Iain

Default UK Citizen Trying to Book a Cruise in US Dollars

Can Anyone Help?

I want to book a cruise in US Dollars but because I'm a non US
citizen, all of the standard cruise lines etc are asking for £
Sterling. US citizens seem to pay the same number of dollars as we
pay in pounds sterling e.g. $1200 dollars in the US and £1200 in
sterling.

Anyway, does anyone know of a reliable web site to book in US dollars?

Thankyou in advance.
Howard Peer

I run back and forth to Canada and Germany quite a bit and never seem to
have this kind of problem. The exchange rate is almost 2:1 so you are
saying that you would be paying twice as much as an American citizen.
Something is very, very wrong. I belive that either you are mistaken or
that someone is telling you the wrong thing.

Less than two hours ago I transfered a large sum from the US to a
Canadian account and the exchange rate (after hagling) was within 2% of
what I found on www.xe.com. No one ever asked my citizenship, on either
end of the transation.

In the past my wife has tranfered sums to and from Germany, her
homeland, with no issue.

My suggestion is that you simply pay with a credit card. The bank will
do the conversion at near market rate and all should be well. I belive
that many travel groups suggest using automated tellers to get foreign
cash to assure a fare exchange rate. It seems to work for me.

All that being said, there could be some queer kink in the curise
industry or in what you are trying to do that is messing up the works.
Several years ago, if memeory serves, I found the round trip air fare to
Germany significantly different depending upon your home terminal. That
is to say on a given day it may cost significanly more to fly
Germany-US-Germany than US-Germany-US. My experience is that you can
not take advantage of the system by buying in the cheap country.

If you want to test out my credit card theory just go buy a book from
Amazon using your card and see what happens to your account balance.

No guarantees as this is all just my uninfomed opinion and meager worldy
experience. Good luck.

Howard