Default Either convinced em or baffled em

Yesterday took my 14 yr old son in for his twice weekly court mandated
urine test and while we were there we met the man who will be in charge
of his probation monitoring. I am sure we both left the meeting
baffled.
First, I have just about found a few days to continue my cruise with my
son if we can just avoid the twice weekly tests. This guy we met was a
VERY tall black man (6'8") named Lawrence Knight who said he was a
former pro basketball player. He exuded authority and the sort of
personality that makes you really want to listen, a kind of magnetism.
We talked awhile and much of it was sprinkled with sports metaphors
that went right over my head as I have never known anything about
organized sports but I respectfully played along. He asked my son
about his fav sport and my son told him "caving", big mistake as this
was incomprehensible to him as he did not think it was a sport so Nick
settled on "paintball". Then he asked about his hero and Nick could
think of nobody so he asked me about mine. I thought of telling him
the truth but the name Luis Szilard would have no meaning to him so I
settled on Lance Armstrong. In spite of this mutual incomprehension,
we got along well and he did ok our trip for a few days. We leave
tomorrow.