Roger Long

Default Question for Peggie

Peggie,

I see some rather pricey system for pumping air into holding tanks to
aerate them. I'd like to try rigging up my own. How much air does it
take? Is there a critical amount below which nothing useful happens
or does any air help?

I'd like to avoid the 12 volt drain. Since we are in an area where
there will usually be wake motion, I have an idea for boat motion
powered pump.

--

Roger Long

Peggie Hall

Roger Long wrote:
Peggie,

I see some rather pricey system for pumping air into holding tanks to
aerate them. I'd like to try rigging up my own. How much air does it
take? Is there a critical amount below which nothing useful happens
or does any air help?

The Groco Sweetank pump moves 1.7 liters of air/minute, which is about
the minimum that'll work. Two things are important: a sufficient amount
of air to aerate the contents, and piping to distribute it throughout
the tank. Otherwise it'll only push foul gasses out the vent all the
time instead of only when the head is flushed.

You can see the compete manual for the Sweetank he
http://www.groco.net/parts/data/622.pdf

I'd like to avoid the 12 volt drain. Since we are in an area where
there will usually be wake motion, I have an idea for boat motion
powered pump.

I don't think it would produce enough air. The Sweetank requires only 3
watts of 12v power...not much of a battery drain. If even that's too
much for your current 12 resources, a relative small solar panel would
replace the drain on your battery.

It's price of $150-200 seems expensive...but the purchase price is
offset by what you're spending for tank products now, 'cuz a properly
aerated tank requires nothing else. So depending on how much you're
spending for tank products, the Sweetank can pay for itself in just a
few years.

--
Peggie
----------

Peggie Hall

Dave wrote:

Over the weekend I noticed that the access port cover for my holding tank
seems to have a small leak between the tank and the screw-on (or in) cover.
Seems to be a chronic problem, since I had the tank pulled a year ago
(another story) and some new fittings installed, and at that time I saw that
the PO had tried to seal the port cover by putting some silicon-like
material around the sides of the cover. What's the most effective way to
make a good non-leaking seal for that fitting?

Rubber gasket...or, if the cap is round, rubber o-ring, which you can
find if you google Beckson (they make inspection port retrofit kits).
Call 'em and give 'em the size. O-rings should be replaced about every
5 years or so.
--
Peggie
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327