Terry Spragg

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:52:23 -0400, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:25:05 -0400, "Matt O'Toole"
wrote:
A better way to approach this problem is to seal the mast itself,
running halyards, etc., externally.

External halyards are a really bad idea. They are easier to maintain
but the extra clutter and windage is a huge negative.

They said the same thing 40 years ago about internal halyards. Now some state
of the art designers are saying it again. Calling the windage and clutter
penalty "huge" is overstating it a bit, I think.

We have a 24-year old boat with four internal halyards and an internal
ple lift. Never had a bit of trouble in that length of time. Any
penalty for external is too much. And there is plenty of penalty to be
had.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Ever notice the helical stairways on the outsides at the tops of
tall smokestacks? They are not stairs. They generate vortices that
reduce aerodynamic drag on flimsy chimneys in the wind.

Vortex generators on the leading edges of moths' wings generate
vortex "membranes", bubbles that make their flat wings
aerodynamically more efficient with the vortex air acting like a
curved wing's top skin.

An external halyard can be bungied away from a mast, or wrapped half
around it snug, but cannot be stopped from slapping around if inside.

The rythmic music of a gentle anchorage's lapping wavelets and
gently gonging halyards can serve as a counterpoise to the feared
racket of a rising wind's hammering shriek and slap, awakening the
sailor who's crew is absent to check his anchor.

There is no such thing as perfect silence, as the pounding of the
blood will arouse an unrested sleeper with worry in his head.
Nothing will stop a faithful soul from finding peaceful repose even
in a cement mixer rolling downhill.

We can control our own oblivion. Accept it or avoid it, we do it all
through reason.

Still, some golfers get the yips.

Terry K

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:19:24 -0300, Terry Spragg
wrote:

An external halyard can be bungied away from a mast, or wrapped half
around it snug, but cannot be stopped from slapping around if inside.

Been there, done that. I have never had any problem with internal,
including that one. Not that much wind inside.

I imagine I could induce slapping inside if I tried, but I can't
remember it ever happening. I can remember lots of times when wind
howling in the rigging got very noisy. If there was slapping on some
of those occasions, I might not have thought about it.

I doubt there is a boat anywhere without many more pressing problems
than slapping internal halyards.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Curse thee, thou quadrant. No longer will I guide my earthly way by thee." Capt. Ahab

multihull righting Parallax Cruising 3 October 10th 04 03:17 AM
FS: New Masthead Strobe/Anchor Light in FL Over40pirate Marketplace 0 May 16th 04 04:49 AM
Wind speed & Direction masthead unit that outputs NMEA J Electronics 4 October 10th 03 08:04 PM
Output format from Autohelm ST50 masthead unit J Electronics 2 October 9th 03 10:30 PM
Self righting "car" seat type PFD? Gfretwell General 1 July 20th 03 08:09 PM