Garland Gray II

It's not that dark. Enough light leaks in.
"marley" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:

You don't have much experience with marine freshwater systems. I made
the mistake of replumbing part of my system with clear hose. Been a pain
ever since. Redoing it is on my todo list.

Doug

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message

Please don't tell me you all are drinking water contaminated with algae

so
bad you have to keep it in the dark to prevent the algae ALREADY IN THE
WATER from growing in your water system......yecch!

Unless the water is ALREADY contaminated, IT WON'T GROW ALGAE!

and your families are DRINKING this crap without boiling it first?!!

This thread needs input from Peggie I think.

To be candid I am not clear as to why clear hose would pose a problem.
First off, there is (hopefully) no algae in the tank, although
admittedly it might be added from dock water by accident.

But if the algae requires light to grow as you say, and opaque plumbing
corrects the problem I am still unclear. My plumbing (ALL of it) is
either running through blige, behind cabinets, or under the cabin sole.
It's dark everywhere the hose passes. So what do I gain with opaque
plumbing?

Please explain.

Garland Gray II

I suspect enough light leaks in.
I've not yet found opaque drinking water tubing (hose) by the foot, so I
will probably just cover clear w/ electrical tape.

"Dave" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 08:15:58 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom said:

You don't have much experience with marine freshwater systems. I made
the mistake of replumbing part of my system with clear hose. Been a pain
ever since.

On my boat the fw tubing goes through covered lockers. I should think

light
shouldn't be a problem, no?

Doug Dotson

As I recall, the problem was the outgassing of nasties that are bad for
us peoples.

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Alll of my plumbing consists of Whale system except for short lengths of
(flexible) tubing either side of the pump. It's those short lengths that I
want to (will) replace. Flexibility is needed to be able to disconnect the
pump.
I didn't realise that polybute had been used in boats. My understanding is
that while there were problems w/ some versions (not all) of the fittings,
there was little problem w/ the pipe itself. Maybe some of the early stuff
could be damaged by acidic water.

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
I don't have a 2005 West Marine catalog, but I do have the 2005 Port
Supply catalog. I'm pretty sure they are the same. The opaque tubing
is available as either "Sea Tech " or the "Whale Water System", both on
page 542. My boat was plumbed with the old gray Polybutyl tubing which
is now illegal. I'm looking to replace it. You might also check out the
AquaPex system but you need a $$ tool to use it.

Doug

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
I looked and have now looked again at the West catalog, with no success.
The
West store told me they sold only the clear hose, some w/ braid.
They do have Shields multi-purpose hose, but is much too stiff. Also
Whale,
but that is not very flexible.

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
Most marine suppliers carry opaque hose specifically for domestic
water systems. Check out your West Marine catalog.

Doug

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Seems all of the tubing sold by marine outlets for freshwater lines

is
transparent, but this allows algae to thrive.
Is there a source for food grade tubing that is opaque (actually I
found
some Tygon, but wouldn't take the pressure)?
It would be such a waste to wack two feet off a 50 ft length of

marine
water hose....