Bob

Default boating in phoenix area

considering a move to phoenix. can't really find any boating info
beyond some local lakes. also, 'yachtworld' shows 4 pontoon boats and
1 express cruiser for sale in the entire state...and that's it.

is there any boating in the phoenix area?

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field
Keith Hughes

Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:52:31 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

considering a move to phoenix. can't really find any boating info
beyond some local lakes. also, 'yachtworld' shows 4 pontoon boats and
1 express cruiser for sale in the entire state...and that's it.

is there any boating in the phoenix area?

======================================

Depends on your definition of near...

http://www.nps.gov/lame/

No...it depends on your definition of 'boating'. Phoenicians own many
tens of thousands of boats, but mostly of the bass-fishing or water
skiing variety. For these folks, there's Lake Pleasant, Bartlett,
Saguaro, Canon, Apache, and Roosevelt lakes. All within an hour or so,
depending on where in the valley you live.

The only two decent sailing lakes are Pleasant (30 miles north of
Phoenix) and Roosevelt, the furthest of the Salt river lakes (1-2 hours
towing a boat, and depending on where you live). The other lakes are
canyon lakes, and the winds are light, variable, and very sqirrelly.
Pleasant and Roosevelt have more consistent winds, though still not great.

Keith Hughes

renewontime dot com

Depends on your definition of near...

While teaching sailing in San Diego, I had a surprising number of students
from Phoenix and elsewhere in Arizona. I wouldn't call San Diego -near-
Phoenix by any means, but there are a significant number of Arizonans that
make the commute to the coast a couple weekends a month. In fact, you could
tell just how hot the desert was by how many Arizona license plates you'd
see in the marina parking lot ;-)

You're also not much further from the Sea of Cortez, another great cruising
spot.

Paul

Bob

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 19:14:01 -1000, "renewontime dot com"
wrote:

Depends on your definition of near...

While teaching sailing in San Diego, I had a surprising number of students
from Phoenix and elsewhere in Arizona. I wouldn't call San Diego -near-
Phoenix by any means, but there are a significant number of Arizonans that
make the commute to the coast a couple weekends a month. In fact, you could
tell just how hot the desert was by how many Arizona license plates you'd
see in the marina parking lot ;-)

You're also not much further from the Sea of Cortez, another great cruising
spot.

as i did some casual poking around on the net san diego seems to be
about the closest area for serious boating...about 350 miles or
so...makes for a good long weekend

thanks for the info.

Paul

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field

Keith Hughes

renewontime dot com wrote:
Depends on your definition of near...

While teaching sailing in San Diego, I had a surprising number of students
from Phoenix and elsewhere in Arizona. I wouldn't call San Diego -near-
Phoenix by any means, but there are a significant number of Arizonans that
make the commute to the coast a couple weekends a month.

Yep, I've been one of 'em for the last 13 years. I live in NE phoenix,
and Harbor Island is 376 miles (5 hours, 20 minutes if you miss the rush
hours) from my door. Not a bad commute. *And* the slips in SD are
cheaper than they are at Lake Pleasant marina.

That said, Lake Pleasant is not all that bad if you want to sail a small
boat. We sailed a Lido 14 there for a while, and a friend regularly
sails his Holder there. Be aware though that sailing the lakes anywhere
around Phoenix in the summer is pretty brutal. Water temp gets in the
high 80's, and you'll want to get in it pretty frequently, and the air
temp can easily be 110°+ out on the lake. OTOH, you'd have had great
sailing last weekend with a nice breeze, and temps near 80°, so there're
upsides too.

Keith Hughes

Bob

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:16:08 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:52:31 GMT, (Bob) wrote:

considering a move to phoenix. can't really find any boating info
beyond some local lakes. also, 'yachtworld' shows 4 pontoon boats and
1 express cruiser for sale in the entire state...and that's it.

is there any boating in the phoenix area?

======================================

Depends on your definition of near...

http://www.nps.gov/lame/

hi wayne...looks like that's a busted link.

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field
Wayne.B

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:56:16 GMT, (Bob) wrote:
======================================

Depends on your definition of near...

http://www.nps.gov/lame/

hi wayne...looks like that's a busted link.

==================================

Not for me. If it is still failing for you, try a Google search on
"Lake Mead National Recreation Area" or failing that, just plain "Lake
Mead".

Lake Mead is behind Hoover Dam on the Arizona/Nevada border and has
some incredibe scenery. The driving distance to Lake Mead from
Phoenix is about 270 miles vs 360 miles to San Diego.

Jeff Morris

Bob wrote:
considering a move to phoenix. can't really find any boating info
beyond some local lakes. also, 'yachtworld' shows 4 pontoon boats and
1 express cruiser for sale in the entire state...and that's it.

is there any boating in the phoenix area?

http://www.sailtexas.com/arizonaclub.html
Bob

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:20:33 -0500, Jeff Morris
wrote:

Bob wrote:
considering a move to phoenix. can't really find any boating info
beyond some local lakes. also, 'yachtworld' shows 4 pontoon boats and
1 express cruiser for sale in the entire state...and that's it.

is there any boating in the phoenix area?

http://www.sailtexas.com/arizonaclub.html

good website...thanks much