Default Best AM / FM / CD for marine use ?

Looking for advice on which radio / CD player to buy for marine
environment [sailboat, mounted in the cabin, Islander 29']. There's
some out there that are "marinized" with epoxy coating to the
electronics, some that are "water resistant", and the Poly-Planar MRD -
60 which is supposedly "watertight".

Tending to go with the Poly-Planar except they seem to have a very bad
customer service history. Would welcome your responses and experiences
you've had with your radios.

Thanking you in advance,

Trent Sanders
S/V Cimba
Marina Del Rey
Southern California

Rich Hampel

No difference between marinized versions and a standard 'automotive'
version. The automotive versions are much cheaper and just as
durable - just 'seal/solder' all the wiring connections.

Keith

Clarion marine seems to have a good reputation. BTW, you could coat your own
circuit boards... it's called "conformal coating" and you can probably find
some at a good local electronics place. You can also search the web, or see
http://www.humiseal.com/coatings.htm

--

Keith
__
wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking for advice on which radio / CD player to buy for marine
environment [sailboat, mounted in the cabin, Islander 29']. There's
some out there that are "marinized" with epoxy coating to the
electronics, some that are "water resistant", and the Poly-Planar MRD -
60 which is supposedly "watertight".

Tending to go with the Poly-Planar except they seem to have a very bad
customer service history. Would welcome your responses and experiences
you've had with your radios.

Thanking you in advance,

Trent Sanders
S/V Cimba
Marina Del Rey
Southern California

boatgeek

Marine radios are clear coated for their circuit board. Truthfully,
I'm not sure how much that helps, but if I were mounting one in my
cockpit for a motorboat, then I'd really consider it. I know that
there are many components on a regular radio (which I just had to
replace) like a grounding plate which had rusted to dust in the saloon
of our catamaran.

Frankly, getting a marine version couldn't hurt anything assuming that
the price isn't that difference. Here's a link for 9 different
models from Crutchfield, they seem to be maybe around 20% more
expensive than the others, so it's not a bad choice if it has the
functionality you are looking for.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rbeZBua...p.asp?g=221050