BoatBanter.com

-   -   Effective speed much less than theoretical hull speed. (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/34473-effective-speed-much-less-than-theoretical-hull-speed.html)

Matteo April 12th 05 07:46 PM

Effective speed much less than theoretical hull speed.

This is the situation: My 40' LWL boat (15 ton displacement) has a 150
PS engine. From the formula for speed I calculated a hull speed of

sqrt(40)*1.34 = 8.47 knots

*but*: when i did trials last week (absolutely calm water, almost no
wind) those are the results:

800 rpm 5 knots no noticeable waves generated
1100 rpm 5.5 knots small waves
1800 rpm 6.5 knots (flat out) - huge waves generated, stern deep in
the water, boat "running uphill".

1100 rpm is around 50/60 PS (from the engine rpm/PS table).

Question: what could be the cause of the "slowness" of the boat ? I do
not pretend to reach 8.4 knots cruising but at least 7 knots should be
in.

I'm thinging of dirty hull (green slime), incorrect weight
distribution (bow tends to "point" upwards even when crossing small
waves).

Any experience ?

Thanks
Matteo

Roger Long April 12th 05 08:22 PM

Question: what could be the cause of the "slowness" of the boat ?

Expectations.

Hull speed is the theoretical limit for any practical amount of power
unless the hull shape is such that planing lift can start to reduce
the displacement. You have far from that amount of power.

The 1.34 figure would also be for a fairly slender (in flow terms, not
necessarily length to beam) hull. The number goes down as the hull
gets fatter. 1.25 is a more typical number for vessels as heavy as
cruising sailboats and heavy power vessels but they will take a lot of
power to get up to it.

If the hull is making the waves and trimming as you describe, cleaning
the bottom and fiddling with the prop probably won't make much of a
difference.

A lot has to do with the flow angles in the run. The bow makes
rebound up and push the stern ahead, recovering some of the energy
expended in making them and helping keep the stern up. Once the angle
between the run and the direction of motion exceeds 12 - 15 degrees,
the flow separates and the space between the smooth flow and the hull
fills with lazy eddies of water that largely move along with the hull.
Energy from the wave train can not be returned to the hull through the
zone. The effective waterline of your hull is actually from the bow
to the point where the flow lines (generally along the diagonals)
exceeds this critical angle.

--

Roger Long

Roger Long April 12th 05 08:57 PM

Oops. That's supposed to say, "The WAVES THE bow makes..." as
corrected below.

--

Roger Long

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Question: what could be the cause of the "slowness" of the boat ?

Expectations.

Hull speed is the theoretical limit for any practical amount of
power unless the hull shape is such that planing lift can start to
reduce the displacement. You have far from that amount of power.

The 1.34 figure would also be for a fairly slender (in flow terms,
not necessarily length to beam) hull. The number goes down as the
hull gets fatter. 1.25 is a more typical number for vessels as
heavy as cruising sailboats and heavy power vessels but they will
take a lot of power to get up to it.

If the hull is making the waves and trimming as you describe,
cleaning the bottom and fiddling with the prop probably won't make
much of a difference.

A lot has to do with the flow angles in the run. rebound up and

Wayne.B April 12th 05 08:58 PM

On 12 Apr 2005 11:46:08 -0700, (Matteo) wrote:

I'm thinging of dirty hull (green slime), incorrect weight
distribution (bow tends to "point" upwards even when crossing small
waves).

==================================

A dirty bottom and/or dirty props will definitely slow you down. It's
also save to say that the effective waterline length of a 40 ft boat
is actually less than 40 ft. Another factor is something called
prismatic coefficient which if a fancy way of describing how sleek
your hull form is. Obviously it's going to take more power to drive a
40 ft square box through the water than a 40 ft sailboat. The
equation of 1.34 SQRT LWL is realy nothing more than an approximation
and is not written in concrete.

[email protected] April 13th 05 01:45 AM

Roger Long:

One of these days I'd like to look into the derivation of hull speed.
Can you suggest a very basic explanation (a source thereof). I'm just
curious as to when it applies. Like:

Does it apply to non-rigid hulls (hulls that might flex in the middle)
Does it apply to totally submerged objects?
Does it apply to towed objects, like dinghies?
What happens when an object exceeds hull speed?
Is there any way to "fool the water" into acting as if the boat is
longer than it is?

Thanks

David OHara

Wayne.B April 13th 05 02:33 AM

On 12 Apr 2005 17:45:57 -0700, wrote:

One of these days I'd like to look into the derivation of hull speed.

=====================================

I'm guessing a bit but I'm pretty sure that you and James Clerk
Maxwell could figure it out with the aid of some wave equations and
the density of water.

Terry Spragg April 13th 05 05:11 AM

wrote:
Roger Long:

One of these days I'd like to look into the derivation of hull speed.
Can you suggest a very basic explanation (a source thereof). I'm just
curious as to when it applies. Like:

Does it apply to non-rigid hulls (hulls that might flex in the middle)
Does it apply to totally submerged objects?
Does it apply to towed objects, like dinghies?
What happens when an object exceeds hull speed?
Is there any way to "fool the water" into acting as if the boat is
longer than it is?

Thanks

David OHara

I would think that if you remove the water from in front of the boat
and then replace it after the boat has gone by, there would be no
wake, or lost energy caused by the passage of the boat. Then, the
only restriction to speed would be skin friction. Energy left behind
a boat in the form of waves, or a wake, represents energy put into
propulsion which is inefficiently employed, causing a disturbance in
the water instead of increasing the boat speed. In normal hull
shapes, the full weight of water displaced by the hull must be moved
out of the way of the boat, and then it must return to the space
evacuated by the passage of the boat. That water will be disturbed,
containing eddies of water, the energy required for the formation of
waves and eddies being lost to the purpose at hand, propulsion.

I once envisioned a submarine built like a stove pipe, with a
venturi and prop inside a narrowing of the central tube. It should
produce no wake. Any such boat would never need to climb a wave, it
would rather always be going downhill, into the space where the
water was vacuumed out.

In such a sub, I also envisioned a ducted rim-driven propellor with
no hub. I wonder if there could be some advantage to this?

Terry K

Roger Long April 13th 05 11:18 AM

The essential fact to understand about hull speed is that there is an
exact relationship between the length of a wave and how fast it moves
through the water. If you time the crests as they go by a fixed point
like a buoy, you can calculate the exact distance between the crests.
Longer waves move faster.

The hull makes wave as it disturbs the water. At low speeds, there is
room for several crests and troughs along the hull. You can see by the
large wave system even a small pebble sets up that it doesn't take a
lot of energy to create a wave train. Hull resistance at low speeds is
primarily skin friction.

As speed increases, the waves the boat makes must become longer in
order to maintain the speed / length relationship. Eventually there is
room for just one wave at the bow and one quarter wave at the stern.
When the speed length ratio is 1.0, there will be a crest at the bow
and another at the stern. The boat will be sitting fairly
symmetrically without trimming down by the stern and the wave
rebounding up under the stern will actually be pushing the vessel
ahead recovering some, but far from all, of the energy required to
produce the wave train. Vessels can thus get up to this speed with
fairly modest power.

To go faster however, the crest of the wave at the stern has to start
moving behind the boat. Two things happen. First, wave behind the hull
can not return energy to it. This pushes power requirements up.
Second, the hull now starts to squat by the stern which is moving into
the trough. The bow wave always remains about in the same place so the
boat has to start climbing up a hill that it is also making. The graph
of power required starts to go straight up as the stern wave moves aft
of the transom.

The basic relationship is that it takes four times as much power to go
twice as fast. If you graph this out, you'll see that hull speed is
not a precise point but is a fairly narrow band. You quickly reach a
point where doubling the size of the engine only gains you a quarter
knot.

If the boat is shaped so that water flow over the bottom creates
dynamic lift instead of suction, the hull will start to lift up. With
sufficient power, the vessel can be pushed up the hill of the bow wave
on to the top where it can again ride level. It will still be
producing a wave train but all the crests will be well behind it. A
deep hull like a sailboat or a tug boat won't do this. The suction of
steep flow lines in the stern will pull the stern down. Some hulls
will actually pull themselves below the surface if enough power is
applied. The waves created by hull will keep the water off the deck
but, if something suddenly stops the hull, it can be swamped by its
own wake.

--

Roger Long

Does it apply to non-rigid hulls (hulls that might flex in the
middle)

Very complex question. Can't be answered in general.

Does it apply to totally submerged objects?

No.

Does it apply to towed objects, like dinghies?

Yes.

What happens when an object exceeds hull speed?

See above.

Is there any way to "fool the water" into acting as if the boat is
longer than it is?

If anybody has figured out how to fool the universe yet, I'd like to
hear about it.

[email protected] April 13th 05 04:19 PM

Roger:

Thank you for a very lucid explanation.
From this, is it correct to think that "hull Speed" is not some sort of

value at which mathematics goes crazy and produces singularities but
simply represents a speed range in which necesary power to produce a
speed increase seriously increases?
Is Hull Speed defined in some way relating to the slope of the power vs
speed curve?

Now, for the bizarre theory question. Consider a small boat that has a
very long rigid extension on its stern that does not touch the water
except far from the boat where it has a rigid float. Would this have a
higher hull speed than the small boat alone?
Could you arrange for this float at the end to gain back energy from
the trough behind it?
Could you arrange floats on this rigid extension at certain places to
extract energy from the shorter period waves the boat produces?

David

[email protected] April 13th 05 04:23 PM

Can we alter the properties of the water surface to change hull speeed.
What I have in mind is like spreading oil on water where oil is spread
from the bow. I assume that what this does is to decrease the
amplitude of the shorter period waves. Even if it didnt increaqse hull
speed, would it reduce the energy going into the shorter period waves?

Roger Long April 13th 05 04:37 PM

The float would have a hull speed limitation based on it's length. If
it was shorter than the main hull, it would be a big drag.

--

Roger Long

wrote in message
oups.com...
Roger:

Thank you for a very lucid explanation.
From this, is it correct to think that "hull Speed" is not some sort
of

Roger Long April 13th 05 04:37 PM

No.

--

Roger Long

oups.com...

[email protected] April 13th 05 09:01 PM

Roger, you sure know how to kill my fun, but thanks

Jeff April 13th 05 11:33 PM

However, there are games played with multihulls so that the waves from
one hull cancel the wave from the other. For one thing, this must be
considered to understand how the chop will slap on the underside.

However, advanced work has been done on more complex configurations of
three or four hulls with an eye towards high speed and efficiency. I
don't think this has led to any recreational sailboat designs.

Rolf April 14th 05 04:55 AM

I own a Newport 33 which has a waterline length of 27 ft. According to
the formula, the theoretical speed for the boat is 6.96 knots.
I have a 16 HP diesel with a 2 bladed impeller, and a maximum engine
RPM of 3300 RPM. Running the engine at 2700 RPM I can readily reach 6.5
knots.
In a good wind I can go to 7 knots. The maximum speed I have ever done
was 11 knots on the GPS surfing down a wave with full sails up on a
very broad reach in about 30 knot wind. Many other boats of the same
design ( relatively light displacemnt, fin keel and spade rudder)
report he same thing.
Racing boats in the around-the world alone race routinely exceeded hull
speed for long periods surfing down waves. The hull speed for a 60 ft
boat is 10.4 knots andthey were achieving more than 20 knots I seem to
remember. So that is the way to go faster than hull speed, find a wave
and then surf down.
Catamarans also go faster than hull speed all the time. So if you put
enough power into the boat in relation to the displacement and wetted
surface, you can exceed the Hull speed.

I think that traditional full keel boat with a high displacement would
have a lot of trouble getting close to Hull speed.
Rolf

Stephen Trapani April 14th 05 06:30 AM

Rolf wrote:

[...]

Hull speed is the absolute maximum that boat can travel through water.
All your examples have the water moving forward also so the boat is not
exceeding hull speed through the water.

Stephen

Roger Long April 14th 05 10:38 AM

Actually, the water does not move forward in a wave but you are right
that the surfing examples are irrelevant examples since the waves are
pushing the boat forward in other ways.

The speed length ratio of the Newport 33 at 7 knots would be 1.35,
just a hair above the generally accepted displacement hull maximum of
1.33. If the hull has an easy run, the counter becomes part of the
waterline length as the stern waves rise up under it. Adding a foot
brings the ratio down to 1.32, exactly what you would expect for an
easy hull like that one.

--

Roger Long

rhys April 14th 05 05:16 PM

On 13 Apr 2005 20:55:30 -0700, "Rolf" wrote:

I own a Newport 33 which has a waterline length of 27 ft. According to
the formula, the theoretical speed for the boat is 6.96 knots.
I have a 16 HP diesel with a 2 bladed impeller, and a maximum engine
RPM of 3300 RPM. Running the engine at 2700 RPM I can readily reach 6.5
knots.

I have a Viking 33 with same waterline. My direct-drive Atomic 4 with
a two-blade can drive the boat at 5.8 knots in flat water at
half-throttle, but it's too damn noisy to get it to 6.4...that final
half-knot is simply not worth the gas or the noise, as the A4 is
quieter than a diesel at anything but full out.

In a good wind I can go to 7 knots. The maximum speed I have ever done
was 11 knots on the GPS surfing down a wave with full sails up on a
very broad reach in about 30 knot wind. Many other boats of the same
design ( relatively light displacemnt, fin keel and spade rudder)
report he same thing.

Your results match mine. I can hit 7.1 or 7.2 knots SOG sustained in
25 knots on the right point of sail, but she'll "surf" to 10+ briefly
on a run.

snip

I think that traditional full keel boat with a high displacement would
have a lot of trouble getting close to Hull speed.

Not necessarily, but generally, that's correct. Full keelers can surf
on a run as well, but they frequently can't helm quickly enough to
maintain the right angle. On the other hand, in a three-day blow, I'd
much prefer to heave to in a full keeler.

Personal preference, location and experience play a huge role in
getting the most out of your boat. In a full keeler, you may never go
as fast as theory, but you may sail longer because the motion is less
whippy and exhausting. Personally, I like cutaway forefoot, skeg hung,
semi-full keelers. Best of all worlds if designed right. I even like
the still rare idea of canted fixed dual bilge keels with extendable
centerboards, but it's not common (yet).

R.

Roger Long April 14th 05 05:39 PM

Personally, I like cutaway forefoot, skeg hung, semi-full keelers.
Best of all worlds if designed right.

This boat designer agrees with you which is exactly why we bought the
Endeavour 32.

--

Roger Long

rhys April 16th 05 02:41 AM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:39:41 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Personally, I like cutaway forefoot, skeg hung, semi-full keelers.
Best of all worlds if designed right.

This boat designer agrees with you which is exactly why we bought the
Endeavour 32.

OK, Mr. Designer...I am glad I am on the right track...I seem to be a
lone voice in the wilderness advocating a number of older Ted
Brewer/Bob Wallstrom/Robert Perry designs G.

On the used boat market, what models would you recommend "like this"
but in the 38-45 foot range? I also favour steel if well constructed
and coated originally, which is admittedly a big "if".

Your opinion would be most appreciated.

R.

Roger Long April 16th 05 10:32 AM

I haven't followed yachts closely enough in the past couple of decades
to comment on individual designs. However,

I can't remember ever seeing anything by Bob Perry that I didn't like.
Brewer/Wallstrom have designed some nice boats but I know I had the
"Why did they do that?" reaction much more often back when I looked at
every yacht design I came across.

Most of my career has been spent on metal vessels. If I were going
around the world, I'd want to go in a steel or aluminum boat. I'd
favor aluminum because of a more reliable compass and because you can
patch it with a hand drill and sheet metal screws. Aluminum tends to
bend flat and intact where steel fractures even though it is stronger
in the stiffness sense.

I once saw an aluminum yacht that went ashore on Nomans Land Island.
The keel was torn off and one side was pounded in about five feet for
three quarters of the length of the vessel. There were only about
three six inch cracks that would have let water in. If she had been
worth saving, she could have been made watertight and floated off with
a roll of duct tape. A steel boat would have been in pieces all over
the beach.

The key thing I would look for is a full length skeg along the leading
edge of the rudder all the way to the bottom. The directional
stability comes from that fixed foil. Turning the rudder makes it a
lifting surface in the direction you want to move the stern. A lot of
the turning force then is created by something fixed to the hull
instead of on a hinge where you have to resist it with your hands.

The typical semi skeg with a bit of balance forward (as on the
Endeavors) is a silly arrangement usually. There isn't enough balance
on 90% of the rudders you see to effect the helm forces, the
directional stability is reduced, and a line catcher created. The
only rational for this kind of rudder is to look techie like an
airplane.

Our boat had glass added to the forward part of the rudder to increase
the balance to an amount that will actually do something. 15 to 20
percent should be ahead of the hinge line. Some winter, before that
trip around Newfoundland and up to Labrador, I'd like to cut it back
and extend the skeg all the way down though. It's an easy conversion
on most boats.

For directional stability, you want lots of leading edge back there.
I think my beef with a lot of Brewer/Wallstrom boats was that the
cutout ahead of the rudder is often kind of a token so that there is
very little leading edge.

--

Roger Long

Roger Long April 16th 05 10:56 AM

Here is a picture of how the rudder was enlarged on our boat with the
original line shown:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Rudder.jpg

The balance is still pretty minimal but you can see that there was
effectively none before.

The way I would modify it is shown in red.

--

Roger Long

Jere Lull April 16th 05 11:22 PM

In article ,
Stephen Trapani wrote:

Hull speed is the absolute maximum that boat can travel through water.
All your examples have the water moving forward also so the boat is not
exceeding hull speed through the water.

I thought I mentioned this before. Hope I'm not repeating myself.

Hull speed is a suggestion for our boat, not the law. Though our
theoretical hull speed is 6.65 knots, we regularly exceed that with
aplomb, close hauled, close reach, broad reach, whatever point of sail.
Spent a wonderful afternoon with 6 other sailors last season. As long as
I was on the tiller, pushing her to where she likes to be, we were well
above the theoretical hull speed. As we pinched to get back into the
harbor, she insisted on doing over 7 knots directly into the wind (okay,
about 15 degrees off). That last was our lovely lady showing off, of
course, as what we did was clearly impossible.

1.34 was derived from observing boats about a century ago. Depending on
the hull, that constant can be quite a bit different. As I recall, some
multi-hull boats' K is in the 2 or 3 range. Xan's fat ass and sharp
transom keeps her driving towards a 1.7 or so constant.

--
Jere Lull

rhys April 18th 05 04:36 AM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:32:25 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Comments below.

Most of my career has been spent on metal vessels. If I were going
around the world, I'd want to go in a steel or aluminum boat. I'd
favor aluminum because of a more reliable compass and because you can
patch it with a hand drill and sheet metal screws. Aluminum tends to
bend flat and intact where steel fractures even though it is stronger
in the stiffness sense.

Interesting. I work with aluminum on the mast and I've fabbed up 1/4
in. backing plates for most of the deck gear, so I know simple hand
tools will suffice, but usually the knock AGAINST aluminum is that it
requires special welding gear and skills. I didn't think of it in
terms of making a through bolted patch and running a bead of sealant
around...but why not as a "get you home" metallic fothering?

I once saw an aluminum yacht that went ashore on Nomans Land Island.
The keel was torn off and one side was pounded in about five feet for
three quarters of the length of the vessel. There were only about
three six inch cracks that would have let water in. If she had been
worth saving, she could have been made watertight and floated off with
a roll of duct tape. A steel boat would have been in pieces all over
the beach.

I would think it would be worth saving for the aluminum alone...isn't
"marine" aluminum a fairly expensive alloy?

The key thing I would look for is a full length skeg along the leading
edge of the rudder all the way to the bottom. The directional
stability comes from that fixed foil. Turning the rudder makes it a
lifting surface in the direction you want to move the stern. A lot of
the turning force then is created by something fixed to the hull
instead of on a hinge where you have to resist it with your hands.

I'm a big fan of skegs for safety and directional reasons. If you
ground by the stern with a spade rudder, usually it's game over. A
skeg can help...maybe...to save it.

The typical semi skeg with a bit of balance forward (as on the
Endeavors) is a silly arrangement usually. There isn't enough balance
on 90% of the rudders you see to effect the helm forces, the
directional stability is reduced, and a line catcher created. The
only rational for this kind of rudder is to look techie like an
airplane.

So you're no fan of the "Brewer Bite"?

snip
For directional stability, you want lots of leading edge back there.
I think my beef with a lot of Brewer/Wallstrom boats was that the
cutout ahead of the rudder is often kind of a token so that there is
very little leading edge.

I am not sure of the logic either, except that it makes otherwise
traditional boats more "modern" looking on the undersides.

R.

rhys April 18th 05 04:36 AM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:56:17 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Here is a picture of how the rudder was enlarged on our boat with the
original line shown:

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Rudder.jpg

The balance is still pretty minimal but you can see that there was
effectively none before.

The way I would modify it is shown in red.

Good picture! Thanks for your thoughts.

R.

Roger Long April 18th 05 10:59 AM

I'm a big fan of skegs for safety and directional reasons. If you
ground by the stern with a spade rudder, usually it's game over. A
skeg can help...maybe...to save it.

Just to clarify: That is a fixed skeg shown on my proposed
modification.

On spade rudders: On power boats, I favor spade rudders. If the
rudder has good clearance from the hull at the top, it will often
remain functional after a grounding. The shaft may bend and the boat
steer funny but it will still be steerable. With a bottom bearing, a
little bit of bending will usually bind the whole thing up so if is
useless. In a glass boat, it will be hard to make the skeg stiff
enough to support the rudder. The whole thing can flex enough that
the shaft will bend and the skeg will then bind the rudder. Even in
metal, the sailboat type skeg will be hard to make sufficiently stiff.

It doesn't take a lot of extra metal to make a rudder stock strong to
be self supporting. If I were designing a boat that was not a weight
critical racer, I would make the stock large enough to be a spade
rudder. The skeg would then be structurally separate with just a line
guard at the bottom. Grounding damage, which usually will bend the
stock aft, would then leave the boat steerable in most cases.

--

Roger Long

DSK April 18th 05 03:53 PM

Stephen Trapani wrote:
Hull speed is the absolute maximum that boat can travel through water.

Not really. "Hull Speed" is sort of a convenient shorthand for
indicating where the graph of a vessel's speed vs power begins to get
inconveniently steep.

All your examples have the water moving forward also so the boat is not
exceeding hull speed through the water.

Even catamarans? How about planing types?

DSK

DSK April 18th 05 03:59 PM

wrote:
One of these days I'd like to look into the derivation of hull speed.

Check out the work of William Froude.

Can you suggest a very basic explanation (a source thereof). I'm just
curious as to when it applies. Like:

Does it apply to non-rigid hulls (hulls that might flex in the middle)
Does it apply to totally submerged objects?
Does it apply to towed objects, like dinghies?

Yes, yes, & yes.
Usually making hulls non-rigid makes them slower for given power. There
are some interesting studies of marine mammals that can swim faster than
science suggests they should, and apparently they can change their shape
to promote laminar flow and possibly reduce wave pressure areas.

For totally submerged objects, the rules are a bit different and they
don't have the same limits as displacement-supported objects on the surface.

What happens when an object exceeds hull speed?

That depends a lot of the hull & the conditions. Some "objects" will
plane, ie will transition from being supported by displacement to being
supported by the dynamic lift of water flowing under the hull. In other
cases, the cross section density is high enough that wave resistance is
less (ie very narrow hulls).

Is there any way to "fool the water" into acting as if the boat is
longer than it is?

Sure, that's what bow bulbs are all about.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jere Lull April 20th 05 06:25 AM

In article ,
DSK wrote:

Usually making hulls non-rigid makes them slower for given power.

One notable exception: a PortaBote, but that's not practical for most
hulls. The hull deforms unbelievably, which is disconcerting.

But, in general, it's true.

--
Jere Lull

Rodney Myrvaagnes April 21st 05 03:46 AM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 05:25:11 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

In article ,
DSK wrote:

Usually making hulls non-rigid makes them slower for given power.

One notable exception: a PortaBote, but that's not practical for most
hulls. The hull deforms unbelievably, which is disconcerting.

It is hard for me to believe that is an exceoption.

It would be notable if so. Indeed, it would be a miracle.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."

Jere Lull April 21st 05 06:40 AM

DSK wrote:

Usually making hulls non-rigid makes them slower for given power.

One notable exception: a PortaBote, but that's not practical for most
hulls. The hull deforms unbelievably, which is disconcerting.

It is hard for me to believe that is an exceoption.

It would be notable if so. Indeed, it would be a miracle.

Obviously, you haven't run around on a PortaBote. 4 HP gives a solid 10+
knots speed with lots of load.

When the boat goes on plane, the "floor" under the helmsman's feet drops
a bunch of inches. Unlike a solid hull, the PortaBote expands into areas
of low pressure to limit the drag (suction).

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Religious wisdom is to wisdom as military music is to music."

I *LIKE* military music, aka Marches.

--
Jere Lull

Rodney Myrvaagnes April 22nd 05 04:52 AM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:40:38 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

DSK wrote:

Usually making hulls non-rigid makes them slower for given power.

One notable exception: a PortaBote, but that's not practical for most
hulls. The hull deforms unbelievably, which is disconcerting.

It is hard for me to believe that is an exceoption.

It would be notable if so. Indeed, it would be a miracle.

Obviously, you haven't run around on a PortaBote. 4 HP gives a solid 10+
knots speed with lots of load.

When the boat goes on plane, the "floor" under the helmsman's feet drops
a bunch of inches. Unlike a solid hull, the PortaBote expands into areas
of low pressure to limit the drag (suction).

If you say so. The age of miracles is not past.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Curse thee, thou quadrant. No longer will I guide my earthly way by thee." Capt. Ahab

Albert P. Belle Isle April 24th 05 03:38 PM

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:22:00 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

In article ,
Stephen Trapani wrote:

[...]

It sounds like your speed-length parameter is higher than 1.34 - a
testimonial to your hull designer.

The 1.34 comes from the fact that speed-squared of a wave = g/2*pi
times wavelength.

If your hull's stern really places the stern wave a distance back from
the bow wave equal to your design waterline length, then 1.34 is
pretty accurate as the point where the curve of additional HP to yield
additional speed for a displacement hull becomes almost vertical.

However, with sweet butock lines, stern reflexes and other
sophistications of hull design, the stern wave can actually be moved a
bit aft of your transom. The wavelength thus becomes greater than your
DWL.

Since speed-squared is proportional to wavelength, and since your boat
speed and the wave speed must match, you get a speed-length parameter
that's higher than 1.34 as the effective multiplier times the square
root of your DWL (since DWL is now less than the wavelength).

At least that's my simplified understanding of a very complex subject.

Al
s/v Persephone
Newburyport, MA

Jere Lull April 25th 05 05:06 AM

Stephen Trapani wrote:

[...]

Full agreement.

The 1.34 comes from the fact that speed-squared of a wave = g/2*pi
times wavelength.

Yes, I agree with the derivation of the formula -- as long as we include
that wavelengths can differ. Swells have wavelengths 100s of feet and
periods many seconds from crest to crest, while wind-driven waves have
quite a bit shorter wavelengths and periods. And wind-driven waves have
different periods and wavelengths.

If your hull's stern really places the stern wave a distance back from
the bow wave equal to your design waterline length, then 1.34 is
pretty accurate as the point where the curve of additional HP to yield
additional speed for a displacement hull becomes almost vertical.

However, with sweet butock lines, stern reflexes and other
sophistications of hull design, the stern wave can actually be moved a
bit aft of your transom. The wavelength thus becomes greater than your
DWL.

Our resting WL is 24'. To maintain a 1.34 constant and get the speeds
we've verified while definitely not surfing, our effective waterline
would have to be greater than 35'. That's a LONG way behind our transom!

Since speed-squared is proportional to wavelength, and since your boat
speed and the wave speed must match, you get a speed-length parameter
that's higher than 1.34 as the effective multiplier times the square
root of your DWL (since DWL is now less than the wavelength).

It feels like you left a bit out and mixed a couple of things here.
Again, I agree that it probably has something to do with the wave speed,
which has a certain value when the constant is 1.34. Change the wave's
speed and you change the constant, and wave length.

At least that's my simplified understanding of a very complex subject.

Al
s/v Persephone

After having chased several NA's explanations for a few years, I finally
gave up trying to explain and simply accept that it's more complex than
1.34, since other hull shapes have much higher observed constants.

--
Jere Lull

Albert P. Belle Isle April 25th 05 09:16 PM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 04:06:45 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

Stephen Trapani wrote:

[...]

The physics says that extra-long-wavelength swells just propagate more
slowly. The c-squared = lambda*g/2pi is pretty fundamental for surface
waves (as opposed to deep pressure waves, like tsunamis).

There's a passage in John Craven's "The Silent War" where he gleefully
chants the formula from the sail of a nuclear submarine as he watches
her bow and stern waves demonstrate the validity of something he had
drilled into his head in grad school. Maybe you have to be a geek to
appreciate it g.

However, the oversimplified nature of my "push-the-stern-wave-aft"
explanation is, of course, quite true. IANA.

If you haven't already read it, Jere, van Dorn's "Oceanography and
Seamanship" has a pretty good discussion of the speed-power curves for
planing, semiplaning and displacement hulls - as well as, among other
things, a nifty nomograph for predicting sea-state from duration or
fetch of sustained winds.

Good sailing.

Al
s/v Persephone

Albert P. Belle Isle April 25th 05 09:40 PM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:16:09 GMT, Albert P. Belle Isle
wrote:

Our resting WL is 24'. To maintain a 1.34 constant and get the speeds
we've verified while definitely not surfing, our effective waterline
would have to be greater than 35'. That's a LONG way behind our transom!

Jere -

As a quick calculation, 24ft DWL would yield a hull speed of about
6.6kt with a speed-length coefficient of 1.34. To get to 7kt, the
effective DWL at 1.34 would be a little over 27ft - not 35ft.

My previous boat had a DWL of 28ft, for which a speed-length
coefficient of 1.34 would predict 7.1kt.

I easily got 7.4kt on beam reaches, which would say my real
coefficient was almost 1.4 (or that my effective DWL at 1.34 was a
little over 30ft - a two foot "push-back" of the sten wave, which was
roughly how the peak of the stern wave looked from my cockpit.

Regards,
Al

Rodney Myrvaagnes April 25th 05 10:23 PM

Stephen Trapani wrote:

[...]

It isn't a different constant. It is just that many boats nowadays are
light enough so they aren't limited to the length of the wave they
make.

If you observe a tug traveling without a tow, you will see very easily
what wave we are talking about.

Matteo April 26th 05 09:52 AM

Hi All,

i post this update after changes to the trimming of the boat.

I said the boat is poorly trimmed and seem to "sit" too much with the
stern in the water.

So i put around 3/4 of tons of water (750 liters) in the anchor room
(the small cabin in the bow which contains the chain - is quite large
and sealed).

This had the effect to sink the bow around 8 inches and lift the stern
around 3 inches. The boat is still NOT level but at least is getting
closer.

Now the effect on travelling speed:

I could reach 5.5 knots at 900 rpm instead of 1100 rpm ! And my fuel
consumption went down 40% at once (for the same speed). The benefits
would be less and less trying to drive the boat faster and faster -
basically the speed improvement at full throttle would be
insignificant. Also waves were greatly reduced at 5.5 knots (almost
reduced ripples).

My theory: with the bow "lifted" too much the physical boat lenght
starts quite some distance from the actual entry point in the water.
Adding weight at the bow would push it down and effectively lenghten
the WL.

Now i have a long-range tank in the bow (1.5 ton) which is empty now
(i normally use other two tanks, in the middle of the boat, each 1/2
ton). Next week i will bunker diesel and fill ALL the 3 tanks to the
top - this should push down the boat another bit and eventually set it
level - then make new trials.

I also looked for green slime and the like on the hull - not much
there.

I will post the results in another 2 weeks or so.

Matteo

Jere Lull May 1st 05 08:38 PM

In article ,
(Matteo) wrote:

i post this update after changes to the trimming of the boat.

I said the boat is poorly trimmed and seem to "sit" too much with the
stern in the water.

So i put around 3/4 of tons of water (750 liters) in the anchor room
(the small cabin in the bow which contains the chain - is quite large
and sealed).

This had the effect to sink the bow around 8 inches and lift the
stern around 3 inches. The boat is still NOT level but at least is
getting closer.

Now the effect on travelling speed:

I could reach 5.5 knots at 900 rpm instead of 1100 rpm ! And my fuel
consumption went down 40% at once (for the same speed).

That's a significant difference! Sounds like you need to make some light
stuff in the bow area trade places with heavy stuff in the stern, even
if I interpreted correctly that you can add fuel forward. There are
other things I can say, but I don't even know if you're cruising or
day-tripping.

Something else to look at is the prop. Friends of ours have had their
Marine Trader for many years and maxxed out at the same speed all those
years. In preparation for their first Bahamas trip, they re-propped.
They gained a couple of knots of top end, cruise at a lower RPM and
better economy, but higher speed than they used to. Nothing else was
changed.

At a minimum, send the blade off for a balancing when you get a chance,
as a simple mis-alignment of blades can make a big difference. We did
that for a two blade prop with only 100 hours on it and got a noticable
improvement. The two blades were pitched a full inch differently. Who
knows what an old, heavily used prop looks like?

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

Jere Lull May 3rd 05 03:55 AM

In article ,
Albert P. Belle Isle wrote:

As a quick calculation, 24ft DWL would yield a hull speed of about
6.6kt with a speed-length coefficient of 1.34. To get to 7kt, the
effective DWL at 1.34 would be a little over 27ft - not 35ft.

We've sustained much higher speeds, but don't feel like opening myself
up for someone saying that it's impossible, that I'm surfing, my
knotmeter's off, there's a current, or some such.

I would agree except that I eliminated all those things. We really have
done "impossible" things. Would love to know how, but gave up and simply
enjoy.

--
Jere Lull