the huge mountain ranges. With all sails up and no fuel
reserves to fire up the iron genny we were only able to recover from
the resulting broaches by slacking off the sheets, waiting for the
vessel to righten itself and then momentarily running off.

This is a decision one has to make in a snap... run off (bear away) or
head up into the wind? One of the factors that I'd consider is the
boat's current point of sail. Anywhere below a beam reach, run off.
Between a beam reach and close reach, it would depend on what sails were
set and the handling characteristics of the particular boat. Above a
beam reach, particularly if close hauled, there is nothing to be gained
by bearing away in a squall and the boat may not answer her helm well
enough if the squall lays her over.

(Step 2 - fully or partially furling the jib)
Afraid to lose in a few minutes what had cost us many hours to gain we
would work feverishly to furl the genoa (after blanketing it with the
furling staysail to reduce friction) and then climb on deck to manually
pull the main down to its third reef points.

One issue with furling the jib is that the balance of the boat will change.

... Even with an experienced
helmsman at the wheel, however, working within the sweep circle of the
boom under these conditions makes one feel like a baseball within range
of Babe Ruth's bat! An uncontrolled gybe is almost certainly going to
become a home run.....

If you're pulling down the mainsail, wouldn't the sheet be hauled in so
that the crew can reach the boom in the first place?

(Step 3 - attempting to "heave to")
Therefore, if at all possible, heaving-to is by far the preferred
solution. Instead of trying to tack through the wind it is often
possible to head up far enough to take the pressure of the headsail
(i.e. staysail or partially furled genoa) and then crank the clew over
to windward far enough to backwind the sail while simultaneously
countering the rudder.

Never done it this way, but it's true that tacking into a sudden squall
may not work very well.

With regard to earlier discussion: yes fin keel boats, especially
sloops, do not always heave-to reliably and/or steadily. This is
something that should be practiced so as to know the boat well.

(Step 4 - heading up without going "in irons")
If unable to heave to, IMHO the safest option is to return clew and
rudder to their old position and then to keep turning upwind while
tightening and flattening the partially furled jib (or the staysail)
till your vessel is slowly jogging against wind and waves with the
traveler and boom fully to leeward and the mainsheet just tight enough
to keep the boom from slamming around. Chances are that boom and
mainsail are now pointing far enough into the wind to take most of the
pressure of luff and sail slides while your vessel continues to slowly
sail to windward without the need for starting up the engine. If so,
just go ahead and deep-reef, drop or furl the mainsail.

Very practical suggestion. This heading up slightly and easing the sails
used to be called a "fisherman's reef." It's still hard on the sails,
but less so than uncontrolled flogging.

One of the things that's hard to believe if you haven't experienced it,
is how *noisy* a sailboat can be in a squall. A good skipper must be
able to think clearly & make good decisions in the midst of all this
furor, and also to be able to communicate with his crew without having
them think he's either angry at them or possibly panicked himself.

Have fun!

Exactly!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

engsol May 31st 05 08:09 PM

I've only been caught in 35 knots once, so I make no claim to be an expert.
The course 'demanded' a broad reach., the instructor had a date.

Based on that experience (in a J-37), I'd expect that if one were to fall off,
then roll up the head sail, it'd be broach-city...instantly. It happened to us 6 times.
Why 6 times? It was a sailing class, and the instructor really didn't know
what to do. The next day, ashore, I asked the instructor why we didn't reef
the main. His answer? "Because we would have had to come head to wind"
After each broach, we *were* head to wind.

This thread is of great interest, since I expect to be on the water within a month,
single-handing.

I agree, FWIW, with the poster who suggested that if the wind was forward of the beam,
that pinching up in a gust should work. In my limited experience I've found that there
is a point where the sails lose power, but do not flog...you kinda of 'tease' it.

Will my Yankee 30 (fin keel) heave to? You can bet that'll be tested very early on..:)
Norm B

Terry Spragg June 1st 05 03:39 PM

wrote:

I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the
sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

Thanks,
Bob Bramble

Ease sheets, haul on reefing lines. Wake up! pay attention, reef
early. There are no plumbers at sea, Billy, and no excuses, neither.

Twenty lashes for you, Billy!

Do you have a "Competancy card?"

Jeeze the cops around here wear jackboots in their zodiaks.
Probably don't know what "heave to" means, though they yell it at
powerboats all the time.

They don't dare say it to a sailboater. Imagine if you can a bullet
head just upwind and abeam saying "Heave to!" while brandishing a
gun. Whatta ya gonna do? Helm hard over, one sunk zodiak, or an
attempted murder charge, or bullet holes in your sails? Disobediance
of a lawful command?

Or act stupid and toss over two beers?

Stupid human tricks, eh?

Terry K

Flying Dutchman June 2nd 05 01:30 AM

Hi, Doug

Thanks for reminding me of the old name "fisherman's reef" for the
boom-into-wind rather than bows-into-wind technique!

DSK wrote:

controversy: why do so many people think they should turn on their
engine? Have they all forgotten how to *sail*?

Couldn't agree more. However, generations of sailors have been taught
(usually under relatively benign wind and wave conditions) to turn
their bows straight into the wind when wanting to make major sail
adjustments. When they first try to do that in a big blow they get the
shock of their life when all hell breaks loose, the bow blows off
faster than they can say "o sh$t" and flogging sails can (and will)
selfdestruct in a matter of seconds. Turning on the engine primarily
enables them to keep the bows from blowing off (so they can let the
sails flog even longer......).

When sailing a finkeeler with high bows that blow off fast, such as our
Legend 43, a medium-sized staysail that can be flattened + inboard
sheeted nicely and deployed in an instant is worth its weight in gold.
To raise sail without the use of an engine, even in boisterous
conditions, we just hoist or unfurl the staysail, sheet it in pretty
good and put the vessel on a close-hauled course after picking up a bit
of speed. If the staysail set is any good it should easily prevent the
bows from blowing off by powering up the rudder. Then one can simply
pull the boom to leeward (with the traveler) slack off the mainsheet a
bit and start hoisting the main. In other words, a "fisherman's reef"
in reverse. No mess, no fuss, no slamming and flogging. I wish
sailing instructors would teach that to their pupils, rather than the
mindless, knee-jerk "steering straight into the wind" routine.

This is a decision one has to make in a snap... run off (bear away) or
head up into the wind? One of the factors that I'd consider is the
boat's current point of sail. Anywhere below a beam reach, run off.
Between a beam reach and close reach, it would depend on what sails were
set and the handling characteristics of the particular boat. Above a
beam reach, particularly if close hauled, there is nothing to be gained
by bearing away in a squall and the boat may not answer her helm well
enough if the squall lays her over.

If one is "only surprised" by a squall (i.e. in the sense of perhaps
reefing a bit too late but not completely losing control), I fully
concur with that approach. However, in major "caught off-guard" squall
situations -- e.g. the violent williwaws I described -- the most likely
scenario is that the vessel broaches almost immediately, thereby
loosing its previous point of sail orientation (not to mention the fact
that many types of violent squalls produce a different wind
direction). Now the first concern should be to try and recover from
the broach by slacking off the sheets while the second step is to
decide on the best possible course as soon as the rudder powers up
again.

If the broached vessel has a staysail or smaller jib that can be
sheeted in and flattened in an instance, I would indeed choose to head
up into the wind and use the fisherman's reef approach to drop or reef
the main.

However, if flying a big overlapping genoa before the broach, trying
into the wind may be asking for trouble. Even with a partially furled
large genoa one will probably not be able to point high enough to do a
fisherman's reef on the main. In that case, I would opt for running
off, at least long enough to get the large genoa (or perhaps drifter)
under control rather than to risk damage by flogging.

One issue with furling the jib is that the balance of the boat will change.

I agree. In our case the staysail provided enough balance (while
helping to blanket the genoa as it was being furled). If one does not
have that option, I would advise to leave just enough of the genoa
unfurled to help keep the COE forward of the CLR. Under no
circumstance should one try to pull in on the mainsheet, however, while
running off with little or no headsail under violent squall conditions.
This brings the CEO back and the result is "broach city" (as the next
poster describes).

If you're pulling down the mainsail, wouldn't the sheet be hauled in so
that the crew can reach the boom in the first place?

As explained above, I would only dare to pull the mainsheet in just
enough to get the main off the spreaders while clawing the slides down
at the mast. In our williwaw adventure, I first pulled the luff down
far enough to secure the 3rd reef cringle at the tack and then started
bringing the boom in far enough to rerig the reef lines at the clew.
Under third reef and staysail we then finally turned back into the
squall in order not to lose more hard-won miles. Altogether, we
managed not to break a single batten or slide, let alone tear any
sails.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Likewise!

Henk Meuzelaar

[email protected] June 2nd 05 07:38 PM

Regardless of how it happened, assume it did.
1. Ease mainsheet to allow boat to begin to right itself.
2. Begin furling the jib (yes, it will furl on any point of sail).
while easing its sheets.

I forget that many boats do not have all sail halyards led to cockpit
and going up onto the cabin top in a broach must be frightening. Sails
are cheap, life isnt, let em flog if necessary
Forget sillies who claim to eschew engine use. Boats have engines for
a reason, in danger, use it.

BTW, my old non-roller furling jib had a downhaul for just such
occasions for FL thunderstorms.
Would a downhaul led to the cockpit work for the main? With any force
on the main, it will not fall by itself but you can always muscle it
down unless it gets caught in the spreaders.

JG June 3rd 05 05:28 AM

Mostly, I agree...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Regardless of how it happened, assume it did.
1. Ease mainsheet to allow boat to begin to right itself.
2. Begin furling the jib (yes, it will furl on any point of sail).
while easing its sheets.

That's good if you can do it. Sometimes, the pressure is so great on the
jib, that I've found it impossible to furl or when furled doesn't furl the
whole way because the jib becomes wound too tight and runs out.

I forget that many boats do not have all sail halyards led to cockpit
and going up onto the cabin top in a broach must be frightening. Sails
are cheap, life isnt, let em flog if necessary
Forget sillies who claim to eschew engine use. Boats have engines for
a reason, in danger, use it.

Yes, but you need to be absolutely certain that lines are not in the water
of course.

BTW, my old non-roller furling jib had a downhaul for just such
occasions for FL thunderstorms.
Would a downhaul led to the cockpit work for the main? With any force
on the main, it will not fall by itself but you can always muscle it
down unless it gets caught in the spreaders.

Worked for my boat. If nothing else, it'll help. They're easy to rig.

Flying Dutchman June 3rd 05 06:40 AM

wrote:
Regardless of how it happened, assume it did.
1. Ease mainsheet to allow boat to begin to right itself.

Throughout this thread no one has argumented anything else. No
disagreement here.

2. Begin furling the jib (yes, it will furl on any point of sail).
while easing its sheets.

As soon as the vessel rights itself in the squall, with lots of sail
draped all over the place, it will start sailing in some direction or
other. The most immediate issue is therefo what point of sail are
you trying to steer and why??

Without a clear strategy at this juncture, all you are going to achieve
is to set yourself up for your next broach (as two posters have clearly
demonstrated in their stories).

A crucial question in this strategy is whether you are trying to
achieve proper sail balance for going upwind or for running off.

Any attempt to overly simplify the issues is just a prescription for
more threshing around.

Have fun,

Henk Meuzelaar

DSK June 6th 05 01:38 PM

wrote:
Regardless of how it happened, assume it did.
1. Ease mainsheet to allow boat to begin to right itself.

Check.

2. Begin furling the jib (yes, it will furl on any point of sail).
while easing its sheets.

Important point "while easing sheets." The jib may well furl on any
point of sail, but if it is flogging wildly then it will furl badly or
not at all. Several times I have seen people roll up their jibs in hard
gusts, and the upper part of the sail will be a gnarled-up baggy bundle
instead of a neat roll. This causes a lot of drag and may still have
exposed edges flogging, which *will* damage the sail and may make the
boat much more difficult to control.

I forget that many boats do not have all sail halyards led to cockpit
and going up onto the cabin top in a broach must be frightening.

If you're smart enough to hang on, it may be safer than the cockpit.

... Sails
are cheap, life isnt, let em flog if necessary

I disagree strongly.
1- shredded sails are expensive
2- it increases the danger from the boat being out of control, and
hugely increases the risk of snagging some part of the sail or sheet on
either the rig, deck fitting, or crew.

Forget sillies who claim to eschew engine use. Boats have engines for
a reason, in danger, use it.

Except that you may get a line in the prop, or an air lock, or a slug of
crud from the tank, etc etc. It's funny how an engine that runs
perfectly under calm circumstances cannot be relied on when it's an
"emergency."

Generally, if one cannot keep one's head and *sail* the boat thru a
squall, taking proper measures and keeping the boat under control, then
relying on an engine to magically take over when the sails are too scary
& uncontrollable will not succeed.

This kind of thinking is one reason why I advocate learning to sail in
small responsive boats with no engine. One afternoon of sailing a 14
footer in 15 ~ 20 knot winds will teach you more about how to handle a
25+ footer in a squall than a decade of furling & motoring.

BTW, my old non-roller furling jib had a downhaul for just such
occasions for FL thunderstorms.
Would a downhaul led to the cockpit work for the main? With any force
on the main, it will not fall by itself but you can always muscle it
down unless it gets caught in the spreaders.

A downhaul can be a good thing. Rarely see them on mainsails but it can
certainly work. If you have properly rigged lazyjacks, they reduce the
odds of getting things caught in the spreaders, too.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Don White June 6th 05 04:13 PM

DSK wrote:

A downhaul can be a good thing. Rarely see them on mainsails but it can
certainly work. If you have properly rigged lazyjacks, they reduce the
odds of getting things caught in the spreaders, too.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

A number of owners of my class of boat have rigged mainsail downhauls to
help in singlehanded sailing. I will be doing same when My main & jib
eturn from a local sailmaker.

Andy Repton June 7th 05 09:45 AM

On 2005-05-31, Flying Tadpole wrote:

I sail with arcane rigs, so some of what I do isn't
translatable. However, on both the light schooner and Lady
Kate the AS29, turning up into a bullet is a recipe for
capsize and swamping in the one, and knockdown in the other.
The light schooner (a boat requiring crew) as an open and low
boat would already be sailing with her lee rail down. A sharp
turn into the wind would knock her down further, assisted by a
powerful spade rudder tending to act as an elevator plane
because of the angle, both reinforcing the knockdown; also
stop her dead allowing the waves to take her over also.
Bearing away, turning downwind, brings the boat up to level
rather than heeled.

I'm trying to picture turning up producing more heeling force and
having difficulty. I've been sailing dinghies recently and if hit
by a gust, feathering up reduces the heeling force whilst bearing
away places more of the sail square on to the wind and increases
the heeling. How is the schooner different?

--
Andy Repton

Flying Tadpole June 7th 05 02:43 PM

Andy Repton wrote:
On 2005-05-31, Flying Tadpole wrote:

[...]

First, we always sailed her as hard as possible, so anywhere
on the wind the lee rail would tend to be a few inches above
the water. Think "not much scope for error"

Second, the rudder is way aft, deep and powerful, pintle hung
and _not_ balanced, carrying over a quarter of the lateral
plane the daggerboard carries half-and-a-bit when heeled, and
the chine (sharpie hull) carries the rest. Think "lots of
water/pressure at the rudder"

Third, the boat, though half a ton with a two-up crew, is as
rapid in response to helm movement as a small dinghy and will
be travelling, in the circumstances described, well over hull
speed. 8-12 knots depending on where the wind is. Think "momentum"

Putting the helm down to round up, sets the rudder, on an
already heeling hull, acting like an elevator plane, heeling
the boat further as she starts spinnong ruound. At this
point, the lee rail cuts under...boat slows, and blows over
(or would, but we've probably let fly the sheets at this
point, of up to four sails.

Incidentally, the hull shape is sufficiently narrow for its
length _not_ to also suddenly transform the boat into a foul
mouthed broaching monster, which is what happens to most of
the trailable yachts in her sailing grounds.

The falling off when hit by a bullet is also a standard
catamaran trick, and we used it to the same advantage.
Bullet? Fall off, come more upright, pick up speed, come back
on course at higher speed. Really too much bullet? Ease the
sheet while doing so. Really, really too much bullet? Still
fall off to recover, then come to the wind while easing sheets
(staying as upright as possible) and heave to to reef.
Incidentally, the boat fore-reaches at about 2knots hove-to,
so in close proximity to obstacles, reefing is done as fast as
possible.

More info on the website, from memory
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
http://www.flyingtadpole.com

Jere Lull June 10th 05 03:30 AM

In article .com,
wrote:

I was recently sailing in a 38' sloop rigged cruiser. Both the jib and
the main are the furling type.

I was caught off guard by a sudden 35 kt gust than pinned the sails
down hard. I fought to turn into the wind so that I can furl the
sails, but this was a real struggle, as the wind kept pushing the boat
out of irons and over on it's side. Unfortunately, the sails were not
reefed in the first place. Releasing the sheets helped ease the heel
angle, but caused a real mess as all the lines started whipping around
and getting tangled. Eventually, we managed to furl the sails, but it
was a real scare.

Any advice on what would have been the best way to handle that
situation?

Thanks,
Bob Bramble

I read the other posts to date and there's a lot of good stuff, albeit
confusing if you don't remember that all boats handle differently and
you have to deal with YOUR boat.

On a 50' charter boat in tradewind conditions, a squall with 35 knot
winds is sometimes best handled by heading down and surfing at fantastic
speeds. Letting the boat head up from a broad reach can *almost* toss
the "deck fluff" sunning on the foredeck overboard from the sudden heel.
(The Admiral and I were *not* amused.)

We've sailed 20-35 knots (gusting) in our little girl, though only on a
beam reach, and we were reefed, on the working jib and had prepared
otherwise. Was great fun.

But when surprised and overpressed, my first action is to ease the main
and feather toward the wind (NOT going head to wind, just luffing). If
things are still too hairy, I ease the jib or release and furl it. Main
flaps like crazy, but safety first, maintaining at least a bit of speed
for steerage.

Then, we have an option you don't: Release the main halyard and let the
main drop. Sloppy, but effective. You'll have to experiment with your
r/f main. Perhaps that's your first job, then crank in the wildly (but
intentionally) luffing jib.

If things REALLY have gone pear shaped, we just release the sheets and
let everything flog off to the side until we figure out what to do.
(maintain steerage!)

Heaving to with out boat is rarely possible. I got bit by motoring
through sheets twice, so rarely consider it until much later.

Of course, all this is improved with planning and by looking outside of
the boat. Most squalls can be seen coming IF you remember to look for
them every once in a while. Notice that there's often a different
quality of light well before squalls, sorta reddish even when the sun is
high. (Was reminded of that this afternoon.) ANY change gives a reason
to look up and around. A suddenly cooler breeze often evokes an
immediate call to strike sails. A dark band of clouds is not the only
warning.

And keep things neat, just in case. Your sheets should be ready to use,
and should not be be underfoot or intermingled.

You will have practiced your emergency procedures under benign
conditions, of course. Monday, the winds were right and no one was in
the way, so we sailed into the marina, engine ticking over but out of
gear. Got us applause as usual, but we don't do it to impress, we do it
for that time the engine died a couple of miles out and we had to sail
in with 15-20 behind too-big sails and just ahead of the REAL wind. Had
to gybe three times to get through the breakwaters and around the fuel
dock, but it wasn't that big a thing. Afterwards, we had a postmortem to
improve our technique. (Have more fuel in the tank!)

Getting caught off guard was about the middle of your chain of mistakes.
I suspect some of them won't happen next time. If you're like me, you'll
wake up some nights "dealing" with some emergency in your dreams.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: