BoatBanter.com

-   -   Lectra/San pros and cons (https://www.boatbanter.com/cruising/32444-lectra-san-pros-cons.html)

Cam April 5th 05 05:51 AM

Lectra/San pros and cons

I looked at a boat recently that had a Lectra/San head and I am
wondering about the pros and cons it. My rudimentary investigation has
found that it requires quite a bit of power for each flush and would
still require a holding tank for certain situations. I would prefer a
boat with simple system allowing me to reduce the size/number/cost of
batteries and am wondering if it is worth it. I'm sure the seller
thinks it adds value to the boat but I don't think I want it (nor do I
want to pay for it). What are the major advantages of it?

Thanks in advance.

Peggie Hall April 5th 05 06:15 AM

Cam wrote:
I looked at a boat recently that had a Lectra/San head...

The Lectra/San is not a head (toilet)...it's a separate device into
which the toilet--any toilet--flushes where waste is treated and
discharged overboard legally.

...and I am
wondering about the pros and cons it. My rudimentary investigation has
found that it requires quite a bit of power for each flush...

It's consumption of 1.7 AH/flush looks a bit scary, but in fact,
translates to only 17 AH/day for a cruising couple--less than that if
you use the lee rail when possible--well within the resources of any
boat that isn't underpowered.

...and would
still require a holding tank for certain situations.

But a much smaller tank than you need for full time use...one that you'd
only use if/when you visit a "no discharge" harbor, which are VERY few
and far between except in New England, the FL Keys and SoCal. Where are
you? Where do you plan to cruise

What are the major advantages of it?

Can be used with any toilet...requires no chemicals, requires no
maintenance except for an occasional cleaning (which doesn't even
require taking it apart, just a solution of muriatic acid down the
toilet according to directions)...none of the maintenance problems
associated with holding tanks to prevent odor, deal with sludge, keeping
the vent clear, etc. no need to deal with finding pumpout facilities or
getting 3 miles offshore. Just flush and forget it. Highly reliable and
durable...it's been on the market 30 years, some of the original units
are still in service.

All the info and specs are he
http://www.raritaneng.com/products/w...lectrasan.html

I'll be glad to answer any questions after you've read it all.

--
Peggie
----------

Cam April 5th 05 12:42 PM

Thanks Peggie,
Based on that information it looks like a handy unit to have. Anything
specific I need to look for while inspecting it? Actually, how would I
inspect it? Since the boat batteries are probably dead is there any
manual inspection for it. It doesn't appear that the previous owner has
cared for the boat to well including, probably, this unit.

How is company support? I'm assuming that this specific unit is out of
warranty. Thinking of that are there specific models that need to be
looked for/avoided? How would I identify those?

Thanks again.

Gogarty April 5th 05 12:48 PM

In article et,
says...

I looked at a boat recently that had a Lectra/San head and I am
wondering about the pros and cons it. My rudimentary investigation has
found that it requires quite a bit of power for each flush and would
still require a holding tank for certain situations. I would prefer a
boat with simple system allowing me to reduce the size/number/cost of
batteries and am wondering if it is worth it. I'm sure the seller
thinks it adds value to the boat but I don't think I want it (nor do I
want to pay for it). What are the major advantages of it?

The Lecteasan is a good gadget, though the proliferation of no discharge
zones into the open sea increasingly threatens it. When it is operating
properly the sewage is treated to almost sterile levels and causes no harm
whatever to the environment. When flushed, it runs for two minutes and
draws 50 amps or so. Over a day. as Peggy points out, this is negligible.
The freedom from carrying around twenty or thirty gallons of raw sewage,
which will stink, is considerable, not to mention freedom from looking for
pump out stations.

We have two heads. A previous owner on the Chesapeake ripped out both
holding tanks and installed the Lectrasan on one and nothing on the other.
Clearly illegal. We installed a tiny five-gallon holding tank on one head.
This tank is custom fitted to the outside of the toilet which it
surrounds. It can be plumbed like any holding tank with all the valves and
pumps or it can be used as a carry ashore container. In any case, we were
boarded and inspected by the Coast Guard and the arrangement passed
muster. We have a certificate telling us so.

Keep the Lectrasan and get a bucket for no discharge areas.

DSK April 5th 05 01:09 PM

Gogarty wrote:
The Lecteasan is a good gadget, though the proliferation of no discharge
zones into the open sea increasingly threatens it. When it is operating
properly the sewage is treated to almost sterile levels and causes no harm
whatever to the environment.

That's not entirely true.

The Lectra-San kills all the bacteria. It does not reduce or break down
the material effluent, which contains nutrients and changes the local
ecological balance.

Is this "damage" to the environment? It is, if you liked what was
growing there before.

DSK

Doug Dotson April 5th 05 01:27 PM

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Gogarty wrote:
The Lecteasan is a good gadget, though the proliferation of no discharge
zones into the open sea increasingly threatens it. When it is operating
properly the sewage is treated to almost sterile levels and causes no
harm whatever to the environment.

That's not entirely true.

The Lectra-San kills all the bacteria. It does not reduce or break down
the material effluent, which contains nutrients and changes the local
ecological balance.

Is this "damage" to the environment? It is, if you liked what was growing
there before.

Actually, eutrification is a much greater threat than bacterial
contamination.
That is why phosphates were removed from detergents many years
ago.

DSK

Peggie Hall April 5th 05 03:25 PM

Cam wrote:
Thanks Peggie, Based on that information it looks like a handy unit
to have. Anything specific I need to look for while inspecting it?
Actually, how would I inspect it? Since the boat batteries are
probably dead is there any manual inspection for it. It doesn't
appear that the previous owner has cared for the boat to well
including, probably, this unit.

There's no way to test it without power. Any visual inspection wouldn't
tell you anything...either the macerator and mixer motors run or they
don't...either the electrode pack works or it doesn't.

How old is it? The only way to tell is the type of controller. The
original Lectra/San had a dial timer--now obsolete, no parts still
available...that was replaced by the EC (electronic control)
version...the current version is the MC model. If it doesn't still have
the dial control, compare the control with the one in manual at the link
I gave you to know whether its the EC or the MC.

How is company support?

It's excellent.

Thinking of that are there specific models that need to be looked
for/avoided? How would I identify those?

As I said above, there are only 3 versions...the only real difference
between any of 'em is the controller...the treatment unit has actually
changed very little. If you were asking about buying a used one eBay,
I'd tell you to avoid the dial timer...but since it's already on the
boat, the system either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't, there could
be several reasons, some of which--like fuses--are not
expensive...others--electrode packs and controllers are...and it worries
me a bit that you say the boat has been neglected. So I wouldn't
consider it in deciding how much the boat is worth to you.

As for comments by others...

The Lectra-San kills all the bacteria.

Not necessarily...it does reduce the count to 10/100 ml (the law
requires only a reduction to 1000/100 ml)

It does not reduce or break
down the material effluent, which contains nutrients and changes the
local ecological balance.

Again, not quite true...The L/S does reduce BOD by 35%. The discharge
has the equivilant nutrient "load" of 4 oak leaves. In fact, just ONE
illegally dumped tank has more negative impact on the surrounding waters
within at least a mile than 1,000 boats, all equipped with L/S in the
same area for 24 hours. You'll find the results of a study he
http://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/...port-jun02.pdf

Runoff from the shore and the rivers that feed coastal waters are the
problem, not boats.

--
Peggie
----------

DSK April 5th 05 04:10 PM

I don't know if this part of the discussion has any impact or interest
for the original poster...

Peggie Hall wrote:
Not necessarily...it does reduce the count to 10/100 ml (the law
requires only a reduction to 1000/100 ml)

Picky picky... OK it doesn't kill *all* the bacteria, just so many of
them that it's actually safer than many people's drinking water.

It does not reduce or break
down the material effluent, which contains nutrients and changes the
local ecological balance.

Again, not quite true...The L/S does reduce BOD by 35%. The discharge
has the equivilant nutrient "load" of 4 oak leaves.

Didn't know that... that's very good. Probably better than many
municipal treatment outlets.

... In fact, just ONE
illegally dumped tank has more negative impact on the surrounding waters
within at least a mile than 1,000 boats, all equipped with L/S in the
same area for 24 hours.

Now there I'll agree. Most boaters... especially the ones advocating a
bucket -n- chuck it strategy... would not believe the impact of a single
untreated flush.

You'll find the results of a study he
http://www.mfe.govt.nz/publications/...port-jun02.pdf

Runoff from the shore and the rivers that feed coastal waters are the
problem, not boats.

The overwhelming part of the problem, yes. Absolutely. But because the
waters are already loaded with land source effluent, that magnifies the
effect of point-source effluent dump.

Most birds know better than to foul their own nests, why can't mankind
be that smart?

Regards
Doug King

Gogarty April 5th 05 04:16 PM

In article ,
says...

Gogarty wrote:
The Lecteasan is a good gadget, though the proliferation of no discharge
zones into the open sea increasingly threatens it. When it is operating
properly the sewage is treated to almost sterile levels and causes no harm
whatever to the environment.

That's not entirely true.

The Lectra-San kills all the bacteria. It does not reduce or break down
the material effluent, which contains nutrients and changes the local
ecological balance.

Is this "damage" to the environment? It is, if you liked what was
growing there before.

It is still a whole lot better than raw sewage. And I suspect that in sea water
where there is a daily tide range of eight feet or more and only
seasonal boating, eutrification is not a major problem, nowhere near the
amount caused by runoff from coastal lands.

Do you suppose that's where our oysters went? By the way, have you ever seen
the effluent from an oyster farm? Eeeyuuu!

Gogarty April 5th 05 04:58 PM

In article ,
says...

Most birds know better than to foul their own nests, why can't mankind
be that smart?

Where do sea birds poop? Just asking. :)

Stephen Trapani April 5th 05 05:03 PM

Gogarty wrote:

In article ,
says...

Most birds know better than to foul their own nests, why can't mankind
be that smart?

Where do sea birds poop? Just asking. :)

And meanwhile are there any mankind living in the actual water?

Stephen

DSK April 5th 05 05:18 PM

Gogarty wrote:
Where do sea birds poop? Just asking. :)

1- the birds were already there
2- the birds poop has different... and far less per "drop"... than humans
3- do you imagine there might be some Freudian issues of why some people
insist on their right to doo-doo in the water where other people are
sailing, swimming, etc etc.

DSK

Vito April 5th 05 07:37 PM

"DSK" wrote
3- do you imagine there might be some Freudian issues of why some people
insist on their right to doo-doo in the water where other people are
sailing, swimming, etc etc.

So, to avoid using my lectrosan I hold it til I get to shore and use the
potty in town. Where does it go? After treatment, it goes in the water where
other people are sailing, swimming, etc. - just like it would had I used the
'san. That's why the Cheasapeake is so, well, ****ty.

The problem is too many people but, as Pogo said, nobody wants to be the
first to leave.

Peggie Hall April 5th 05 09:25 PM

Vito wrote:
"DSK" wrote

3- do you imagine there might be some Freudian issues of why some people
insist on their right to doo-doo in the water where other people are
sailing, swimming, etc etc.

So, to avoid using my lectrosan I hold it til I get to shore and use the
potty in town.

The whole point of using a Lectra/San is to be able to use it in an
anchorage...the federal water quality standard for swimming requires a
bacteria count of 200...the bacteria count in a L/S discharge is 10.

Where does it go? After treatment, it goes in the water where
other people are sailing, swimming, etc. - just like it would had I used the
'san. That's why the Cheasapeake is so, well, ****ty.

Actually, it's not the reason...Boats have so little do with it that if
everything else could be "fixed," the small amount of waste that boats
contribute would actually become beneficial. The real reasons are many
and complex, starting with overfishing and depleting--compounded by a
virus that also kills off a lot of 'em--the oyster and crab and other
shellfish population, which are nature's "sewage treatment plant"...then
there's what all the rivers dump into the Bay...and the runoff directly
from the shore. It didn't happen overnight...it won't be cleaned up
overnight, nor are there any simple solutions. But a good start would be
a moratorium on shellfishing for at least 5 years...the watermen would
howl, but if the gov't can pay millions of farmers not to grow certain
crops, it can pay a few hundred waterman not to shellfish till the
population reaches a level again sufficient to process a good portion of
the pollutants. FYI, the shellfish and other "garbage eaters" in just
2500 healthy acres of bottom is enough to completely cleanse the waste
from a population of 100,000. (Surprised the hell out of me to learn
that too!).
--
Peggie
----------

DSK April 5th 05 10:37 PM

...Boats have so little do with it that if
everything else could be "fixed," the small amount of waste that boats
contribute would actually become beneficial.

As long as the risk of cholera, typhoid, etc etc, could be avoided, sure.

Dave wrote:
Never deprive an enviro of his fantasy, Peggy. It's like attacking Mom and
apple pie--likely to start a flame war.

I don't think anybody, no matter what their personal environmental
policy, would say that boaters are the majority of the problem. However,
a lot of people, myself included, do not believe in the pathetic excuse
that "a little more won't hurt."

This argument certainly won't get you very far with the police, and it
won't do much for Ma Nature either.

DSK

Peggie Hall April 6th 05 12:00 AM

DSK wrote:
...Boats have so little do with it that if everything else could be
"fixed," the small amount of waste that boats contribute would
actually become beneficial.

As long as the risk of cholera, typhoid, etc etc, could be avoided, sure.

And just how many boat owners do you know who have cholera, typhoid etc?
Have you ever even heard of a case that could be traced back to a
recreational boat?

Dave wrote:

Never deprive an enviro of his fantasy, Peggy. It's like attacking Mom
and
apple pie--likely to start a flame war.

I know...sigh

I don't think anybody, no matter what their personal environmental
policy, would say that boaters are the majority of the problem. However,
a lot of people, myself included, do not believe in the pathetic excuse
that "a little more won't hurt."

I never said that, nor even meant to imply it...what I said was, "IF
everything else could be fixed," the waste from boats wouldn't be an
issue. And I don't appreciate your twisting my words to suit your own
purpose.

--
Peggie
----------

Gogarty April 6th 05 02:10 AM

In article ,
says...

I don't think anybody, no matter what their personal environmental
policy, would say that boaters are the majority of the problem. However,
a lot of people, myself included, do not believe in the pathetic excuse
that "a little more won't hurt."

This argument certainly won't get you very far with the police, and it
won't do much for Ma Nature either.

Please don't invoke the police. They do what they are told to do. For a very
long time, because they know a whole lot better, the Coast Guard resisted
being put on "potty patrol." The Lectrasan is after all, a CG approved device.
But peple like you put enough pressure on politicians who don't know a bivalve
from a crustacian to force the CG into potty patrol. Pity. Shame.

Gogarty April 6th 05 02:26 AM

In article , says...

Most of the time I am a tree hugger, or close to it. But on this issue I am a
libertarian. I mean, I watch six boats in a huge lagoon, wetlands stretchin
beyond for miles, filled with fish and sea birds and shellfish -- guys over
there on the beach with their rakes -- and an eight-foot tide twice a day, and
those boats are going to cause a problem? Where is the common sense? All those
boats probaly have holding tanks. How is the Lectrasan going to contribute to a
problem that just does not exist?

At this particular place, the park service bars people from the beach from June
to August because the birds are breeding. Hmmm. On Memorial Day, July 4 and
Labor Day the place is posted. You may not take shellfish because of the vast
numbers of boats that come in. Hmmm. Do you suppose that the local authorities
tacitly admit that not everyone is environmentally correct?

At this place up to about five years ago you could get bushels of oysters by
just picking them off the beach at low tide. They have disappeared at about the
same time lobsters disappeared from Long Island Sound. And this over a time
when park people made boaters ever more unwelcome. Many fewer boats these days
than ten years ago. But clams are still plentiful. Something done 'em in. But
somehow, I don't think it was sewage discharge from recreational boats. (It's
those 22-footers with a girl sticking her bottom out over the stern you have to
look out for anyway. Pretty picture.)

DSK April 6th 05 12:54 PM

Peggie Hall wrote:
And just how many boat owners do you know who have cholera, typhoid etc?

None if they avoid swimming in contaminated water.

Have you ever even heard of a case that could be traced back to a
recreational boat?

Actually, yes. In an NC lake about 10 years ago. The culprit was a
rented pontoon boat.

I don't think anybody, no matter what their personal environmental
policy, would say that boaters are the majority of the problem.
However, a lot of people, myself included, do not believe in the
pathetic excuse that "a little more won't hurt."

I never said that, nor even meant to imply it...

No, you didn't. But folks like Gogarty and Dave imply it very strongly.
Not only that, their emotional reaction to the whole matter suggests
some Freudian issues.

.... And I don't appreciate your twisting my words to suit your own
purpose.

I didn't "twist your words" at all. Not in the slightest.

DSK

DSK April 6th 05 01:16 PM

Gogarty wrote:
Most of the time I am a tree hugger, or close to it. But on this issue I am a
libertarian. I mean, I watch six boats in a huge lagoon, wetlands stretchin
beyond for miles, filled with fish and sea birds and shellfish -- guys over
there on the beach with their rakes -- and an eight-foot tide twice a day, and
those boats are going to cause a problem?

Probably not.
Absent the 8 foot tide... which occurs relatively few places and for
damn sure not on the Chesapeake or LIS... and then what?

At this place up to about five years ago you could get bushels of oysters by
just picking them off the beach at low tide. They have disappeared at about the
same time lobsters disappeared from Long Island Sound.

???

Now you're going into pure fantasy. Oyster (and other commercial
fishing) on LIS took a steep downturn about 1900, and has never come
back up.

If you like analogies, here's one for you... The only water supply you
have is a pond. It has a certain amount of things already living in it.
It also has a group of people dumping their toilet into it. How large do
you want that pond to be? How much of it's shoreline should be wetlands
or marsh?

You could hypothesize an 8 foot tide if you like, but that will just
move the crap around within the pond.

OK, you've got the ecological balance to your liking, and you're happy
with your drinking water. Now have somebody come and dump their toilet
right over your water intake. Does that change things?

Regards
Doug King

Gogarty April 6th 05 01:32 PM

In article ,
says...

No, you didn't. But folks like Gogarty and Dave imply it very strongly.
Not only that, their emotional reaction to the whole matter suggests
some Freudian issues.

Hey! You raised that, not me, which suggests to me that you may have some
Freudian issues.

Vito April 6th 05 03:46 PM

"DSK" wrote
If you like analogies, here's one for you... The only water supply you
have is a pond. It has a certain amount of things already living in it.
It also has a group of people dumping their toilet into it. How large do
you want that pond to be? How much of it's shoreline should be wetlands
or marsh?

You could hypothesize an 8 foot tide if you like, but that will just
move the crap around within the pond.

OK, you've got the ecological balance to your liking, and you're happy
with your drinking water. Now have somebody come and dump their toilet
right over your water intake. Does that change things?

Unfortunately, that describes most the world. The Potomac starts above
Cumberland, Md and every town along the way dumps its sewage into it. Ditto
all the other rivers feeding the bay. By the time it reaches tidal Va the
once-sandy bottom is mud - except it isn't mud it's fecal material. The
Rappahannoc is better cuz Fredricksburg bought up the shore above town back
in the 1800s to preserve their drinking water so it don't become a sewer til
downstream.

We pass expensive laws that cut pollution but then in a few years the
population gets bigger and we're right back where we started.

The "enviro" that gets me is the one that wants to save the environment for
his four kids. I don't mind dumping near his intake - I gotta dump
somewhere - but I do use a lectrosan.

Lars Johansson April 7th 05 08:33 AM

Someone one in this thread or another similar said that you might as well
empty you holdingtank at sea.
If you pump out in a marina it gets dumped in the sea anyway. Is that
really the case in the U.S.?
Does not it not get treated first to remove both bacteria and nutrients?

/Lars J

Peggie Hall April 7th 05 05:44 PM

Lars Johansson wrote:
Someone one in this thread or another similar said that you might as well
empty you holdingtank at sea.

Only well away from shore...in the US, that means only in open ocean at
least 3 miles from the nearest point on the whole US coastline.

If you pump out in a marina it gets dumped in the sea anyway. Is that
really the case in the U.S.?
Does not it not get treated first to remove both bacteria and nutrients?

Yes...it goes to a sewage treatment plant. All sewage treatment plants
everywhere empty into some body of water--lake, river, ocean. However,
unfortunately in many cases heavy rains do result in overflow spills of
untreated sewage into the waters.

--
Peggie
----------

captkeywest April 8th 05 03:45 PM

Peggie Hall wrote:

Only well away from shore...in the US, that means only in open ocean

at
least 3 miles from the nearest point on the whole US coastline.

Peggie: why not explain about the sections of US coastline w/nine mile
limit?

thanks, CKW

BTW:

http://www.cs-bb.com/forums/CSBB/index.cgi/read/11888

Peggie Hall April 8th 05 05:34 PM

captkeywest wrote:
Peggie Hall wrote:

Only well away from shore...in the US, that means only in open ocean

at

least 3 miles from the nearest point on the whole US coastline.

Peggie: why not explain about the sections of US coastline w/nine mile
limit?

Only one place in the whole country: the Gulf coast side of FL south of
Tampa Bay...and the legal distances there actually vary from 6 to 9 to
12 miles. Which makes a Lectra/San even more attractive in those waters
'cuz it can be used inside any limit (except in the Keys and Destin
Harbor, which are the only two "no discharge" zones in FL on either
side--in fact, the only ones in the whole Gulf).

Have you started your pumpout boat service yet?
--
Peggie
----------

captkeywest April 8th 05 05:48 PM

Peggie Hall wrote:

Have you started your pumpout boat service yet?

LOL, -- thought I was being nice !

Didn't mean to prompt you into tossing out your integrity with that
type of response,

How does it feel to lower yourself to Jax's caliber of fabricated
innuendo?

Peggie Hall April 8th 05 06:01 PM

captkeywest wrote:
Peggie Hall wrote:

Have you started your pumpout boat service yet?

LOL, -- thought I was being nice !

Didn't mean to prompt you into tossing out your integrity with that
type of response,

How does it feel to lower yourself to Jax's caliber of fabricated
innuendo?

There was no innuendo intended... I really did think you planned to do
that. There's certainly nothing wrong with running a mobile pumpout
service...they can be very profitable in heavily populated ND waters.
But your reaction makes it very obvious I was mistaken...sorry!

--
Peggie
----------

Gogarty April 8th 05 07:27 PM

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message ...

captkeywest wrote:
Peggie Hall wrote:

Have you started your pumpout boat service yet?

LOL, -- thought I was being nice !

Didn't mean to prompt you into tossing out your integrity with that
type of response,

How does it feel to lower yourself to Jax's caliber of fabricated
innuendo?

There was no innuendo intended... I really did think you planned to do
that. There's certainly nothing wrong with running a mobile pumpout
service...they can be very profitable in heavily populated ND waters.
But your reaction makes it very obvious I was mistaken...sorry!

--
Peggie

Oh, Peggie, don't take it so hard. I'm sure it was all his mistake.
You're never mistaken ;-)

captkeywest April 9th 05 01:25 PM

Peggie Hall wrote:
I really did think you planned to do that.

I have NEVER had or REMOTELY EXPRESSED that intention. The truth is I
have NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to own ANY business in the Keys. The Cost of
Living has crippled the local workforce. I shun the concept of being
an employer in the Keys, been there done that.

There's certainly nothing wrong with running a mobile pumpout
service...they can be very profitable in heavily populated ND waters.

Agree with nothing wrong with running mobile pumpout service.

I don't think the Keys fit the definition of heavily populated to that
extent: AFAIK (As Far As I Know) there are two pumpout boats in the
Keys, one in Key West and one in Marathon, both are run by
municipalities. Its been a more than a year probably closer to two or
three since my last conversation with one of the city marina managers
on pumpout issues. The complaint then, was yes; the Grant money helps
pay for the _equipment_. (The City owns its own marina but a private
individual would also be burdened with slip rent) . In the revenue vs
expense arena the expense of staffing the pumpout vessel, Even ONE
fulltime operator working 40 hrs exceeds the revenue. It was the marina
managers assertion that Grants should be available to help STAFF the
service!

On Municiple Sewage Dumping, Letter to the Editor, from todays Key West
Citizen:

New law would

protect clean water

In a time when so many of our environmental protections are being
weakened, your readers should know that some of their leaders in
Washington are standing up for clean water in Florida. The Bush
administration in Washington has a plan to allow publicly-owned sewage
treatment plants to dump untreated sewage in our waters anytime it
rains, which would be disastrous for tourism, fishing, and public
health.

Congressional Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen took a stand against this
backward-thinking idea, and The Clean Water Network would like to thank
her and ask others to do the same. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen joined 134
other members of Congress, including 17 other Florida Congressional
Representatives, and Florida Senators Bill Nelson and Mel Martinez, in
signing a letter to the Environmental Protection Agency opposing this
policy. We applaud her leadership in protecting public health, our
economy and our waters. Now congressional leader Rep. Clay Shaw from
Ft. Lauderdale has introduced the "Save Our Waters from Sewage Act," to
try to stop EPA from moving forward with its sewage dumping policy.
Please take time to thank Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen and encourage her to
co-sponsor this important legislation.

Linda L. Young

Southeast Regional Director

Clean Water Network

Tallahassee

source of above:

http://www.keysnews.com/letterstoeditor.bsp.htm

and last, but not least ! my concerns on the Keys NDZ side with some of
the other posters
who expressed concern about nutrient loading issues. As boaters we
should be the First Line of Defense in trying to Sustain clean waters.

When we fail to control nutrient damage:

One Coral Researchers view on the front page of this weeks Solaries
Hill:

http://www.keysnews.com/weeklys/solareshill.pdf

--
Peggie
----------

and

Capt. Neal® April 9th 05 09:22 PM

"captkeywest" wrote in message oups.com...
Peggie Hall wrote:
[...]

snipped some

Good to see somebody else pointing out how clueless Peggie Hall is.

She's been too long sitting on her ass satisfied with mother-henning all
the mindless drones here who worship her outdated understanding of
clean water in places other than her pathetic little lake.

A tip of the full-to-the-brim cedar bucket to ya!

CN

Chris Newport April 9th 05 09:41 PM

Capt. Neal® wrote:

Good to see somebody else pointing out

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen April 11th 05 01:44 PM

This discussion has set me thinking about what is the final products
of the LectraSan. If it does electrolysis of sodium chloride, there is
bound to be production of sodium hypochlorite which creates
environmental problems of it own (when used for bleacing paper, for
example). When sodium hypchlorite reacts with organic matter, some toxic
organochlorines are formed. Does anyone know if this potential problem
has been investigated?

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.

Gogarty April 11th 05 02:37 PM

In article , says...

captkeywest wrote:
Peggie Hall wrote:

Have you started your pumpout boat service yet?

LOL, -- thought I was being nice !

Didn't mean to prompt you into tossing out your integrity with that
type of response,

How does it feel to lower yourself to Jax's caliber of fabricated
innuendo?

There was no innuendo intended... I really did think you planned to do
that. There's certainly nothing wrong with running a mobile pumpout
service...they can be very profitable in heavily populated ND waters.
But your reaction makes it very obvious I was mistaken...sorry!

--
Peggie

Oh, Peggie, don't take it so hard. I'm sure it was all his mistake.
You're never mistaken ;-)

I did not post this.

Peggie Hall April 11th 05 05:16 PM

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen wrote:
This discussion has set me thinking about what is the final products
of the LectraSan. If it does electrolysis of sodium chloride...

It does not. The Lectra/San creates hypochlorous acid by charging the
ions in salt water with electrical current. It's a very unstable
solution...it's hypochlorous acid as long as current is being
applied...but when the stimulus (electrical current) is removed it
reverts to salt water, leaving no free chlorines in the discharge.

Does anyone know if this potential problem
has been investigated?

Extensively...your concerns are unfounded.

--
Peggie
----------

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen April 13th 05 01:07 PM

Strange. By their own words, they definitely do elctrolysis of sodium
chloride (snipped from raritan web site):

The process starts with salt water in the treatment tank. NaCl --
Na+ + Cl- Sodium Chloride is a strong electrolyte so it exists in
water as sodium and chloride ions.

H2O -- H+ + OH- Through hydrolysis, water breaks into hydrogen ions
and hydroxyl ions.

The electrode pack is energized during the treatment cycle and
electricity passes through the conductive salt water. Hypochlorous
acid, a powerful bactericide and oxidizing agent, is produced on the
surface of the plates.

At the Anode: 2Cl- + OH- + H+ -- HCl + HOCl + 2e- Hydrochloric acid
and hypochlorous acid are produced, liberating two electrons.

At the Cathode: 2e- + 2 H+ + 2Na+ + 2OH- -- 2 NaOH + H2 The two
electrons, hydrogen ions, sodium ions and hydroxyl ions combine to
produce sodium hydroxide and some hydrogen.

The Net Reaction is: 2Cl- + 3OH- + 3H+ + 2Na+ -- HCl + HOCl + 2NaOH +
H2 With constant mixing from both motors, the products are mixed
together for continued reactions.

NaOCl + H2O -- NaOH + HOCl Hypochlorous acid (HOCl) is formed when
sodium hypochlorite reacts with water.

HOCl + XXXX -- HCl + XXXXOx Hypochlorous acid reacts with soil, dirt,
and bacteria giving up its oxygen; leaving hydrochloric acid.

HCl + NaOH -- H2O + NaCl The hydrochloric acid reacts with the sodium
hydroxide to form salt and water.

The usual explanation of reactions in a sodium chloride cell is this,
and I wonder how they make the reactions above happen instead of the
ones below.

Sodium hypochlorite/chlorate manufacturing process:

Electrochemical and chemical reactions occurring in cells
[1] 2Cl- == Cl2 + 2e- (anodic reaction)
[7] 2H2O + 2e- == 2OH- + H2 (cathodic reaction)
[8] Cl2 + 2OH- == OCl- + Cl- + H2O (hypochlorite formation)
[9] 3OCl- == ClO3- + 2Cl- (chlorate formation)
[12] NaCl + H2O == NaOCl + H2 (overall hypochlorite reaction)
[13] NaCl + 3H2O == NaClO3 + 3H2 (overall chlorate reaction)
[14] 3Cl2 + 6NaOH == NaClO3 + 5NaCl + 3H2O (chemical chlorate
formation)

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen April 13th 05 01:22 PM

Here is another view on the system (from a competitor, it seems :-)

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...chlorine&hl=nl

"PH" == Peggie Hall writes:

PH Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen wrote:
This discussion has set me thinking about what is the final products
of the LectraSan. If it does electrolysis of sodium chloride...

PH It does not. The Lectra/San creates hypochlorous acid by charging the
PH ions in salt water with electrical current. It's a very unstable
PH solution...it's hypochlorous acid as long as current is being
PH applied...but when the stimulus (electrical current) is removed it
PH reverts to salt water, leaving no free chlorines in the discharge.

Does anyone know if this potential problem
has been investigated?

PH Extensively...your concerns are unfounded.

PH --
PH Peggie
PH ----------
PH Peggie Hall
PH Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
PH Author "Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems
PH and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"

PH http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1

--
C++: The power, elegance and simplicity of a hand grenade.

Peggie Hall April 13th 05 04:42 PM

Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen wrote:
Here is another view on the system (from a competitor, it seems :-)

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...chlorine&hl=nl

A former competitor whose Type I MSD--the SeaLand SanX, which requires
the use of a formaldehyde based chemical, and barely treats to legal
standards was finally discontinued a couple of years ago. It's not just
the Lectra/San he lobbies against...it's the use of ANY treatment
device. Because the SeaLand device is the most environmentally
UNfriendly any Type I treatment device could be, he became a committed
advocate of universal "no discharge" in an effort defeat pending new
legislation that would have reduced the allowable bacteria count in the
discharge from treatment devices from it's current level of 1,000/100 ml
to 10/100 ml (which the SeaLand device could not come close to meeting,
but the Lectra/San does) and allowed the discharge of treated waste from
devices that met the new standard in all coastal waters including those
designated "no discharge." McKiernan was determined to defeat it rather
than risk losing sales of holding tanks to competitors' treatment devices.

I suggest you also read this:

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...20Response.pdf

--
Peggie
----------

Johnson April 13th 05 05:14 PM

In article , says...

captkeywest wrote:

Peggie Hall wrote:

Have you started your pumpout boat service yet?

LOL, -- thought I was being nice !

Didn't mean to prompt you into tossing out your integrity with that
type of response,

How does it feel to lower yourself to Jax's caliber of fabricated
innuendo?

There was no innuendo intended... I really did think you planned to do
that. There's certainly nothing wrong with running a mobile pumpout
service...they can be very profitable in heavily populated ND waters.
But your reaction makes it very obvious I was mistaken...sorry!

--
Peggie

Oh, Peggie, don't take it so hard. I'm sure it was all his mistake.
You're never mistaken ;-)

I did not post this.

Gogarty (the real one)

No you did not post this. In fact, a quick header check reveals that
Capt. Kneel posted it and forged your name to it.

He's taken to doing so of late.

I'd guess that since someone embarassed him by proving beyond a doubt
that he is mentally inferior, he is venting on the group.