gunny

Default Mercruiser 898 cooling problem

Cooling problem even Merc techs can't answer.
Engine temp at 200-210 F, exh manifolds port, 140-160 F, Stbd over 200 F.
Unit has new intake water pump and engine circ pump. Standard sea-water cooling.
Manifolds boiled out with acid, rodded, flushed. Equal water flow thru both on water flow test.
Exh elbows new, new thermostat, sender and guage, new engine circ pump.
No broken hosesand It appears it is determined to defy all laws of thermodynamics.

Why didn't I just satisfy my fishing urges from the bank ?????????

Any suggestions, other than put to sea, set fire and call Coast Guard ??

gunny
Semper Fi !!

Tim

I could be totally wron on this, but I believe the 898 is a small block
chevy 305 CI Engine.

Now this is a wild shot but if this is a new or a fresh reman enging,
it's possible tht somebody could have put one of the intake manifold
gaskets on backwards.

(Yes..it can be done)

What happens is that there are coolant ports that flow water fromt he
head to the intake manifold for circulation,a nd it's quite possible
that if a gasket is backwards, a channel could be blocked off, thus
halting the circulation. The only way to find out is to pull the
intake manifold and inspect the gaskets.

Another is check the engine timing. if it isn't up to spec or is
running retarded advance, it will make the engine run hot due to the
spark is firing the fuel too late.

other thant hat... I really don't know.

Good Luck!
Tim

Brian Whatcott

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:16:58 GMT, "gunny" wrote:

Cooling problem even Merc techs can't answer.
Engine temp at 200-210 F, exh manifolds port, 140-160 F, Stbd over 200 F.
Unit has new intake water pump and engine circ pump. Standard sea-water cooling.
Manifolds boiled out with acid, rodded, flushed. Equal water flow thru both on water flow test.
Exh elbows new, new thermostat, sender and guage, new engine circ pump.
No broken hosesand It appears it is determined to defy all laws of thermodynamics.

Why didn't I just satisfy my fishing urges from the bank ?????????

Any suggestions, other than put to sea, set fire and call Coast Guard ??

gunny
Semper Fi !!

Cylinder head leak.

Brian W
Larry W4CSC

Brian Whatcott wrote in
:

Cylinder head leak.

Brian W

Or running too lean for a variety of reasons....clogged carbs, clogged
injection, manifold gasket leaking, cracked intake manifold, loose vacuum
hoses.....

Wanna bet he left gas in the carbs during storage?

Problem with 3 hp Sears Gamefisher / Tanaka 300 dazed and confuzed Boat Building 5 January 28th 05 02:46 PM
Math Problem SkitchNYC ASA 102 March 5th 04 12:43 AM
fresh cooling water Aron Tvedt UK Power Boats 3 November 4th 03 01:10 PM
Mercruiser tilt problem, help Jodon2 General 3 September 21st 03 03:37 AM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM