Howard Peer

Default ADVICE ON MOORING AND STORAGE IN CAPE BRETON OR ISLE MADAME NOVASCOTIA

I'm looking for some local advice on costs to store a boat on Cape
Breton and/or Isle Madame, Nova Scotia.

It would be a 36' LOA steel sailboat.

I'm considering sailing it for about a month a year and then storing it
hte rest of the time.

Baddeck and Dundee Marine want $.50 per square foot per month. LOA X
Beam gives about $200/month. Ouch.

Yet I hear tales that local yards will do it for about $1 a foot (not
square foot) or about $36/month.

I can't seem to find a marina or whatever in Arichat or therabouts.

Many thanks,

Howard
Ken Heaton

Comments below:

"Howard Peer" wrote in message
rvers.com...
I'm looking for some local advice on costs to store a boat on Cape
Breton and/or Isle Madame, Nova Scotia.

It would be a 36' LOA steel sailboat.

I'm considering sailing it for about a month a year and then storing it
hte rest of the time.

Baddeck and Dundee Marine want $.50 per square foot per month. LOA X
Beam gives about $200/month. Ouch.

Yet I hear tales that local yards will do it for about $1 a foot (not
square foot) or about $36/month.

I can't seem to find a marina or whatever in Arichat or therabouts.

Many thanks,

Howard

Here is a useful site to start with, the Nova Scotia Yachting Association.
From there you can find member clubs:
http://www.nsya.ns.ca/
such as the Isle Madame Boat Club:
http://www.islemadame.com/imbc/
or the St. Peter's Lions Club Marina: (902)
535-2729
Sorry, I don't know anything about either of them.

The Royal Cape Breton Yacht Club has no storage facilities. Most members
store their boats at the Dobson Yacht Club (see below). The Royal doesn't
seem to currently be maintaining a web site.

The Northern Yacht Club, in Sydney Harbour, has storage facilities and a
travel lift. Their web site is out of date but there is contact information
listed:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/kastephen/index.htm

The people I sail with keep their boats at the Dobson Yacht Club, also in
Sydney Harbour. The Dobson does not currently maintain a web site but can
be contacted at the Bar: (902) 562-0515 or Office: (902) 562-0062. The
following are last year's membership, slip, storage and lift fees for a
sailboat over 25' and less than 50' I don't know if the fees have increased
at all this year:

Yacht Club Full Membership $86.25 per year per member, usually only one
member required per boat. I don't think you have to be a member if you just
want to store your boat but I'm not certain.

Seasonal Lift using the club's Travel Lift, twice per season, once out, once
in (incl. Operator) $140.00 per lift = $280.00

Seasonal Storage Over 25' and less than 50 feet $230.00 total for the full
winter season. (that's not far from the mythical $1.00 a foot you mention
above). You supply the storage cradle or stands for your boat, not the
club. And con leave it/them in the yard all year for your storage fee. If
you don't have one it would be easy to have one built locally.

Marina Slips (for the full summer season) $402.50 All slips are the same
size and so are the same price and can handle a boat up to about 40' in
length. Longer boats dock at the camber or quay wall. A slip is not
required if you don't intend to keep your boat at the Dobson for the summer
as you stated above. Slips can also be rented by the day as well for short
stays. (all above fees include all taxes/HST)

Here is a great resource on Bras d'Or Lakes cruising information:
http://www.jimthompson.net/brasdor/

Hope this helps.
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada

Courtney Thomas

There's:

Isle Madame Boat Club
Port Hawkesbury Yacht Club
Lennox Passage Yacht Club

in the immediate area, all of which are inexpensive, as well as several
other haul out/storage options.

Courtney

Howard Peer wrote:

I'm looking for some local advice on costs to store a boat on Cape
Breton and/or Isle Madame, Nova Scotia.

It would be a 36' LOA steel sailboat.

I'm considering sailing it for about a month a year and then storing it
hte rest of the time.

Baddeck and Dundee Marine want $.50 per square foot per month. LOA X
Beam gives about $200/month. Ouch.

Yet I hear tales that local yards will do it for about $1 a foot (not
square foot) or about $36/month.

I can't seem to find a marina or whatever in Arichat or therabouts.

Many thanks,

Howard

--
s/v Mutiny
Rhodes Bounty II

Don White

Ken...I saw a number of good size yachts on the hard at Dundee marina. I
suppose that's a bit far away from the strait.
http://www.dbmarina.com/

Howard Peer

Don White wrote:
Ken...I saw a number of good size yachts on the hard at Dundee marina. I
suppose that's a bit far away from the strait.
http://www.dbmarina.com/

Dundee and Badeck Marine are run by the same people and have the same
rates. They want something like $.50/square foot (LOA times Beam) per
month. Moorage rates are similar.

Sticker shock!

It was those rates that got me to write the original e-mail and see if I
coud do somewhat better.

From these responses it sounds like I can if I am willing to move my
boat in and out of the lakes.

Many thanks to all who have responded.
Ken Heaton

The OP (original post) mentioned Dundee , but felt their prices were too
high:

"Baddeck and Dundee Marine want $.50 per square foot per month. LOA X
Beam gives about $200/month. Ouch.

Yet I hear tales that local yards will do it for about $1 a foot (not
square foot) or about $36/month.

I can't seem to find a marina or whatever in Arichat or thereabouts."

I believe Baddeck charges more as they are more full service, arrive to a
boat that is in the water and ready to go, whereas the local clubs provide
the storage and in some cases the travel lift but you do the work yourself.
I don't know about Dundee.

"Don White" wrote in message
Ken...I saw a number of good size yachts on the hard at Dundee marina. I
suppose that's a bit far away from the strait.
http://www.dbmarina.com/

Ken Heaton

Comments below:

"Howard Peer" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Don White wrote:
Ken...I saw a number of good size yachts on the hard at Dundee marina.

suppose that's a bit far away from the strait.
http://www.dbmarina.com/

Dundee and Badeck Marine are run by the same people and have the same
rates. They want something like $.50/square foot (LOA times Beam) per
month. Moorage rates are similar.

Sticker shock!

It was those rates that got me to write the original e-mail and see if I
coud do somewhat better.

From these responses it sounds like I can if I am willing to move my
boat in and out of the lakes.

Many thanks to all who have responded.

Howard & Courtney, I've just run across a web site for the Strait of Canso
Yacht Club:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/kanders/
also, another site of interest:
http://cbyachtrace.ca

--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin
Cape Breton Island, Canada
kenheaton AT ess wye dee DOT eastlink DOT ca

Howard Peer

Ken,

Thanks for the links. I was looking for the Canso Yacht Club and was
unable to find it, even with Google.

It looks interesting and nice.

Don White wrote:

Ken...I saw a number of good size yachts on the hard at Dundee marina.

suppose that's a bit far away from the strait.
http://www.dbmarina.com/

Dundee and Badeck Marine are run by the same people and have the same
rates. They want something like $.50/square foot (LOA times Beam) per
month. Moorage rates are similar.

Sticker shock!

It was those rates that got me to write the original e-mail and see if I
coud do somewhat better.

From these responses it sounds like I can if I am willing to move my
boat in and out of the lakes.

Many thanks to all who have responded.

Howard & Courtney, I've just run across a web site for the Strait of Canso
Yacht Club:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/kanders/
also, another site of interest:
http://cbyachtrace.ca

Ken Heaton

Don White wrote:
Ken...I saw a number of good size yachts on the hard at Dundee marina.

suppose that's a bit far away from the strait.
http://www.dbmarina.com/

Dundee and Badeck Marine are run by the same people and have the same
rates. They want something like $.50/square foot (LOA times Beam) per
month. Moorage rates are similar.

Sticker shock!

It was those rates that got me to write the original e-mail and see if I
coud do somewhat better.

From these responses it sounds like I can if I am willing to move my
boat in and out of the lakes.

Many thanks to all who have responded.

If the marina at St. Peters is to your liking you wouldn't have to move your
boat out of the lakes at all as it is at the lake end of the St. Peters
Canal. I drove by there today and noticed there are 5 sail boats stored on
stands or cradles at the marina. St. Peter's Lions Club Marina: Barry Mac
Neil, Commodore, WMAYC (Wallace MacAskill Yacht Club) P.O. Box 43, River
Bourgeois, B0E 2X0 (902) 535-2729 or (902)
625-3475.

PS: An interesting program being offered at St. Peters last summer and again
this summer:
http://www.cpaont.org/level2.tpl?var...20040521191756