Larry W4CSC

"Jim Donohue" wrote in
news:FkE0e.132$ZV5.56@fed1read05:

After playing controller on Pac Sea Net for a few years the boats that
get out well almost exclusively have backstay antennas.

Jim Donohue

There's a new QSL on Lionheart's nav station. Braggin' rights...(c;

Japan from Charleston on 20 meters, 14.208 Mhz. He was runnin' 100W. I
was running 150W. Backstay tuned with Icom AT-130 is 55' to the insulator.
Next time the mast is serviced, two new insulators are going to be
installed, one on each end of the triattic and a new cable installed from
the bottom of the top backstay insulator to the forward end of the
triattic, making it even longer with a horizontal top component, more like
a ship.

Longer is better, especially below 10 Mhz.

I'd take my modified, 650 watt TenTec Hercules II solid state linear on
trips in the boat, but the tuner is maxed out. POWER is our FRIEND....

It only draws 120A at 650W keydown on RTTY...(c;

Doug Dotson

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
"Jim Donohue" wrote in

After playing controller on Pac Sea Net for a few years the boats that
get out well almost exclusively have backstay antennas.

Jim Donohue

There's a new QSL on Lionheart's nav station. Braggin' rights...(c;

Japan from Charleston on 20 meters, 14.208 Mhz. He was runnin' 100W. I
was running 150W. Backstay tuned with Icom AT-130 is 55' to the
insulator.

Big deal. I have worked Australia and the south pacific on 20M with my 23'
whip.

Next time the mast is serviced, two new insulators are going to be
installed, one on each end of the triattic and a new cable installed from
the bottom of the top backstay insulator to the forward end of the
triattic, making it even longer with a horizontal top component, more like
a ship.

Longer is better, especially below 10 Mhz.

I'd take my modified, 650 watt TenTec Hercules II solid state linear on
trips in the boat, but the tuner is maxed out. POWER is our FRIEND....

It only draws 120A at 650W keydown on RTTY...(c;

Vito

"Larry W4CSC" wrote
I'd take my modified, 650 watt TenTec Hercules II solid state linear on
trips in the boat, but the tuner is maxed out. POWER is our FRIEND....

Then why QRP? :-)

Doug Dotson

Larry prefers brute force over skill.

"Vito" wrote in message
"Larry W4CSC" wrote
I'd take my modified, 650 watt TenTec Hercules II solid state linear on
trips in the boat, but the tuner is maxed out. POWER is our FRIEND....

Then why QRP? :-)

Larry W4CSC

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Larry prefers brute force over skill.

It's why BBC doesn't run 100 watts....

Larry W4CSC

"Vito" wrote in
:

Then why QRP? :-)

They're only L-16 batteries....(c;

Jim Donohue

It is consistency that matters. In general successful net operators
generally use beams, power and elevation. Even at that there comes the day
when you are still shut out. The nets work because they have multiple
operators thousands of miles apart.

You need to be able to make contact when you want or need to. Not when
conditions are perfect. I can often work Japan when conditions are
right..but what I really want is to work the S. Pacific well almost every
night.

Power is over-rated. You have to hear the other station. Does no good to
only be heard.

Whips are relatively effective on the large ships...but they have the
wonderful ground systems.

Outbackers and whips are simply compromises...nothing works like length.

Jim Donohue

[...]

Bruce in Alaska

In article kuX0e.244$ZV5.197@fed1read05,
"Jim Donohue" wrote:

It is consistency that matters. In general successful net operators
generally use beams, power and elevation. Even at that there comes the day
when you are still shut out. The nets work because they have multiple
operators thousands of miles apart.

You need to be able to make contact when you want or need to. Not when
conditions are perfect. I can often work Japan when conditions are
right..but what I really want is to work the S. Pacific well almost every
night.

Power is over-rated. You have to hear the other station. Does no good to
only be heard.

Whips are relatively effective on the large ships...but they have the
wonderful ground systems.

Outbackers and whips are simply compromises...nothing works like length.

Jim Donohue

Back in the day....all the West Coast Marine Electronics Techs used to
show the Big Bucks Yatch'it Owners that their very cool, shiney, new,
SSB Radio worked so good that they could even get KMI (Pt. Reyes, CA)
on 12 Mhz, anytime day, or night, with 150Watts....... Big deal,
KMI had Phased Rhombics, Multi-Kw Transmitters, and at the time. the
quietest Receiving Location in the Eastern Pacific. It didn't mean
squat, as far as how good the boat installation was. I have worked
KMI from the test bench, and the transceiver on a Bird Dummy Load.
All it takes is for the band to be really open, but if the band is
closed it takes a REALLY GOOD Antenna and RF GROUND System to do any
comunicating at all.

Any compromise on RF Ground, and Antenna is going to effect the
communications on poor band days...........the more compromised the
system is, the worse the communicating is going to be......

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Larry W4CSC

"Jim Donohue" wrote in

Power is over-rated. You have to hear the other station. Does no
good to only be heard.

Ah, but when BOTH stations have power.....ahhhh....

Biggest linear I ever owned was a homebrew pair of 4-1000A tetrodes with
graphite plates on RTTY. Hmm....6000V at 950ma....That's about a kilowatt,
ain't it?....Ah fergit...