Default Boating and disability

All during my peak physical years I wanted to own a 30 to 40 foot boat
for fishing and relaxing on the water. I had to be satisfied with
smaller boats in the 16 to 18 foot range. Now that I have the finances
to buy something in the 40 foot range I am wondering if I would be
physically capable of handling all the duties that maintaining and
handling a boat in the 40 foot plus size would entail. I have back pain
that limits my mobility to just walking and standing for a minute or so
without support. I am hoping to spend most of my time on one of the
Missouri River Lakes in North or South Dakota in the warm weather
months and dry dock it during the winter. During the ice free months I
do hope to live on it though. I will probably opt for an enclosed
houseboat for that reason. Do any of you have physical handicaps
similar to mine and own a boat in that size? Are there any problems you
can't handle on your own? Do you have any special equipment that has
helped make your boating experience easier and more enjoyable? What
kind of services do Marina's usually provide ( emptying holding tanks,
fresh water etc.)? Is there any special equipment you would order on a
boat from the factory that would make life aboard easier?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA,
Dennis

Rosalie B.

" wrote:

All during my peak physical years I wanted to own a 30 to 40 foot boat
for fishing and relaxing on the water. I had to be satisfied with
smaller boats in the 16 to 18 foot range. Now that I have the finances
to buy something in the 40 foot range I am wondering if I would be
physically capable of handling all the duties that maintaining and
handling a boat in the 40 foot plus size would entail. I have back pain
that limits my mobility to just walking and standing for a minute or so

I can walk up to a half mile, but can't stand for very long without
pain. So I sit where I can. But I'm not singlehanding our boat
(which is a sailboat). I don't know exactly what 'handling' a
houseboat would require. Are you going to anchor or stay in a marina.

I would just suggest that you be sure to get a good mattress for the
bunk that you will be sleeping in. And get a powered windlass if you
intend to anchor.

without support. I am hoping to spend most of my time on one of the
Missouri River Lakes in North or South Dakota in the warm weather
months and dry dock it during the winter. During the ice free months I
do hope to live on it though. I will probably opt for an enclosed
houseboat for that reason. Do any of you have physical handicaps
similar to mine and own a boat in that size? Are there any problems you
can't handle on your own? Do you have any special equipment that has
helped make your boating experience easier and more enjoyable? What
kind of services do Marina's usually provide ( emptying holding tanks,
fresh water etc.)? Is there any special equipment you would order on a
boat from the factory that would make life aboard easier?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA,
Dennis

grandma Rosalie

Thanks Rosalie,
The good matress will be high on my list of priorities for sure.