just me

Are you saying that SC charges property tax on boats that stay there?
Is it an annual tax?
Do many states on the east coast do that?
Do you have to be in their waters for a certain period of time for the tax
to be levied?

Larry W4CSC

"just me" wrote in
news
Are you saying that SC charges property tax on boats that stay there?
Is it an annual tax?
Do many states on the east coast do that?
Do you have to be in their waters for a certain period of time for the
tax to be levied?

Only resident boats are taxed. I know transients that have been here for
years...

Personal Property Tax is very steep, here, on NEW boats/cars/planes/and
anything else that moves with an engine that has a license attached to it.
However, taxes are very cheap on OLD boats/cars/etc. that are beyond the
blue books. My nice 1983 Mercedes is $13/yr. You'll find a lot of older
cars/boats/etc. lovingly restored and maintained here. A NEW Mercedes will
cost you thousands per year. I don't want one.

6.5% sales tax, except 8.5% on bars/restaurants/accomodations. 7% income
tax is also imposed. Gasoline tax is 34.3c/gal. Diesel is 39.3c/gal.
Diesel at the marina isn't taxed, but I think gas is...?? It still costs
more because of the marina ripoffs.

Gas is $1.74 for regular this morning in Charleston. Diesel for my truck
is $1.89/gal including the awful taxes because the Damned Yankees are still
heating their houses with it this time of year. What's fuel cost at your
gas stations? Diesel at Ashley Marina was about $2/gal last time I looked.

I'm going out to C&W Buffet for lunch about 2ish. $4.99 will buy you 1
American food hotbar, 2 Chinese food hotbars, 1 fruit bar, 1 dessert bar,
one soft ice cream machine but you have to buy your drinks separately.
They stamp your card each time you eat there. When you get 6 stamps, your
7th meal is free, a nice rebate to us "Frequent Fryers"...(c; The food is
delicious, even at this price. With all the chandeliers, mirrored walls,
mirrored ceiling tiles and fancy furniture, the place first looks like a
Las Vegas Whorehouse...(c; A pretty, young Vietnamese girl will hold my
hand while she takes me to my table. I already got my $5 worth by the time
we get there...hee hee. If you don't see the sushi you like, they'll make
it for you, fresh. Noone goes home hungry. A teapot of Chinese tea made
the way it's supposed to be is about $1.25 extra.

It's still pretty cheap to live in Charleston. You can buy a nice home
here for lots less than Florida. Check it out:
http://www.sciway.net/reloc/chasres.html

JR Gilbreath

Hi Larry
Is there an empty slip next to yours? You make it sound so inviting
that I thought I would come up and visit you.
JR Gilbreath

Larry W4CSC wrote:
"just me" wrote in
news

[...]

Joe Kovacs

Yes.

Do many states on the east coast do that?

Some do. Some tax more, some less.

The national marina operators association is lobbying the US
government to get _all states to charge 4% property tax on
boats, whatever a marina association's interest in taxing
might be.

Do you have to be in their waters for a certain period of

time for the tax
to be levied?

You have to be found there by the tax man, who prowls around
marinas, creeks and anchorages looking for boats to tax.

--
Joe

Joe Kovacs
SV Sea Breeze

M Gallagher

I don't want to sound rude but you need to provide more info. The St. Johns
interesects with the ICW in Jacksonville. S of the ICW are several marinas,
public and private and E & W on the St. Johns are many more. Duval County
and Jacksonville are synomous and encompass a huge area. There are no
marinas that I recall, N of the St. Johns on the ICW. Tidal ranges are about
3' normally not everywhere so this isn't a fair answer.
"just me" wrote in message
Im considering movimg my boat from TX to Jacksonville in the spring.
Can anyone provide recommendations on marinas there?
I'd prefer one with floating docks and finger piers, as well as a yard
that can do a bottom job. Also, what is the tide range there?
Thanks, Jay

Larry W4CSC

JR Gilbreath wrote in
:

Hi Larry
Is there an empty slip next to yours? You make it sound so inviting
that I thought I would come up and visit you.
JR Gilbreath

Plenty of empty slips near us in Charleston City Marina, just beyond CG
Base Charleston where you turn south off the Ashley River into Wappoo Cut
to go down the ditch. This morning the huge expedition ship on the face
dock set sail. There's room for your 170'er out there, now! Sure looked
big from the 12' Folda-Bote...(c;

Come on up/down! City (or Ashley Marina for that matter) have hourly vans
to downtown attractions or you can simply walk across the peninsula past
houses that listened to Confederate guns on The Battery, which ends at the
CG Base, shelling Ft Sumter during The Unpleasantness in 1861.

BTW, Charleston was, again, voted #1 in manners and hospitality in the USA.

If you drag your feet a few weeks, the restaurant/cafe/lounge that was
Pusser's in the Old Rice Mill building right in the middle of the City
Marina will be open as a new one, again. The J-dock gang anxiously awaits
its re-opening....(c; Our J-dock tiki bar won't be open for a few more
weeks while the palm fronds for the thatched roof are collected.

If you're fed up with waterfront fish houses, we can drive the 35 miles up
to Ridgeville, SC, for the best SC open-pit BBQ on Thurs-Sat. Friendliest
Rednecks in the South. I took some French and French-Canadian sailors up
there, once. I don't think rural Rednecks ever heard French spoken, first
hand, before...hee hee. My guests seemed to like it. They all ate 3 or 4
plates in the all-you-can-eat elegant atmosphere on picnic tables and old
kitchen furniture inside the former car repair shop...(c; You'll get used
to the $5/person price.. It's the most cholesterol you can get for your
buck...

I'm easily plied with drinks and snacks.....

JR Gilbreath

Hey Larry
I might well see you up there. We are usually on the way to the
Bahamas by now but are going to have to stay closer this year due to
some medical problems of a couple members of my family.
I don't have a 170' footer but do have a 40 with a raymarine radar
that hasn't given any problem in three years and I bet Brunswick gets as
hot and steamy as Charleston.
If I get up it will be later on in the year, it is cold as hell out
on the water, especially at night.
Also I never get tired of seafood (or drinks if it is cold beer).

Cheers
JR

Larry W4CSC wrote:
JR Gilbreath wrote in
:

[...]

Larry W4CSC

JR Gilbreath wrote in
:

If I get up it will be later on in the year, it is cold as hell out
on the water, especially at night.
Also I never get tired of seafood (or drinks if it is cold beer).

Cheers
JR

Let me know on here when you're coming and I'll get you my cell number.

City Marina's is 843-723-5098 to reserve your slip.