renewontime dot com

Default Good Carolina (US) sailing school?

wrote:
I am a self-taught sailor, competent on a smaller sailboat (21-foot
daysailer), been sailing for a few years.

I would like to enroll in a sailing school with the goal of eventually
being qualified to do a bareboat charter of a larger boat (prob a 35')
from Charleston, SC to Bermuda and back.

Can anyone recommend a good sailing school either in NC or SC that
will best enable me to achieve this goal?

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Here's the list of American Sailing Association schools in the area
you're looking:

http://www.american-sailing.com/lear...southeast.html

I haven't sailed on the East coast in over 20 years, so I can't say for
certain, but I would imagine you may have a problem chartering a
bareboat to take to Bermuda. Most bareboat charters (due to insurance
and liability limitations) are restricted to fairly short distances in
fairly protected waters... I don't think your trip would fall under
that category, but you might want to call some charter companies to get
the final word.

--

=-------------------------------------------------=
Renewontime
Larry W4CSC

wrote in
:

I am a self-taught sailor, competent on a smaller sailboat (21-foot
daysailer), been sailing for a few years.

I would like to enroll in a sailing school with the goal of eventually
being qualified to do a bareboat charter of a larger boat (prob a 35')
from Charleston, SC to Bermuda and back.

Can anyone recommend a good sailing school either in NC or SC that
will best enable me to achieve this goal?

Thanks,

Sam

http://www.oceansail.com/
School's right here in Charleston.

http://www.thehullschool.com/welcome.htm
Also here in Charleston at City Marina downtown.

http://www.american-sailing.com/lear...southeast.html
Here's a list of sailing schools in NC and SC....

Want your captain's license? No problemo! Sea School is also located in N
Charleston where the Mark Clark Expressway crosses over Rivers Avenue in
the Shopping Center next to the Red Cross Building...

The US Coast Guard on the end of Tradd Street in downtown Charleston has a
full Marine Safety Office, which includes one of the only three CG license
testing facilities left on the East Coast. NY and Miami are the others.
You can take any class license test at the MSO that CG offers, right here
in town.

Jere Lull

In article ,
wrote:

Jere wrote:
Doing specialized course work is pretty much wasted money except for
your personal comfort.

What do you mean exactly? All of the big sailing schools I've
researched offer a bareboat charter course. How else am I going to
get the experience I need (short of having a buddy with a 35' boat,
which I don't).

Most charterers lie on their resumes. It's expected. Courses can be
meaningless. We chartered with a couple who had recently "successfully"
"completed" all of that outfit's charter courses on the same type of
boat we chartered, then done a couple weeks' charter. Couldn't trust
either of them to get anything right.

The captain familiarizing you with your charter boat will make the final
estimation of your capabilities. If your questions are good and your
preps are fairly organized, you're cleared. If not, they "suggest" a
friendly skipper who will be with you for as long as it takes

'Course, the first time in an area, I will request a local captain for
the first day so we can pick his/her brains on where and when to go for
what *we* want to do. Often, that cost can be applied directly to your
next charter -- once is rarely enough.

Once you've demonstrated your skills by returning the boat in pretty
much the same shape, you're set for just about anything anywhere.

Our Xan is only 28' & 7000#, but we can charter any boat: Monohull to
51', Cats to 49' so far.

Taking a course will help you be more comfortable and give you a bit of
info, but you *will* pause as you first back several million dollars'
worth of fiberglass away from the dock.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

Rosalie B.

Jere Lull wrote:
I am a self-taught sailor, competent on a smaller sailboat (21-foot
daysailer), been sailing for a few years.

I would like to enroll in a sailing school with the goal of eventually
being qualified to do a bareboat charter of a larger boat (prob a 35')
from Charleston, SC to Bermuda and back.

Can anyone recommend a good sailing school either in NC or SC that
will best enable me to achieve this goal?

Bareboating certification, as far as I can tell, is your charge card.
They let me take a 50' boat out even though my primary boat was a 21'
MacGregor, about as close as you can get to a dink in a boat that can be
slept in. (I've done about 30 weeks' chartering since.)

That's not what I've heard about bareboat charters at all. My
understanding is that one must prove he has experience skippering the
same size boat as he wants to charter.

I agree with Jere. If you have the bucks, you can pretty much charter
what you want.

Doing
specialized course work is pretty much wasted money except for your
personal comfort.

What do you mean exactly? All of the big sailing schools I've
researched offer a bareboat charter course. How else am I going to
get the experience I need (short of having a buddy with a 35' boat,
which I don't).

That's one way of them making money. They will be glad to take your
money and give you the course, which may or may not make you really
competent to charter.

Let me put it another way.

I knew almost nothing about sailing. My husband (who learned to sail
knockabouts at the USNA) wanted to buy a sailboat. We did two crewed
charters. Then we bought a boat which is called a CSY 44, but is
really about 50 feet and weighs 37,000 lbs.. My husband's idea was
that we could teach ourselves without paying a whole lot of money to
bareboat (and I'm sure he could have done it if he had been willing to
pay) or to do a bareboat course.

I wanted a bit more than that, so I took the beginning course, and the
advanced beginner course at a sailing school, and then we took the
CGAux Boating and Coastal Navigation courses. The rest has been in
the school of hard knocks.

Chartering to Bermuda is, in my opinion, a waste even if you can find an
outfit that'll let you do it.

Why would an outfit refuse to "let me do it"?

Why would they want you to take a boat out into the Atlantic for 3
weeks?. How would you get in touch with them if something went wrong?
They don't want to lose their equipment. If you really want to go to
Bermuda on a sailboat, volunteer to crew for someone.

After a few hours, it's mostly boring.

Our goal is to do quite a bit of international cruising. I'm sure a
lot of that is "boring" too, if you define boring as open-ocean
sailing. We don't. But whatever floats your boat.

If you want to do international cruising, the stuff between big pieces
of land is really easy. It's the stuff around the edges of the land
that's hard. That's what you have to learn.

There's a reason that the charter operations are where they are.

And that reason is...?

That there is somewhere interesting to sail to without endangering the
boat.
grandma Rosalie
Skip Gundlach

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
Taking a course will help you be more comfortable and give you a bit of
info, but you *will* pause as you first back several million dollars'
worth of fiberglass away from the dock.

DAYUM (southern expletive of amazement), Jere,

What kinda boats do you charter?? :{))

L8R

Skip, whose direct charters were on 5-figure boats (some shoulda been 4),
but that's what we came for

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Rosalie B.

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach sez use my name at earthlink dot
fishcatcher (net) - with apologies for the spamtrap wrote:

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
Taking a course will help you be more comfortable and give you a bit of
info, but you *will* pause as you first back several million dollars'
worth of fiberglass away from the dock.

DAYUM (southern expletive of amazement), Jere,

What kinda boats do you charter?? :{))

With us it is as much what we might crash the boat into, rather than
the actual charter boat itself.

Most of the time the problem is coming IN to the dock, and often that
is because the people giving us the directions do not realize that we
don't have a fin keel and that we DO have a very heavy boat, which
would make a big dent in the big multi-zillion $$ yacht, or smash to
smithereens the little sports fish at the dock (which is parked in a
completely inappropriate place, but if we smashed it the owner would
still be mad). Or because they've failed to warn us about cross
currents that we can't see or something else equally egregious.

L8R

Skip, whose direct charters were on 5-figure boats (some shoulda been 4),
but that's what we came for

grandma Rosalie

Jere Lull

In article ,

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
Taking a course will help you be more comfortable and give you a bit of
info, but you *will* pause as you first back several million dollars'
worth of fiberglass away from the dock.

DAYUM (southern expletive of amazement), Jere,

What kinda boats do you charter?? :{))

Check the cost of a nearly 50' cat.... 'Twas us and 8 others, of course,
which comes out pretty affordable.

--
Jere Lull