Doug Dotson

Default Thoughts on the Sundowner Tug?

Anyone have experience with a Sundowner Tug. Are they good boats?
What is their lineage?

Doug
s/v Callista

DSK

Doug Dotson wrote:
Anyone have experience with a Sundowner Tug.

Yes. My wife and I have had one for a couple of years now.

...Are they good boats?

Yep. At least, I think so, and I've had my hands deep into the guts of
the thing by now.

What is their lineage?

Well, they were designed by the West Coast NA Lynn Senour. I tend to
think of them as a sensibly powered take-off of the Nordic Tugs, which
came out first. They were built in Taiwan which is a mixed blessing, the
workmanship is outstanding in many ways and surprisingly primitive in
others. The hulls are built stronger than anything I've ever seen
before, I wonder if they thought they were building battleships. OTOH
they did things like cut out a big triangle of 1" plywood and jam it in
place as the forepeak sole, no access under it. The wiring is about
average for production boats of their era (which makes them terrible by
modern standards but outstanding for Taiwan boats). The joinery is
gorgeous. They have far far too much exterior varnish. The Ford Lehman
engine is a workhorse. I could go on and on.

Are you looking at a Sundowner? Look at a bunch of comparable aged Albin
trawlers and Grand Banks, crawling through the bilge etc etc. Then take
a close look at the Sundowner. We looked at a couple dozen trawlers and
thought the Sundowner was outstanding.

Hope this helps.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Doug Dotson

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Doug Dotson wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info Doug. I remember that you were talking about maybe
getting a trawler when you stopped by for a visit. What model do you
have? The one that is for sale in Baltimore is a 30'.

Doug
s/v Callista

DSK

Doug Dotson wrote:
Thanks for the info Doug. I remember that you were talking about maybe
getting a trawler when you stopped by for a visit. What model do you
have? The one that is for sale in Baltimore is a 30'.

You're welcome. We got a 36' and it's not really big enough, partly
because of my wife's reading habits and partly because of my tools. I'm
thinking of sawing it in half and lengthening it by 5 or 6 feet.

http://community.webshots.com/album/73345252UJzhAS

BTW you all still listening to that Jethro Tull cd, or ready for the
next one?

DSK

R.W. Behan

Can't comment on the Sundowner, but boy, do we love TUGS. Bought a Lord
Nelson Victory Tug 37 last May, having finally had to say goodbye to our
dear old dowager Westsail 32. We can't say enough about going slowly,
comfortably, and traditionally. Just stay away from those hot
twin-gas-engine 30 knot screamers.

Cheers,

Dick Behan
LNVT "Annie"

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in message
Anyone have experience with a Sundowner Tug. Are they good boats?
What is their lineage?

Doug
s/v Callista

strange cruising thoughts Parallax Cruising 49 October 26th 04 01:12 PM
Any thoughts Steven Bennett Touring 8 April 15th 04 03:37 PM
Some chilling thoughts on winter boating. Mad Dog Dave General 0 January 15th 04 11:28 PM
Any thoughts regarding the Navman series of GPS/Chartography units? Jordan Electronics 2 August 14th 03 05:38 PM