katekebo

Default Crusing Cat and Ship Islands, MS

Hello,

I recently moved to New Orleans area and I would like to ask
experienced boaters in Southeast Louisiana and South Mississippi some
questions about Cat and Ship Islands, and surrounding areas.

I am looking for a nice, not-to-crowded, safe beaches to enjoy with my
family. I would prefer places which are accessible by boat. From what
I have research so far on the Internet, it looks like Ship and Cat
Islands south of Gulfport and Biloxi might be the right places.

So, here are my questions:

1) Are these islands accessible by a 17.5 ft roundabout, or will I be
stretching my luck trying to go there in my boat?

2) Which are the recommended spots to anchor and swim? Which are the
places to avoid?

3) Any specific restriction, dangers, or precautions are should take
into account?

4) Can you recommend me any good boat launches in Gulfport or Biloxi to
launch my boat and leave the car?

5) Besides these two islands, can you recommend me any other beaches or
swiming spots, preferably closer to the Rigolets?

Regards.

Jan

katekebo wrote:
1) Are these islands accessible by a 17.5 ft roundabout, or will I be
stretching my luck trying to go there in my boat?

Depends on how seaworthy your particular boat is. Not all 17.5' boats
are the same. Having said that, I've seen people at the islands in
craft I wouldn't take outside the harbor. Summer time squalls come up
in a hurry so be careful. You can be easily caught with a storm
between you and the mainland.
If you're feeling lucky, I recommend staying in the Gulfport/Ship
Island channel. At least that way, if you get in trouble, there's
usually some traffic coming and going.

2) Which are the recommended spots to anchor and swim?

Anywhere on Ship Island is fine. If the wind/surf is up, anchor on the
north side and walk across. Anchoring on an end is a good idea, so you
can scoot around to the leeward side if necessary. You can also tie up
to the dock at the Fort on the north side and walk across the
boardwalk to the swimming area on the south. There's a snack bar,
restrooms, showers etc over there.

Which are the places to avoid?

Anyplace on East or West Ship is fine in a shallow draft boat such as
yours. Watch for shallow on the north side.
On West Ship, the east end of the south side is generally accepted as
a nude beach if that's of interest one way or the other.

Cat island has always been privately owned but portions of its current
status is a bit in question. The Gulf Islands National Seashore was
supposed to buy part of it but rumor has it they've backed out. You
might check with their headquarters in Ocean Springs about that
(Google for phone # etc) . Even so, most of Cat is still privatly
owned. People tresspass on it all the time but I wouldn't advise
anyone to do so out of simple respect for the owner's rights. Fishing
its waters is perfectly legal though.

3) Any specific restriction, dangers, or precautions are should take
into account?

Common sense rules. i.e. jet skis have been banned at Ship Island due
to idiots drowning themselves trying to make the trip. There are also
a miriad of other Govt rules. No camping on the island, things like
that. Weather should be your first concern in a small boat. The chop
can become extremly steep in the sound and it happens very quickly.

4) Can you recommend me any good boat launches in Gulfport

Gulfport Harbor has an excellent boat launch and parking facility. No
charge.

5) Besides these two islands, can you recommend me any other beaches or
swiming spots, preferably closer to the Rigolets?

How about a nice river? There are plenty of them, with sandbars etc.
Take your pick. That might be a better idea in a small boat.

Have a nice trip,

Rick
katekebo

Rick,

Thank you very much for the very extensive and complete reply. On your
recommendation for question #5 - any particular rivers and locations
you are familiar with and could recommend me?

Regards

Jan

katekebo wrote:
any particular rivers and locations
you are familiar with and could recommend me?

I'm not as familiar with the rivers over your way. The Pearl, the
Jordan, and/or the Wolf rivers should be good though. But not right
now as all the rivers are way high due to recent rains so won't have
sand bars anywhere. Check with fishing camps over there. They might be
able to help.
oh! If you'd just like to take a boat ride up a beautiful river, the
Tchefuncte River (Madisonville) would make a nice afternoon trip. It's
on the North shore of Pontcartrain not far from the causeway. There
should be some recreation areas over that way too somewhere. Or maybe
toward Mandeville.
And by the way, I called about Cat Island. The Gulf Island National
Seashore says they have bought the western tip of Cat and also the
extreme South tip. That's all though. The rest is still privately
owned and they have no info on whether they'll be buying any more of
it or not. So the best beaches are still privately owned down to the
mean high tide mark.

One other suggestion. For a first trip to Ship Island, you could
always make a day trip out there on the ferry to check out the place
and decide if you'd like to give it a go on your own later.
http://www.msshipisland.com/
Just a thought.

Rick

Regards

Jan

katekebo

thanks again

kabankers

katekebo wrote:
thanks again

I have been wanting to take a cruise from French Settlement through
Manchac Pass across the Pontchartrain through the Rigolets and up the
West Pearl (more scenic of the two?) for some time now. If you get out
there in the Rigolets and the Pearl, post some details of your trip.