Roger Long

Default Trailer cruising

What is the maximum length of boat that can be trailered without
running into constant parking and turning hassles at ramps? Forget
weight and assume it is a fairly light boat.

--

Roger Long

Matt O'Toole

Roger Long wrote:

What is the maximum length of boat that can be trailered without
running into constant parking and turning hassles at ramps? Forget
weight and assume it is a fairly light boat.

I guess it depends on where you go. I've travelled with a Hobie 33 owner, and
we had no problems. But that was on the west coast, where roads are wider and
villages much roomier. If you spend a lot of time in New England, a big boat
might be more of a hassle. OTOH, truck drivers manage to get their rigs where
they need to go.

Matt O.

Don White

Roger Long wrote:
What is the maximum length of boat that can be trailered without
running into constant parking and turning hassles at ramps? Forget
weight and assume it is a fairly light boat.

At this point, my 18.5 foot Sandpiper 565 is all I'd want to tow. I
have a narrow driveway (10 ft) and live on a fairly narrow street with
someone usually parked directly opposite my driveway.
Tamaroak

I've towed 26' back and forth from Seattle to Minnesota three times
without incident.

Capt. Jeff
Capt. Neal®

"Tamaroak" wrote in message ...
I've towed 26' back and forth from Seattle to Minnesota three times
without incident.

Capt. Jeff

Please don't admit you own a MacGregor 26X.

CN

Tamaroak

I would have swapped in a minute when I was towing it! It's a Cooper
Prowler 8M and weighs 10,000# with the trailer, a bit more than the 26X....

Capt. Jeff
Jere Lull

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

What is the maximum length of boat that can be trailered without
running into constant parking and turning hassles at ramps? Forget
weight and assume it is a fairly light boat.

Personally, length is less a problem than width and weight. Total length
of our '66 Pontiac, trailor and 21' boat was about 50'. Didn't have
trouble at any ramp, though I had to unhook the trailor to turn around
once.

Look and plan ahead at critical points and you'll be fine.

--
Jere Lull
Matt Colie

Roger,

Between the Hobie 33 and an S2-7.9 (~26), there is a good sample. The
beam can come to get you, however. My 7.9 on trailer is nearly 30ft
long and has never been an issue, but I have been queried about the
boat's beam (It is very hard to judge by eye).

BoatUS has a listing of trailer rules by state at
http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/laws.asp
States vary in allowing 8 or 8.5' trailer and load widths over 9 most
often require a permit and have other restrictions.

Matt Colie

Roger Long wrote:
What is the maximum length of boat that can be trailered without
running into constant parking and turning hassles at ramps? Forget
weight and assume it is a fairly light boat.

Understanding Cruising (from rec.boats.cruising) Capt. Neal® ASA 5 April 8th 05 07:19 PM
A question about boat weight and displacement Ante Topic Mimara Cruising 33 April 8th 04 10:58 PM
Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
Correct Trailer set up for towing my speedboat. Chester General 3 July 28th 03 12:55 PM