Scott Vernon

"Dave" let slip....

The goat locker and crew's quarters were amid ship.

How convenient.

Ship must have been designed by a CPO.

Sounds like a Kiwi designed it.

SV

Patricia Cierniak

Absolutely, After doing the Atlantic three times East to West (when I
delivered boats), catching the head of one Hurricane, and the tail of
another plus losing a boat off Tennerife I can say that a 45 boat (again it
depends which type make and model) would survive rough seas, Eg I would not
take a Beneteau or a Hunter through some of my experiences however would do
so with a Westerly, or a Cheoy Lee.
"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Dave" let slip....

The goat locker and crew's quarters were amid ship.

How convenient.

Ship must have been designed by a CPO.

Sounds like a Kiwi designed it.

SV

DSK

Patricia Cierniak wrote:
Absolutely, After doing the Atlantic three times East to West (when I
delivered boats), catching the head of one Hurricane, and the tail of
another plus losing a boat off Tennerife I can say that a 45 boat (again it
depends which type make and model) would survive rough seas, Eg I would not
take a Beneteau or a Hunter through some of my experiences however would do
so with a Westerly, or a Cheoy Lee.

Do you say Cheoy Lee because you think they are well-built seaworthy
boats, or because you want to get them out of your country?

Wether or a not a boat of a given size can survive a wave of given size
is dependent on a *lot* of variables, of which the brand name stamped on
it is one of the least significant.

How steep is the wave? How much of the crest is breaking? Is it one of a
series or train of normal waves for prevailing conditions, or is it a
"freak" wave?

Research suggests that boats can be capsized by waves of height equal to
their beam, so a wave higher than the boat is long could be dangerous. A
capsize or roll-over can sink a boat, or it could tear the rig off, or
it could come back up with relatively nothing worse than a big mess in
the cabin (unlikely but possible).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Capt. Mooron

"DSK" wrote in message

Research suggests that boats can be capsized by waves of height equal to

their beam, so a wave higher than the boat is long could be dangerous.

Research suggests that does it? Good Grief!

CM

DSK

Capt. Mooron wrote:
... Good Grief!

Well, that's certainly an intelligent comment. Can we expect more to follow?

DSK

Capt. Mooron

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Capt. Mooron wrote:
... Good Grief!

Well, that's certainly an intelligent comment. Can we expect more to
follow?

I don't know Doug... how can one argue with "Research suggests"... I mean
what more can I add?

CM

DSK

Capt. Mooron wrote:
I don't know Doug... how can one argue with "Research suggests"... I mean
what more can I add?

What more, indeed. One wonders why you added anything in the first place.

Have you ever sailed in waves as high as your boat's beam? I have. It
seemed unlikely that they would capsize the boat. OTOH given a
lightweight beamy boat and waves that are steep & violent, it's plausible.

DSK

Capt. Mooron

"DSK" wrote in message

What more, indeed. One wonders why you added anything in the first place.

That's the Thanks I get for being agreeable.....???

Have you ever sailed in waves as high as your boat's beam?

Oh yes Doug... I'm certain you've done it all... and nobody here has ever
sailed in seas the height of their beam! Gosh knows that would never happen
to me... way up here on the North Friggin' Atlantic!! Sheesh!

I have. It seemed unlikely that they would capsize the boat. OTOH given a
lightweight beamy boat and waves that are steep & violent, it's plausible.

I'm certain if you look around ... you'll find research to suggest that. I
do believe that your original statement regarding this premise was as
follows:

Wether or a not a boat of a given size can survive a wave of given size

is dependent on a *lot* of variables, of which the brand name stamped on
it is one of the least significant.

I think a Hunter might meet the research criteria you stated....
OOPS...there goes a brand name.
Nonetheless..... I doubt a 10 ft ocean wave is going to capsize my
vessel... even if it's breaking and beam to.
In 60 ft of water at the mouth of the bay here that opens onto the
Atlantic... I get waves to 30+ feet and breaking.
I've not only managed to turn my sailboat 360 degrees in those waves... but
in a 30 ft Cape Islander fishing boat... on many occasions.
I guess you just learn to deal with the ocean conditions if you want to go
out in that kind of weather.

CM
..

DSK

Capt. Mooron wrote:
Oh yes Doug... I'm certain you've done it all... and nobody here has ever
sailed in seas the height of their beam! Gosh knows that would never happen
to me... way up here on the North Friggin' Atlantic!! Sheesh!

You seema touch defensive. Did I imply that nobody had ever had any suc
experience?

Nonetheless..... I doubt a 10 ft ocean wave is going to capsize my
vessel... even if it's breaking and beam to.

That was the point of my earlier post. Perhaps it wasn't made clearly
enough. Conditions that may result in a wave-induced rollover don't seem
as dangerous as the physics suggest they are.

In 60 ft of water at the mouth of the bay here that opens onto the
Atlantic... I get waves to 30+ feet and breaking.

While current-driven overfalls can get pretty bad, I'd be surprised if
60' deep water ever gets 30' waves.

I've not only managed to turn my sailboat 360 degrees in those waves... but
in a 30 ft Cape Islander fishing boat... on many occasions.
I guess you just learn to deal with the ocean conditions if you want to go
out in that kind of weather.

And if "learning to deal with the conditions" results in a few capsizes
or broken-up boats, then what? Very limited margin for error and a very
steep learning curve.

DSK

JAXAshby

dougie, you used to be a hunter 19 sailor, but even that was too much for your
old body so you bought an easier to handle trawler. please refrain from
commenting on things ocean.

A **breaking** wave, not just any wave. And even then the boat has to be
broadside to the wave.

*breaking* wave does not mean "white caps". breaking waves occur in shallow
water, one of the reasons experienced ocean sailor travel outside the hundred
fathom line.