Default cooling a diesel

I have no idea why this thought occurred to me, maybe its just that an
idle mind generates bad ideas.

So...., take the coolant out of your diesel engine and instead run your
fuel line from your fuel filter to your water pump. Eliminate the
mechanical fuel pump and cool the engine with diesel. High pressure
pump would pick up from the cooling jacket. Diesel not sucked up by
high pressure pump goes back tot eh tank. Does this have ANY merit?
You get rid of some complexity in reducing your number of pumps, you
get rid of the anti-freeze, does preheating the diesel have any merit?
She cant over heat, if its too cold for the diesel to flow through the
cooling channels, she just wont run at all, but she wouldnt run with
antifreeze coolant either.

Rich Hampel

You're right about the bad idea.
..... and what are you going to do with the extra 140000 BTU per hour
that you load back into the fuel tank?
Where on your diesel are you going to fit a 15-20 gallon per minute oil
pump?
Can you spell: B O O O O O O O M ?

Did you attend a USA public school system? g

Damn, I'm starting to post like JAX...............

In article . com,
wrote:

I have no idea why this thought occurred to me, maybe its just that an
idle mind generates bad ideas.

So...., take the coolant out of your diesel engine and instead run your
fuel line from your fuel filter to your water pump. Eliminate the
mechanical fuel pump and cool the engine with diesel. High pressure
pump would pick up from the cooling jacket. Diesel not sucked up by
high pressure pump goes back tot eh tank. Does this have ANY merit?
You get rid of some complexity in reducing your number of pumps, you
get rid of the anti-freeze, does preheating the diesel have any merit?
She cant over heat, if its too cold for the diesel to flow through the
cooling channels, she just wont run at all, but she wouldnt run with
antifreeze coolant either.

Roger Long

This would be great for the cooling passages in the engine. Diesel is
basically oil so the engine should last forever. I wonder why no one
ever thought about this before?

Only drawback I can see is that the fuel in the tank would be hot
enough to be an explosion hazard in just a few minutes. That's not a
big problem though, just run a coil of pipe around in the tank and
pump seawater through it with a pump belt driven off the engine.

Hmm, as long as we have that pump running, why not just circulate the
water through either the engine block (raw water cooling) or the heat
exchanger (fresh water cooling)? No, I guess it doesn't make that
much sense after all.

--

Roger Long

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

rhys

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 01:46:06 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

Damn, I'm starting to post like JAX...........

Not while you still have "a clew".

R.
Jere Lull

In article ,
"Roger Long" wrote:

This would be great for the cooling passages in the engine. Diesel is
basically oil so the engine should last forever. I wonder why no one
ever thought about this before?

Water transfers heat much more effectively. I agree with the BOOM factor.

--
Jere Lull

FS 6.5KW diesel genset $1000 in St. Petersburg, FL Skip Gundlach Marketplace 1 July 31st 05 04:58 AM
The Diesel Engine winder General 3 January 23rd 05 02:59 PM
fresh cooling water Aron Tvedt UK Power Boats 3 November 4th 03 01:10 PM
Diesel outboard? Jack Rye Cruising 4 August 28th 03 08:34 PM
Cooling water output - Universal 11hp/2cyl/ diesel ??? RichH Cruising 0 August 4th 03 04:14 PM