Default How do I rig a Crew Overboard Pole

I have a COB pole, with the PVC-type base and topper with shock cord.
But it isn't installed on my boat yet...

What I can't find on the Internet is an explanation of how to attach
the pole to the boat properly.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Rosalie B.

" wrote:

I have a COB pole, with the PVC-type base and topper with shock cord.
But it isn't installed on my boat yet...

What I can't find on the Internet is an explanation of how to attach
the pole to the boat properly.

Can anyone advise?

We have a MOB pole which is meant to mark the place where the MOB went
overboard. So it isn't attached to the boat. As I understand it, you
throw it off and it sits there in the water near the MOB to mark their
location.

Bob made one with a bike flag on the top, a float in the middle and a
weight on the bottom. He checked it to be sure that it would float
in the appropriate configuration. We store it along the lifelines
next to the cockpit. It goes into a piece of PVC pipe that is clipped
to the lifelines.

grandma Rosalie
Doug Dotson

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
news
" wrote:

I have a COB pole, with the PVC-type base and topper with shock cord.
But it isn't installed on my boat yet...

What I can't find on the Internet is an explanation of how to attach
the pole to the boat properly.

Can anyone advise?

We have a MOB pole which is meant to mark the place where the MOB went
overboard. So it isn't attached to the boat. As I understand it, you
throw it off and it sits there in the water near the MOB to mark their
location.

Bob made one with a bike flag on the top, a float in the middle and a
weight on the bottom. He checked it to be sure that it would float
in the appropriate configuration. We store it along the lifelines
next to the cockpit. It goes into a piece of PVC pipe that is clipped
to the lifelines.

The holder is what he is asking for. Better than letting it rattle around on
the
deck or stowing it below. A very populat way of mounting up the backstay.
That's assuming the backstay is not cluttered with insulators, biminis, etc.
Most mount are just a couple of piecks of PVC tubung. One hose-clamped
up the backstay and long enough to allow the flag to be rolled up and held
inside to reduce deterioration. The opther is clamped down low so that the
base
of the pole sits in it. To deploy you just lift up the bottom to clear the
holder and drop it. I prefer the MOM since it combines several pieves of
equipment, MOB pole, flotation, marker, sea anchor, etc.

grandma Rosalie

Rosalie B.

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote:

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
news
" wrote:

[...]

I knew the holder was what he was asking for, but I was uncertain
about whether what we have as a MOB pole was in fact the same thing as
he was talking about because he said he wanted to attach it to the
boat. I didn't know if he meant to attach to the boat permanently, or
just to mount for deployment.

the
deck or stowing it below. A very populat way of mounting up the backstay.
That's assuming the backstay is not cluttered with insulators, biminis, etc.

That would not work well for us because we have a center cockpit boat.
Someone would have to climb out of the cockpit and go around to the
stern.

Most mounts are just a couple of pieces of PVC tubung. One hose-clamped
up the backstay and long enough to allow the flag to be rolled up and held
inside to reduce deterioration. The opther is clamped down low so that the
base
of the pole sits in it. To deploy you just lift up the bottom to clear the
holder and drop it. I prefer the MOM since it combines several pieves of
equipment, MOB pole, flotation, marker, sea anchor, etc.

That's basically what we have except horizontal along the lifeline.
Two pieces of PVC pipe hose clamped to the lifelines. Pull back to
get one end out, and then move forward to release the other end, and
drop it.

grandma Rosalie

Rich Hampel

My MOB pole lives on the backstay. It attaches to the backsty with a
mounted PVC capped pipe at the top (to protect the flag from sun/UV)
and a flat clevice attachment to the lower end of the pole/backstay.
The clevis is 'loaded' with quick-pull-pin attached to a lanyard .....
one pull and the whole shebang falls overboard through the pushpit.

To the MOB pole I have attached about about 100 ft of polypropylene
'throwing' line thats stored in a 'throw bag' mounted to the horeshoe.
When the MOB pole goes overboard, the small velcro closure on the bag
gets pulled open and the force of the MOB pole in the water strips line
from the bag .... until the it comes to the very end of the line and
then the Horeshoe then gets pulled off its mount.

Im adding reflective (trucking type) white tape to the MOB pole for
night time recoveries although the Horseshoe has a strobe and whistle.

In article , Doug Dotson